Problems compiling and installing PyGTK 2.24.0

Problems compiling and installing PyGTK 2.24.0

Dedeco Balaco
Hello,

I am trying to compile and install PyGTK 2.24.0 to build Gajim, my aim.
There is something wrong with my PyGTK install because:

1) Gajim still says it "needs PyGTK 2.22 or above". I have installed 2.24.0!

2) PyGTK installed it where it wanted, but when I call it from a Python
prompt, gtk reports another version.

Detailing what I said above:

1. To install PyGTK 2.24.0 (
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/pygtk/2.24/ ), pygobject >=
2.21.3 was needed, tar.bz of 2.21.3 here:
https://launchpad.net/pygobject/+milestone/2.21.3 There were no problems
with pygobject.

2. PyGTK reported, before building:
==
The following modules will be built:
atk
pango

The following modules will NOT be built:
pangocairo
gtk
gtk.glade
gtk.unixprint

Numpy support: no
==

2.1. What should I do to build those in the "NOT" section? They seem to
be used by Gajim.

3. After building PyGTK successfully, the installer reported:

==
Libraries have been installed in:
    /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/gtk-2.0
==

3.1. I have showed these steps, and a few more about what I did with
Gajim, in the Gajim dev. list¹. They showed me a couple of python
commands that should have worked. Maybe you will know what I should do
for them to work, since I have installed PyGTK. They did not say what
the problem is, possibly they also do not understand. The python snippet
is here, copied from my terminal with output, and with comments I added
there:

==
$ python
Python 2.6.5 (r265:79063, Feb 27 2014, 19:44:14)
[GCC 4.4.3] on linux2
 >>> import gtk
 >>> gtk.gtk_version
(2, 20, 1)    # this should be 2/24/0! Why it is not?

==

What I should do?

--
   Dedeco

Re: Problems compiling and installing PyGTK 2.24.0

andy pugh

On 23 June 2017 at 15:15, Dedeco Balaco <[hidden email]> wrote:

What I should do?

Use QT?

I have never seen any question get a single answer on this mailing list.

--
atp
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics."

Re: Problems compiling and installing PyGTK 2.24.0

Pietro Battiston-2
Il giorno ven, 23/06/2017 alle 15.59 +0100, andy pugh ha scritto:

> On 23 June 2017 at 15:15, Dedeco Balaco <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > What I should do?
>
> Use QT?

That is, rewrite gajim in QT?

> I have never seen any question get a single answer on this mailing
> list.

Some answers are worse than no answer. This said, indeed this ML has
been mostly deserted since the advent of introspection (Gtk+ 3).
Unfortunately, Gajim still relies on Gtk+ 2.

I'm afraid the OP didn't even state which system he is trying to
install gajim on, but on my Debian system, it is apparently as simple
as
  apt-get install gajim

Cheers,

Pietro

Em 23-06-2017 12:17, Pietro Battiston escreveu:

> Il giorno ven, 23/06/2017 alle 15.59 +0100, andy pugh ha scritto:
>>
>> On 23 June 2017 at 15:15, Dedeco Balaco <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> What I should do?
>>
>> Use QT?
>>

> That is, rewrite gajim in QT?

Hopefully, this is just an ironic comment, just a kind of joke.

>> I have never seen any question get a single answer on this mailing
>> list.
>
> Some answers are worse than no answer. This said, indeed this ML has
> been mostly deserted since the advent of introspection (Gtk+ 3).
> Unfortunately, Gajim still relies on Gtk+ 2.
>
> I'm afraid the OP didn't even state which system he is trying to
> install gajim on, but on my Debian system, it is apparently as simple
> as
>    apt-get install gajim

I do not want to install Gajim with a DEB package. I want to compile and
install it from source. This implied in getting a few more source codes,
but I do not matter.

Right now, the important aspect of my problem seems to be the facts that
1) I compiled and installed PyGTK but 2) 'python' command do not
recognize that installation when it imports 'gtk'. This situation has
been like that since weeks ago. I imagined the solution could be with
something else to install, some argument to be passed to a configure
script (that I could not find by myself), or something to be set in the
running environment (shouldn't it have been done when 'make install' was
done?).

This is an old machine running Ubuntu 10.04. But I have been using
currect source code with their dependencies satisfied. So it should not
matter much. Debian family aspects and steps are possibly welcome, but
only if they are building from source too, and not installing ready
packages (packages that were built, somewhere, somehow!).

