PyAMF service deployment

Chris Rose-8
I'm evaluating PyAMF to replace our current PHP (ugh) AMF services
framework, and I'm unable to find the one crucial piece of information
that would allow me to provide a compelling use case for changing over:

Right now, new PHP AMF services are deployed simply by putting the .php
files in the filesystem; the next time they're accessed, the new service
is in play. Removal of a service is as simple as deleting the .php file
that provided it, and updating it is correspondingly simple. I need that
same ease-of-deployment from PyAMF. If we have to rewrite our installers
to deploy these services, it'll be a nonstarter.

So, what I need to know is, can PyAMF support new service discovery by
way of the filesystem, can it support service upgrading and removal by
way of same, and if so, what is the best way to set it up to do this?

I'm open to any of the various server options; I can easily have
cherrypy, django, whatever installed and running on its own, and even --
with a bit more sturm ünd drang -- have mod_python or mod_wsgi made
available.

Re: PyAMF service deployment

Nick Joyce
On 21 Apr 2010, at 15:32, Chris Rose wrote:

> I'm evaluating PyAMF to replace our current PHP (ugh) AMF services framework, and I'm unable to find the one crucial piece of information that would allow me to provide a compelling use case for changing over:
>
> Right now, new PHP AMF services are deployed simply by putting the .php files in the filesystem; the next time they're accessed, the new service is in play. Removal of a service is as simple as deleting the .php file that provided it, and updating it is correspondingly simple. I need that same ease-of-deployment from PyAMF. If we have to rewrite our installers to deploy these services, it'll be a nonstarter.
>
> So, what I need to know is, can PyAMF support new service discovery by way of the filesystem, can it support service upgrading and removal by way of same, and if so, what is the best way to set it up to do this?

PyAMF does not support this directly, but it would be an interesting to get this working as a possible deployment alternative.

I am currently working on a small example that supports autoreloading of service modules .. I'll check back in a bit. :)

> I'm open to any of the various server options; I can easily have cherrypy, django, whatever installed and running on its own, and even -- with a bit more sturm ünd drang -- have mod_python or mod_wsgi made available.

Re: PyAMF service deployment

Nick Joyce
On 21 Apr 2010, at 15:32, Chris Rose wrote:

> I'm evaluating PyAMF to replace our current PHP (ugh) AMF services framework, and I'm unable to find the one crucial piece of information that would allow me to provide a compelling use case for changing over:
>
> Right now, new PHP AMF services are deployed simply by putting the .php files in the filesystem; the next time they're accessed, the new service is in play. Removal of a service is as simple as deleting the .php file that provided it, and updating it is correspondingly simple. I need that same ease-of-deployment from PyAMF. If we have to rewrite our installers to deploy these services, it'll be a nonstarter.
>
> So, what I need to know is, can PyAMF support new service discovery by way of the filesystem, can it support service upgrading and removal by way of same, and if so, what is the best way to set it up to do this?
>
> I'm open to any of the various server options; I can easily have cherrypy, django, whatever installed and running on its own, and even -- with a bit more sturm ünd drang -- have mod_python or mod_wsgi made available.

I have attached an example of a gateway that reloads the service modules on a per request basis (checking the file mtime first).

Run the gateway.py file and then use the client to access the server. Adding/reloading and deleting files are also supported but I have not put any consideration into thread safety. If the example works for you I can add that in ..

Perhaps I should answer this on SO and get some points? :D

Cheers,

Nick

reloading-gateway.zip (5K) Download Attachment

On 23 Apr 2010, at 00:26, Chris Rose wrote:

> Well, I'd vote it up. I'll be poking at these services possibly today, possibly tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

Did you get a chance to get a look at this?