Proposal to format Django using black

Re: Proposal to format Django using black

Aymeric Augustin
So this thread just passed the 100 message mark... I wish we could redirect some of that energy to things that actually matter to end users...

Anyway, I updated DEP 8 to account for all comments made so far. Thanks everyone who provided feedback!

--
Aymeric.

Re: Proposal to format Django using black

Jacob Rief
Well, this thread is a very good example of Parkinson's law of triviality.

––
Jacob

Re: Proposal to format Django using black

Andrew Godwin-3
Hi all,

As per the DEP process, I have merged DEP 8, Formatting Code With Black, into the DEP repo as a draft. This doesn't mean it's decided yet - any DEP that meets quality requirements gets merged as a draft - but it means that we're one step closer to doing so.

What follows is further discussion until it is either revised, withdrawn, or the author thinks they have enough feedback to put it to the technical board.

I will draw attention to the following part of DEP 1:

"However, wherever possible, long open-ended discussions on public mailing lists should be avoided. Strategies to keep the discussions efficient include: setting up a separate mailing list for the topic, having the DEP author accept private comments in the early design phases, setting up a wiki page, etc. DEP authors should use their discretion here"

Given this thread is now over 100 replies long, we might want to consider a better avenue for constructive feedback.

Andrew

On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 12:31 PM Christian González <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am 30.04.19 um 14:28 schrieb 'Laurens A. Bosscher' via Django developers
(Contributions to Django itself):
> The Chrome team fixed this issue with
> git-hyper-blame: https://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chrome-infra-docs/flat/depot_tools/docs/html/git-hyper-blame.html
>

> That could be a solution that would work for Django. IDE support for
> git-hyper-blame is lacking (at the moment) but might improve in the
> future.

I made a feature request for git itself, and they told me this is
already in the works *within* git dev:

https://public-inbox.org/git/20190410162409.117264-1-brho@.../

So on the long run, no need for git-hyper-blame.

Christian

--
Dr. Christian González
https://nerdocs.at

Re: Proposal to format Django using black

Markus Holtermann
The primary author of Black, Łukasz Langa, just announced that Black was moved under the PSF umbrella: https://twitter.com/llanga/status/1123980466292445190

I updated the link in the DEP-8 accordingly to https://github.com/python/black/

/Markus

On Wed, May 1, 2019, at 2:32 AM, Andrew Godwin wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As per the DEP process, I have merged DEP 8, Formatting Code With
> Black, into the DEP repo as a draft. This doesn't mean it's decided yet
> - any DEP that meets quality requirements gets merged as a draft - but
> it means that we're one step closer to doing so.
>
> What follows is further discussion until it is either revised,
> withdrawn, or the author thinks they have enough feedback to put it to
> the technical board.
>
> I will draw attention to the following part of DEP 1:
>
> "However, wherever possible, long open-ended discussions on public
> mailing lists should be avoided. Strategies to keep the discussions
> efficient include: setting up a separate mailing list for the topic,
> having the DEP author accept private comments in the early design
> phases, setting up a wiki page, etc. DEP authors should use their
> discretion here"
>
> Given this thread is now over 100 replies long, we might want to
> consider a better avenue for constructive feedback.
>
> Andrew
>
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 12:31 PM Christian González
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >  Am 30.04.19 um 14:28 schrieb 'Laurens A. Bosscher' via Django developers
> >  (Contributions to Django itself):
> >  > The Chrome team fixed this issue with
> >  > git-hyper-blame: https://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chrome-infra-docs/flat/depot_tools/docs/html/git-hyper-blame.html
> >  >
> >  >
> >  > That could be a solution that would work for Django. IDE support for
> >  > git-hyper-blame is lacking (at the moment) but might improve in the
> >  > future.
> >
> >  I made a feature request for git itself, and they told me this is
> >  already in the works *within* git dev:
> >
> > https://public-inbox.org/git/20190410162409.117264-1-brho@.../
> >
> >  So on the long run, no need for git-hyper-blame.
> >
> >  Christian
> >
> >  --
> >  Dr. Christian González
> > https://nerdocs.at
> >
> >  --
>
>  --
> [hidden email].
>  Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/django-developers.
>  To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAFwN1uq0AEP4wL0%3D1xQOF%2BWBVQfGgU5Zfz0V5BurVCbyMeOA3Q%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAFwN1uq0AEP4wL0%3D1xQOF%2BWBVQfGgU5Zfz0V5BurVCbyMeOA3Q%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

RE: Proposal to format Django using black

Matthew Pava
On Wed, May 1, 2019, at 2:32 AM, Andrew Godwin wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As per the DEP process, I have merged DEP 8, Formatting Code With
> Black, into the DEP repo as a draft. This doesn't mean it's decided yet
> - any DEP that meets quality requirements gets merged as a draft - but
> it means that we're one step closer to doing so.
>
> What follows is further discussion until it is either revised,
> withdrawn, or the author thinks they have enough feedback to put it to
> the technical board.
>
> I will draw attention to the following part of DEP 1:
>
> "However, wherever possible, long open-ended discussions on public
> mailing lists should be avoided. Strategies to keep the discussions
> efficient include: setting up a separate mailing list for the topic,
> having the DEP author accept private comments in the early design
> phases, setting up a wiki page, etc. DEP authors should use their
> discretion here"
>
> Given this thread is now over 100 replies long, we might want to
> consider a better avenue for constructive feedback.
>
> Andrew
>
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 12:31 PM Christian González
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >  Am 30.04.19 um 14:28 schrieb 'Laurens A. Bosscher' via Django developers
> >  (Contributions to Django itself):
> >  > The Chrome team fixed this issue with
> >  > git-hyper-blame: https://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chrome-infra-docs/flat/depot_tools/docs/html/git-hyper-blame.html
> >  >
> >  >
> >  > That could be a solution that would work for Django. IDE support for
> >  > git-hyper-blame is lacking (at the moment) but might improve in the
> >  > future.
> >
> >  I made a feature request for git itself, and they told me this is
> >  already in the works *within* git dev:
> >
> > https://public-inbox.org/git/20190410162409.117264-1-brho@.../
> >
> >  So on the long run, no need for git-hyper-blame.
> >
> >  Christian
> >
> >  --
> >  Dr. Christian González
> > https://nerdocs.at
> >
> >  --
>
>  --
> [hidden email].
>  Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/django-developers.
>  To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAFwN1uq0AEP4wL0%3D1xQOF%2BWBVQfGgU5Zfz0V5BurVCbyMeOA3Q%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAFwN1uq0AEP4wL0%3D1xQOF%2BWBVQfGgU5Zfz0V5BurVCbyMeOA3Q%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Re: Proposal to format Django using black

Florian Apolloner

On Thursday, May 2, 2019 at 6:15:50 PM UTC+2, matthew.pava wrote:
Just a thought: If Django were to adopt black (and I'm not saying it should), shouldn't it wait until it is out of the beta classification?

Please read the dep: https://github.com/django/deps/blob/master/draft/0008-black.rst#other-concerns

Re: Proposal to format Django using black

google-groups+2014
Personally I first got involved contributing to Django couple of weeks back,
and from anecdotal experience I can testify to how 'formatting of code' creates
a huge barrier for entry. My PR at the time went multiple times back and forth
tweaking formatting.

Wouldn't it have worked if you had used `black` on your code?

I.e. it is not necessary to apply it to the whole codebase, but maybe only mention it in the codestyle guide then?  - leading to an incremental adoption, rather than applying it altogether.

I like black, but one of its bigger issues is not keeping already formatted/split lists (https://github.com/python/black/issues/796).

Cheers,
Daniel.