Proposal: provide postgresql powered full-text search in djangoproject.com

Proposal: provide postgresql powered full-text search in djangoproject.com

Paolo Melchiorre
Hello,

in the djangoproject.com the search is powered by elasticsearch.

Since the site uses postgresql as database backend I want propose to use the Full-Text Search function provided by django.contrib.postgres.search module.

I presented a talk "Full-Text Search in Django with PostgreSQL" at the last PyConIT 2017 Conference in Florence
https://twitter.com/pauloxnet/status/850766131338117120
and I proposed a similar talk for the next EuroPython 2017
https://ep2017.europython.eu/conference/voting/#ord128

If you're interested in this proposal it will be nice to organize a related sprints at the next EuroPython 2017
https://ep2017.europython.eu/en/events/sprints

--
Paolo

Re: Proposal: provide postgresql powered full-text search in djangoproject.com

Florian Apolloner
What would be the benefit of using django.contrib.postgresql aside from much work?

On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 12:50:02 AM UTC+2, Paolo Melchiorre wrote:
Hello,

in the <a href="http://djangoproject.com/" style="color:rgb(17,85,204)" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fdjangoproject.com%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNH_s_EuDje0xSSDrsNinRAaH2dL5A&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fdjangoproject.com%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNH_s_EuDje0xSSDrsNinRAaH2dL5A&#39;;return true;">djangoproject.com the search is powered by elasticsearch.

On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 9:16 AM, Florian Apolloner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 12:50:02 AM UTC+2, Paolo Melchiorre wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> in the djangoproject.com the search is powered by elasticsearch.
>>
>> Since the site uses postgresql as database backend I want propose to use
>> the Full-Text Search function provided by django.contrib.postgres.search
>> module.
>>
>> I presented a talk "Full-Text Search in Django with PostgreSQL" at the
>> last PyConIT 2017 Conference in Florence
>> https://twitter.com/pauloxnet/status/850766131338117120
>> and I proposed a similar talk for the next EuroPython 2017
>> https://ep2017.europython.eu/conference/voting/#ord128
>>
>> If you're interested in this proposal it will be nice to organize a
>> related sprints at the next EuroPython 2017
>> https://ep2017.europython.eu/en/events/sprints
>
> What would be the benefit of using django.contrib.postgresql aside from much
> work?

The benefit would be to have a djangoproject.com made with
technologies the site talks about and to demonstrate what you can
build using only officially documented Django module.

For the work to do this I can candidate myself to work on it!

--
Paolo

Re: Proposal: provide postgresql powered full-text search in djangoproject.com

Curtis Maloney-2
Dogfooding is a fairly strong argument, IMHO.

Especially when there's a volunteer to do the work.

On 7 May 2017 6:53:13 PM AEST, Paolo Melchiorre <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Adam Johnson-2
I guess we'd also have the benefit of not having to keep elasticsearch running.

But I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Postgres. Is the FTS in Postgres mostly equivalent to ES, or will some kinds of search queries be affected?

On 7 May 2017 at 09:53, Paolo Melchiorre <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 9:16 AM, Florian Apolloner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 12:50:02 AM UTC+2, Paolo Melchiorre wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> in the djangoproject.com the search is powered by elasticsearch.
>>
>> Since the site uses postgresql as database backend I want propose to use
>> the Full-Text Search function provided by django.contrib.postgres.search
>> module.
>>
>> I presented a talk "Full-Text Search in Django with PostgreSQL" at the
>> last PyConIT 2017 Conference in Florence
>> https://twitter.com/pauloxnet/status/850766131338117120
>> and I proposed a similar talk for the next EuroPython 2017
>> https://ep2017.europython.eu/conference/voting/#ord128
>>
>> If you're interested in this proposal it will be nice to organize a
>> related sprints at the next EuroPython 2017
>> https://ep2017.europython.eu/en/events/sprints
>
> What would be the benefit of using django.contrib.postgresql aside from much
> work?

