Profiling object size, and Bruce Perens on licensing

Profiling object size, and Bruce Perens on licensing

Javier Candeira
Some followups from the April session:

- Tennessee commented he was looking for a tool to profile memory
usage. This isn't quite it, but it's a nice recipe for computing the
recursive memory footprint of an object and its contents:
http://code.activestate.com/recipes/577504-compute-memory-footprint-of-an-object-and-its-cont/?in=user-178123

- There was a discussion about licenses, and I remembered a guide to
simple licensing by Bruce Perens. Here it is:
http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/12068_3803101_2/Bruce-Perens-How-Many-Open-Source-Licenses-Do-You-Need.htm

Cheers,

Javier

Re: Profiling object size, and Bruce Perens on licensing

Javier Candeira
Another one for Tenneesee:

I just found a Pycon 2011 talk about python memory footprint:

PyCon 2011: "Dude, Where's My RAM?" - A deep dive into how Python uses memory
Dave Malcolm
This talk will give a deep dive into how CPython uses memory. I'll be
demonstrating a new tool I've written that analyses CPython's memory
usage, and offer hints and tips on how you can reduce the memory
footprint of your Python programs.
Donload: Pycon-PyCon2011DudeWheresMyRAMADeepDiveIntoHowPythonUses733.mp4 280mb
Stream: http://pycon.blip.tv/file/4878749

The slides and the gdb-heap tool can be found at Dave Malcolm's blog:
http://dmalcolm.livejournal.com/5782.htm