Il giorno ven, 23/06/2017 alle 12.43 -0300, Dedeco Balaco ha scritto:

> Em 23-06-2017 12:17, Pietro Battiston escreveu:
> > Il giorno ven, 23/06/2017 alle 15.59 +0100, andy pugh ha scritto:

> > > Use QT?
> > >

> > That is, rewrite gajim in QT?
> >

> Hopefully, this is just an ironic comment, just a kind of joke.

Mine was a joke, yes.

> > > I have never seen any question get a single answer on this
> > > mailing
> > > list.
> >
> > Some answers are worse than no answer. This said, indeed this ML
> > has
> > been mostly deserted since the advent of introspection (Gtk+ 3).
> > Unfortunately, Gajim still relies on Gtk+ 2.
> >
> > I'm afraid the OP didn't even state which system he is trying to
> > install gajim on, but on my Debian system, it is apparently as
> > simple
> > as
> >    apt-get install gajim
> >

> I do not want to install Gajim with a DEB package. I want to compile
> and
> install it from source. This implied in getting a few more source
> codes,
> but I do not matter.
>
> Right now, the important aspect of my problem seems to be the facts
> that
> 1) I compiled and installed PyGTK but 2) 'python' command do not
> recognize that installation when it imports 'gtk'. This situation
> has
> been like that since weeks ago. I imagined the solution could be
> with
> something else to install, some argument to be passed to a configure
> script (that I could not find by myself), or something to be set in
> the
> running environment (shouldn't it have been done when 'make install'
> was
> done?).
>
> This is an old machine running Ubuntu 10.04. But I have been using
> currect source code with their dependencies satisfied. So it should
> not
> matter much. Debian family aspects and steps are possibly welcome,
> but
> only if they are building from source too, and not installing ready
> packages (packages that were built, somewhere, somehow!).

You can just "apt-get source", "dpkg-buildpackage" and "dkpg -i" gajim
and each of its dependencies (including Build-depends) separately.

But given that your python/gtk install is apparently messed up, you
might need to clean up the mess first.

People on #debian-python would probably be able to help you better than
me (I can at most suggest to check/compare sys.path and the output of
"print gtk")... but in their place, I guess I would just answer "if you
install libraries from upstream sources, you should know what you are
doing".

Cheers,

Pietro

Em 23-06-2017 13:18, Pietro Battiston escreveu:

> Il giorno ven, 23/06/2017 alle 12.43 -0300, Dedeco Balaco ha scritto:

>>> That is, rewrite gajim in QT?
>>>

>> Hopefully, this is just an ironic comment, just a kind of joke.
>>

> Mine was a joke, yes.

>>> Some answers are worse than no answer. This said, indeed this ML
>>> has
>>> been mostly deserted since the advent of introspection (Gtk+ 3).
>>> Unfortunately, Gajim still relies on Gtk+ 2.
>>>
>>> I'm afraid the OP didn't even state which system he is trying to
>>> install gajim on, but on my Debian system, it is apparently as
>>> simple
>>> as
>>> Â Â Â apt-get install gajim
>>>

>> I do not want to install Gajim with a DEB package. I want to compile
>> andÂ
>> install it from source. This implied in getting a few more source
>> codes,Â
>> but I do not matter.
>>
>> Right now, the important aspect of my problem seems to be the facts
>> thatÂ
>> 1) I compiled and installed PyGTK but 2) 'python' command do notÂ
>> recognize that installation when it imports 'gtk'. This situation
>> hasÂ
>> been like that since weeks ago. I imagined the solution could be
>> withÂ
>> something else to install, some argument to be passed to a configureÂ
>> script (that I could not find by myself), or something to be set in
>> theÂ
>> running environment (shouldn't it have been done when 'make install'
>> wasÂ
>> done?).
>>
>> This is an old machine running Ubuntu 10.04. But I have been usingÂ
>> currect source code with their dependencies satisfied. So it should
>> notÂ
>> matter much. Debian family aspects and steps are possibly welcome,
>> butÂ
>> only if they are building from source too, and not installing readyÂ
>> packages (packages that were built, somewhere, somehow!).
>>

> You can just "apt-get source", "dpkg-buildpackage" and "dkpg -i" gajim
> and each of its dependencies (including Build-depends) separately.
>
> But given that your python/gtk install is apparently messed up, you
> might need to clean up the mess first.
>
> People on #debian-python would probably be able to help you better than
> me (I can at most suggest to check/compare sys.path and the output of
> "print gtk")... but in their place, I guess I would just answer "if you
> install libraries from upstream sources, you should know what you are
> doing".

No, my python gtk is not messed up. Python is as it was installed, and
possibly with a few automatic updates done by the OS. The only mess that
needs to be undone is something related to what my actions with the
PyGTK source. It did *not* affect what is installed, I do not know why.
I need help here! There are things I have never done before, or did just
indirectly.