The benefit would be to have a djangoproject.com made with
technologies the site talks about and to demonstrate what you can
build using only officially documented Django module.

For the work to do this I can candidate myself to work on it!

--
Paolo

Adam

On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 12:45:27 PM UTC+2, Adam Johnson wrote:
I guess we'd also have the benefit of not having to keep elasticsearch running.

On the contrary, putting it into postgres means we have to care about it. Putting it into Elasticsearch means we can let our hoster take care about that.

But I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Postgres. Is the FTS in Postgres mostly equivalent to ES, or will some kinds of search queries be affected?

For the queries we use I think we can get pretty much equivalent results.

Re: Proposal: provide postgresql powered full-text search in djangoproject.com

Adam Johnson-2
 I'm pretty sure our search requirements on dp.com need that,

s/need/don't need/ ? 😉

On 8 May 2017 at 13:59, Marc Tamlyn <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Tobias McNulty
I'm no FTS expert, but based just on the facts raised in this thread, if using Postgres FTS
  1. would not break existing nor potential search needs (in fact it might expand the functionality available) and
  2. would allow eliminating an entire service from the infrastructure
that seems like a net win to me and as such at least worth exploring further. That is not to say I think we should commit to switching, but if we have volunteers who are excited to flesh out this proposal with some code and understand there's no guarantee it will actually get merged, I don't (yet) see a reason to say no.

Tobias

Tobias McNulty
Chief Executive Officer

[hidden email]
www.caktusgroup.com

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 10:07 AM, Marc Tamlyn <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Tim Graham-2
I agree that eliminating elasticsearch could be a simplification win from a maintenance perspective. For example, I spent some hours a few months ago debugging a problem with a new version of elasticsearch that caused our cluster to run out of memory and lock up every ~24 hours. Also, not having to set up elasticsearch to contribute to the docs.djangoproject.com search is nice. On the other hand, I wonder how moving the search load to PostgreSQL will effect server load, disk usage, etc.

On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 11:14:58 AM UTC-4, Tobias McNulty wrote:
I'm no FTS expert, but based just on the facts raised in this thread, if using Postgres FTS
  1. would not break existing nor potential search needs (in fact it might expand the functionality available) and
  2. would allow eliminating an entire service from the infrastructure
that seems like a net win to me and as such at least worth exploring further. That is not to say I think we should commit to switching, but if we have volunteers who are excited to flesh out this proposal with some code and understand there's no guarantee it will actually get merged, I don't (yet) see a reason to say no.

Tobias

Tobias McNulty
Chief Executive Officer

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 10:07 AM, Marc Tamlyn <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="mMpmi603AwAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">marc....@...> wrote:
Yes, don't need that sorry.

On 8 May 2017 at 14:40, Adam Johnson <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="mMpmi603AwAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">m...@...> wrote:
 I'm pretty sure our search requirements on <a href="http://dp.com/" style="font-size:12.8px" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fdp.com%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHqvIZLy0asVndxndho9is9Xkdijg&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fdp.com%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHqvIZLy0asVndxndho9is9Xkdijg&#39;;return true;">dp.com need that,

s/need/don't need/ ? 😉

On 8 May 2017 at 13:59, Marc Tamlyn <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="mMpmi603AwAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">marc....@...> wrote:
I'm not sure I see the benefit here. The strength and purpose of postgres FTS is that you can combine some FTS behaviour with some relational queries easily at the same time. I'm pretty sure our search requirements on <a href="http://dp.com" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fdp.com\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEJ_qnZtn0_ZNDaJP-znB7Ql72RjA&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fdp.com\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEJ_qnZtn0_ZNDaJP-znB7Ql72RjA&#39;;return true;">dp.com need that, so using a dedicated search provider is a better option.

On 7 May 2017 at 13:22, Florian Apolloner <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="mMpmi603AwAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">f.apo...@...> wrote:
On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 12:45:27 PM UTC+2, Adam Johnson wrote:
I guess we'd also have the benefit of not having to keep elasticsearch running.

