PyAMF 0.6 released

Nick Joyce
Hey all,

PyAMF 0.6 final has been released. Only a couple of minor bugs fixed since 0.6b2. If you have been using the beta, it is recommended that you upgrade.

cPyAMF has been given another boost in this release, in some cases up to x2 faster than the beta.

Check it out/download at http://pypi.python.org/pypi/PyAMF/0.6

I have also included windows installers for those who would rather not have to deal with eggs etc.

If you find any bugs/regressions, please file a ticket on http://dev.pyamf.org/

For those interested in RTMP streaming, we also have a RTMPy 0.1 release (with full publish/subscribe), check it out at http://rtmpy.org

And now for some sleep ...

Nick

Re: PyAMF 0.6 released

Jesse Warden-2
rtmpy == holy shit if it's what I think it is.

I'm not really familiar with Twisted, but it sounds like you have a Flash Media Server version (or Red5 esque) with RTMPy... is that true?  Can I do remote shared objects?

On 27 Oct 2010, at 05:00, Jesse Warden wrote:

> rtmpy == holy shit if it's what I think it is.
>
> I'm not really familiar with Twisted, but it sounds like you have a Flash Media Server version (or Red5 esque) with RTMPy... is that true?  Can I do remote shared objects?

RTMPy is aimed to be a library for developers to use to talk RTMP, just like PyAMF is a library to talk AMF. Twisted is an asynchronous networking framework in Python, which provides the power for RTMPy to do its thing. I'm trying to develop the APIs in such a way that it can be Twisted agnostic (or indeed any other networking/socket library you care to name).

For the 0.1 release I concentrated on media streaming which means you can publish a Flash stream and rebroadcast it to as many subscribers as you choose. For an unmodified 1500kbps a/v stream, I've gone to 30+ with the hardware I have available here, only due the the CPU requirements of the Flash client. IIRC, the cpu usage for RTMPy remained around 10% during this test.

Shared object support is not in the release, but will be added asap. I am also about to add H.264 subscriber support shortly (you can stream to RTMPy, just not from quite yet).

Its a bit rough around the edges, but works as advertised (famous last words ..). I am getting docs/tutorials updated as soon as I find a few spare moments.

Getting something working is as simple as:

from twisted.internet import reactor
from rtmpy import server

app = server.Application()

reactor.listenTCP(1935, server.ServerFactory({
    'live': app
}))

reactor.run()

And you're able to stream/subscribe at your hearts content.

As with PyAMF, stability, compatibility and features are the first priorities, optimisation comes later (although not too much later ..). There's a long road to travel but hopefully, should be an interesting one.

Re: PyAMF 0.6 released

Jesse Warden-2
That's just sick! (or ..."wicked", just in case that's lost in translation).

On the client, that'd just be netStream.publish("live", "app"), right?

What are the pricing concerns with regards to Python/Twisted connections?  Almost every single socket server I've seen comes with a purchase/installation fee, and then charges per connection.  If I were install RTMPy (just got the name btw... yeah, 1st coffee), on let's say my shared hosting at Dreamhost, or perhaps find a way to get it to work on Mediatemple's grid hosting, would I be charged for these connections?  Is it bandwidth and CPU usage I'd then be getting charged for it?

Every time I get into Socket hosting, it always gets expensive and people recommend dedicated boxes when all I'm building is extremely simple stuff, so curious if I'm just interested using the RSO (Remote SharedObject) part with about 300 connections only sending a few k every 5 seconds what would the hosting entail.  I'd assume it'd be simliar to a typical Twisted hosting solution, only a tincy bit more CPU?  What does that generally cost?

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 5:38 AM, Nick Joyce <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 27 Oct 2010, at 05:00, Jesse Warden wrote:

> rtmpy == holy shit if it's what I think it is.
>
> I'm not really familiar with Twisted, but it sounds like you have a Flash Media Server version (or Red5 esque) with RTMPy... is that true?  Can I do remote shared objects?

RTMPy is aimed to be a library for developers to use to talk RTMP, just like PyAMF is a library to talk AMF. Twisted is an asynchronous networking framework in Python, which provides the power for RTMPy to do its thing. I'm trying to develop the APIs in such a way that it can be Twisted agnostic (or indeed any other networking/socket library you care to name).

For the 0.1 release I concentrated on media streaming which means you can publish a Flash stream and rebroadcast it to as many subscribers as you choose. For an unmodified 1500kbps a/v stream, I've gone to 30+ with the hardware I have available here, only due the the CPU requirements of the Flash client. IIRC, the cpu usage for RTMPy remained around 10% during this test.

Shared object support is not in the release, but will be added asap. I am also about to add H.264 subscriber support shortly (you can stream to RTMPy, just not from quite yet).

Its a bit rough around the edges, but works as advertised (famous last words ..). I am getting docs/tutorials updated as soon as I find a few spare moments.

Getting something working is as simple as:

from twisted.internet import reactor
from rtmpy import server

app = server.Application()

reactor.listenTCP(1935, server.ServerFactory({
   'live': app
}))

reactor.run()

And you're able to stream/subscribe at your hearts content.

As with PyAMF, stability, compatibility and features are the first priorities, optimisation comes later (although not too much later ..). There's a long road to travel but hopefully, should be an interesting one.

Re: PyAMF 0.6 released

vedran-5
This are great news!
and RTMPy!!!
great!!!

:)
:)
:)

vedran kolac
gTalk - [hidden email]
skype - vedrankolac
+385 (0) 91 567 07 17
http://www.onoxo.net
http://www.projectmoe.net

On 28 Oct 2010, at 02:13, Jesse Warden wrote:

> That's just sick! (or ..."wicked", just in case that's lost in translation).
>
> On the client, that'd just be netStream.publish("live", "app"), right?

nc = NetConnection.connect('rtmp://foo.bar.server/live/')

ns = NetStream(nc)

ns.publish('name_of_stream')

> What are the pricing concerns with regards to Python/Twisted connections?  Almost every single socket server I've seen comes with a purchase/installation fee, and then charges per connection.  If I were install RTMPy (just got the name btw... yeah, 1st coffee), on let's say my shared hosting at Dreamhost, or perhaps find a way to get it to work on Mediatemple's grid hosting, would I be charged for these connections?  Is it bandwidth and CPU usage I'd then be getting charged for it?

Not sure with Dreamhost/Mediatemple (never used them) but would would need a hosting solution that allows long running processes. Presumably this is why people keep recommending dedicated hosting ..

I have just purchased a virtual server that allows me full control for very little money .. which means I can video stream etc. with impunity. I am not charged per connection or hardware resource usage costs. The VM is also sat on a 100MB pipe, no bandwidth charges. You should look around for more flexible hosting solutions - they are out there!

> Every time I get into Socket hosting, it always gets expensive and people recommend dedicated boxes when all I'm building is extremely simple stuff, so curious if I'm just interested using the RSO (Remote SharedObject) part with about 300 connections only sending a few k every 5 seconds what would the hosting entail.  I'd assume it'd be simliar to a typical Twisted hosting solution, only a tincy bit more CPU?  What does that generally cost?

The virtual machine that I described above costs me £19 a month (around US$30) and is perfect for my needs. For your requirements, something similar would do nicely.

Heck, for that little usage, you can piggy back on my servers! ;)