Proposal: Additional PyPI Mirror DNS aliases

Proposal: Additional PyPI Mirror DNS aliases

Donald Stufft
Currently there is one DNS name called last.pypi.python.org where the last mirror in alphabetical order is returned.

I think that it would be very useful to provide an additional 2 DNS names.

random.pypi.python.org - This would just be a round robin to all of the mirrors, the goal being to (theoretically) evenly distributing the incoming requests among them.

fresh.pypi.python.org - This would point towards the mirror that last synchronized with PyPI. The goal being that people can use this to have a higher chance of having all of the packages synced with PyPI (since the other mirrors have had a longer time since sync, they will have a larger window for having missed packages/versions).

Re: Proposal: Additional PyPI Mirror DNS aliases

"Martin v. Löwis"
> random.pypi.python.org - This would just be a round robin to all of the
> mirrors, the goal being to (theoretically) evenly distributing the
> incoming requests among them.

It's less useful as it sounds. Clients are supposed to check whether the
mirror they use is out of date. If they get a random mirror, they may
end up with an unusable one.

> fresh.pypi.python.org - This would point towards the mirror that last
> synchronized with PyPI. The goal being that people can use this to have
> a higher chance of having all of the packages synced with PyPI (since
> the other mirrors have had a longer time since sync, they will have a
> larger window for having missed packages/versions).

That's not implementable using our current DNS hosting service (I'm
not sure that round-robin is implementable even).

Regards,
Martin