On the contrary, putting it into postgres means we have to care about it. Putting it into Elasticsearch means we can let our hoster take care about that.

But I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Postgres. Is the FTS in Postgres mostly equivalent to ES, or will some kinds of search queries be affected?

For the queries we use I think we can get pretty much equivalent results.

Adam

Re: Proposal: provide postgresql powered full-text search in djangoproject.com

Aymeric Augustin
On 7 May 2017, at 11:32, Curtis Maloney <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dogfooding is a fairly strong argument, IMHO.

Especially when there's a volunteer to do the work.

I agree.

I was mildly concerned about the effect on relevance, but the current search isn't all that good.

A quick test shows that it doesn't handle normalization:

or stemming:

or stopwords:

These features are desirable and easy to configure with ES, but that wasn't done, perhaps for lack of familiarity with ES.

Apparently they're also doable with Postgres FTS. If we can remove ES from the stack and improve relavance, that would be great.

--
Aymeric.

Re: Proposal: provide postgresql powered full-text search in djangoproject.com

Paolo Melchiorre
Hi all,

I'm going to start a personal branch with a PostgreSQL full-text search functionality for the djangoproject.com website.

I would to sprint on it during the next EuroPython 2017 in Rimini and I've added the Sprint proposal in the wiki:
https://wiki.python.org/moin/EuroPython2017/Sprints

I'll be there on Saturday 15/07/0217 and if someone would to join me I would be happy.

--
Paolo

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 6:28 PM, Tim Graham <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jannis Leidel-2

> On 12. May 2017, at 11:42, Aymeric Augustin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 7 May 2017, at 11:32, Curtis Maloney <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Dogfooding is a fairly strong argument, IMHO.
>>
>> Especially when there's a volunteer to do the work.
>>
>> --
>
> I agree.
>
> I was mildly concerned about the effect on relevance, but the current search isn't all that good.
>
> A quick test shows that it doesn't handle normalization:
> https://docs.djangoproject.com/fr/1.11/search/?q=mod%C3%A8le
> https://docs.djangoproject.com/fr/1.11/search/?q=modele
>
> or stemming:
> https://docs.djangoproject.com/fr/1.11/search/?q=documentation
> https://docs.djangoproject.com/fr/1.11/search/?q=documentations
>
> or stopwords:
> https://docs.djangoproject.com/fr/1.11/search/?q=de
>
> These features are desirable and easy to configure with ES, but that wasn't done, perhaps for lack of familiarity with ES.

It was not out of lack of familiarity with ES but lack of time when we worked on the redesign and first fundraiser round, two years ago. Gratis. In our spare time (https://github.com/django/djangoproject.com/pull/303 et al).

You of all people should know that comments like that are hurtful as they imply we just didn’t care enough to learn ES. But in fact both Tim and Honza (an elastic employee) reviewed the code and made lots of suggestions.

Since Paolo volunteered to work on an improved version, what does that say about the expectations you’ve set for him now?

Jannis

On 11 Jul 2017, at 12:49, Jannis Leidel <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 12. May 2017, at 11:42, Aymeric Augustin <[hidden email]> wrote:

These features are desirable and easy to configure with ES, but that wasn't done, perhaps for lack of familiarity with ES.

It was not out of lack of familiarity with ES but lack of time when we worked on the redesign and first fundraiser round, two years ago. Gratis. In our spare time (https://github.com/django/djangoproject.com/pull/303 et al).

You of all people should know that comments like that are hurtful as they imply we just didn’t care enough to learn ES. But in fact both Tim and Honza (an elastic employee) reviewed the code and made lots of suggestions.

Yes, I should know better. Please accept my apologies.

In my own experience with ES, the learning curve is rough. It can take hour or days to figure out how to optimize a single line of configuration. That's what I had in mind when I said "familiarity". To be honest, the bigger problem in that sentence is "easy to configure"... Anyway: I'm sorry.

Best regards,

--
Aymeric.