Note that all other programs (or similar) that I manipulated source code
did not have any problem. Configured, built, installed and tested,
everything was fine.

With PyGTK, the tests I am doing are not working. This is possibly a
consequence of something not being made as it should, or a few steps
that were not done. This is where I looking for help in this list.

'apt-get source' and 'dpkg-b..p' are not an option because the version
they get is not as new as I want. And the projects are open source! "You
should know what you are doing". That is a harsh way to put it, it
leaves empty someone trying to really use valuable things, instead of
just knowing that "it exists, but only someone else is able to use
those". We should be able to use the source codes as the official
projects make them available - or we should put a bug report about
exceptions, problems? I have a reasonable experience with sources, but I
do not know everything - not even close to that! Why is it being so hard
to get some help here?

I think I have showed enough of what I have done and the results of each
action. If something else is needed, just ask. If something did not work
as it should, please point it, as it should be a clue to where the
problem is. And the problem is not the fact I am using the projects'
source code. Right? Yes! I am trying the best possibilities I have.

Il giorno dom, 25/06/2017 alle 08.18 -0300, Dedeco Balaco ha scritto:

> Em 23-06-2017 13:18, Pietro Battiston escreveu:
> > Il giorno ven, 23/06/2017 alle 12.43 -0300, Dedeco Balaco ha
> > scritto:
> > > Em 23-06-2017 12:17, Pietro Battiston escreveu:
> > >
> > But given that your python/gtk install is apparently messed up, you
> > might need to clean up the mess first.
> >
> > People on #debian-python would probably be able to help you better
> > than
> > me (I can at most suggest to check/compare sys.path and the output
> > of
> > "print gtk")... but in their place, I guess I would just answer "if
> > you
> > install libraries from upstream sources, you should know what you
> > are
> > doing".
>

> No, my python gtk is not messed up. Python is as it was installed,
> and
> possibly with a few automatic updates done by the OS. The only mess
> that
> needs to be undone is something related to what my actions with the
> PyGTK source.

OK, sorry, I meant "python/gtk/pygtk".

> [...]
>
> 'apt-get source' and 'dpkg-b..p' are not an option because the
> version
> they get is not as new as I want. And the projects are open source!
> "You
> should know what you are doing". That is a harsh way to put it, it
> leaves empty someone trying to really use valuable things, instead
> of
> just knowing that "it exists, but only someone else is able to use
> those".

I didn't mean to be harsh, I was just stating a (probable) fact. Free
Software projects are usually ran by volunteers with little time to
code, even less to provide support, and even less to provide support to
users with specific (and often unclear) requirements of
versions/install modes. In general, if you try an unusual install you
are also the kind of person who is willing to independently spend time
and energy in understanding what's going on (and the fact that the code
is all there, readable, enables you to do this).

>  We should be able to use the source codes as the official
> projects make them available - or we should put a bug report about
> exceptions, problems? I have a reasonable experience with sources,
> but I
> do not know everything - not even close to that! Why is it being so
> hard
> to get some help here?

No idea, maybe developers just prefer to hang out on IRC, or maybe,
with the fact that today introspection (python-gi) makes gtk bindings
for Python a very thin compatibility layer over regular C libraries,
there are very few people working on it. And yes, probably this mailing
list should be closed.

But since you seem offended by the situation, maybe you want to spend
10 seconds reversing your question: "Why should it be easy to find
skilled and very busy people who are willing to spend time for free on
specific issues that only you are having, and only because you decided
to follow non-standard paths?"

> I think I have showed enough of what I have done and the results of
> each
> action. If something else is needed, just ask. If something did not
> work
> as it should, please point it, as it should be a clue to where the
> problem is. And the problem is not the fact I am using the projects'
> source code. Right? Yes! I am trying the best possibilities I have.

If you are referring to me explicitly, the answer is pretty simple: I
have no idea of what your problem is, I'm far too busy to reproduce
what you are trying to do, I already gave you the few suggestions I
had, I do know that python+gtk is a complicated beast, I am amazed by
how flawlessly it (typically) works under Debian, but I am aware that
Debian maintainers apply patches to softwares that sometimes make them
play not very nicely with non-Debian-provided code; the only thing I
can add (which may help you or not) is that you might want to try
jhbuild, used by many GNOME developers to build the GNOME stack from
source.

Cheers,

Pietro

Re: Problems compiling and installing PyGTK 2.24.0

Dedeco Balaco
Thank you for your words and comments, Pietro. They surely add something
to me.