Problem with I-Search when Using IPython in VSCode's Integrated Terminal

Problem with I-Search when Using IPython in VSCode's Integrated Terminal

Carl Smith
Hi,

I was just trying out VSCode, Microsoft's open source editor. It's pretty nice and has an integrated terminal emulator. The terminal works fine with a regular bash shell, but whenever I use IPython there, it has this weird issue where it opens I-Search after almost every input. If I enter `ls` say, it prints the directory contents, then the prompt jumps to the bottom of the screen, where an `I-Search:` prompt appears. It doesn't happen with IPython in a regular terminal emulator, only with IPython in VSCode. It makes IPython unusable there.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask about this. Can anyone help me get rid of it?

-- Carl Smith

Re: Problem with I-Search when Using IPython in VSCode's Integrated Terminal

Thomas Kluyver-2
Hi Carl,

No idea what's going wrong there. Feel free to open an issue on IPython to try to work it out.

Thomas

On 3 February 2017 at 21:38, Carl Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I was just trying out VSCode, Microsoft's open source editor. It's pretty nice and has an integrated terminal emulator. The terminal works fine with a regular bash shell, but whenever I use IPython there, it has this weird issue where it opens I-Search after almost every input. If I enter `ls` say, it prints the directory contents, then the prompt jumps to the bottom of the screen, where an `I-Search:` prompt appears. It doesn't happen with IPython in a regular terminal emulator, only with IPython in VSCode. It makes IPython unusable there.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask about this. Can anyone help me get rid of it?

-- Carl Smith

Re: Problem with I-Search when Using IPython in VSCode's Integrated Terminal

Fernando Perez

On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 10:31 AM, Carl Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Thomas. I'll see if I can figure it out first. Just thought it was worth asking here, as I was at a loss, and it's one of those things that are hard to search for on Google.

FWIW, Carl, I use VSCode regularly and just tested, and at least with current VSC (1.10) and master IPython, I can't seem to reproduce the problem you mention.  Do let us know if it recurs, I think there's a few of us who have switched to VSCode and may be able to help.

Re: Problem with I-Search when Using IPython in VSCode's Integrated Terminal

Carl Smith

FWIW, Carl, I use VSCode regularly and just tested, and at least with current VSC (1.10) and master IPython, I can't seem to reproduce the problem you mention.  Do let us know if it recurs, I think there's a few of us who have switched to VSCode and may be able to help.

​Thanks mate. Will do. To be honest, I pretty sure now that it's something wrong with my local setup. I do have some keyboard hacks configured, so may have just shot myself in the foot. Sorry for the noise.