Prefer __init_subclass__ over pyqtWrapperType

Prefer __init_subclass__ over pyqtWrapperType

Ilya Kulakov
Hi,

PEP 487 introduced new means of class customization at creation. It's more convenient as it allows to avoid
meta class conflicts.

Would you consider replacing pyqtWrapperType for Python 3.6+? Do you think it's technically possible?

I understand that it's not backward compatible with code that introspects mro.
Perhaps this can be configured at compile time or runtime (via env variable or alike)?

Best Regards,
Ilya Kulakov

Re: Prefer __init_subclass__ over pyqtWrapperType

Phil Thompson-5
On 5 Dec 2017, at 11:54 pm, Ilya Kulakov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> PEP 487 introduced new means of class customization at creation. It's more convenient as it allows to avoid
> meta class conflicts.
>
> Would you consider replacing pyqtWrapperType for Python 3.6+? Do you think it's technically possible?
>
> I understand that it's not backward compatible with code that introspects mro.
> Perhaps this can be configured at compile time or runtime (via env variable or alike)?

The main argument against is the extra work and complexity for little benefit.

I would consider it for PyQt6 when I can drop support for older versions of Python.

Phil