PyCon Australia 2011: registrations now open

PyCon Australia 2011: registrations now open

Ryan Kelly
Hi Everyone,

I'm pleased to announce that registrations are now open for PyCon
Australia 2011.

PyCon Australia is Australia's only conference dedicated exclusively to
the Python programming language, and will be held at the Sydney Masonic
Center over the weekend of August 20 and 21.  See below for more
information and updates on:

    1. Registration is now open
    2. Classroom Track
    3. Call For Proposals deadline approaching
    4. Sponsors Announced

Please pass this message on to those you feel may be interested.

Registration Is Now Open
========================

We offer three levels of registration for PyCon Australia 2011.
Registration provides access to two full days of technical content
presented by Python enthusiasts from around the country, as well as the
new classroom track and a seat at the conference dinner.

We are currently offering a limited number of early-bird tickets, but
get in quick because they are selling fast!

  Corporate - $440
    If your company is paying for you to attend PyCon, please register
    at the corporate rate. You'll be helping to keep the conference
    affordable for all.

  Full (Early Bird) - $165
    This is the registration rate for regular attendees. We are offering
    a limited Early Bird rate for the first 50 registrations until the
    end of May.

  Student - $44
    For students able to present a valid student card we're offering
    this reduced rate, which does not include the conference dinner.

All prices include GST.  For more information or to register, please
visit the conference website.

Register here: http://pycon-au.org/reg

Classroom Track
===============

In addition to the standard technical talks, this year's conference
will feature a "Classroom Track" designed specifically for tutorial
style presentations.

If you need to get up to speed on some of the latest language features
and tools, this will be a great opportunity to learn fast in a
supportive environment.

Call For Proposals
==================

We've had some great initial responses to the Call For Proposals, but
there's still time left and plenty of program to fill.

Remember, the deadline for proposal submission is the 2nd of May.
That's just under two weeks away!

We are looking for proposals for talks on all aspects of Python
programming from novice to advanced levels; applications and frameworks,
or how you have been involved in introducing Python into your
organisation. We're especially interested in short presentations that
will teach conference-goers something new and useful. Can you show
attendees how to use a module? Explore a Python language feature?
Package an application?

We welcome first-time speakers; we are a community conference and we
are eager to hear about your experience. If you have friends or
colleagues who have something valuable to contribute, twist their arms
to tell us about it! Please also forward this Call for Proposals to
anyone that you feel may be interested.

The earlier you submit your proposal, the more time we will have to
review and give you feedback before the program is finalised.

Speakers receive free registration for the conference, including a seat
at the conference dinner.  Don't miss out, submit your proposal today!

    http://pycon-au.org/cfp

Sponsors Announced
==================

We are happy to announce our first set of sponsors.  Thank you to the
following companies for their continuing support of Python and for
helping to make PyCon Australia 2011 a reality:

   Gold:  Google                          <http://www.google.com.au/>
   Gold:  Microsoft                       <http://www.microsoft.com.au/>

   Silver:  Anchor                        <http://anchor.com.au/>
   Silver:  Enthought                     <http://www.enthought.com/>
   Silver:  Python Software Foundation    <http://www.python.org/psf/>

Thanks also to Linux Australia, who provide the overarching legal and
organisational structure for PyCon Australia.

   Ryan Kelly
   PyCon Australia 2011

Re: PyCon Australia 2011: registrations now open

Javier Candeira
Thanks, Ryan.

The program is not up yet, so I don't know what the time table will
be, or how to schedule a trip, since I have never attended Pycon. Do
people take a flight back after the conference dinner (I mean, is
there time to do both?), or stay over one more night?

Cheers,
Javier

On Thu, 2011-04-21 at 16:26 +1000, Javier Candeira wrote:

> The program is not up yet, so I don't know what the time table will
> be, or how to schedule a trip, since I have never attended Pycon. Do
> people take a flight back after the conference dinner (I mean, is
> there time to do both?), or stay over one more night?

The conference is over a Saturday and Sunday, with dinner on the
Saturday night.  Most people fly in Friday evening and leave Monday if
they can get the time.  It's also possible to fly in Saturday morning
and out Sunday night but it gets pretty rushed.

We'll hopefully be having some sort of programming competition on the
Friday night as well, but no details confirmed at this stage.

Hope to see you there!

  Ryan

> [...]
> > at the conference dinner.  Don't miss out, submit your proposal today!
> >
> >    http://pycon-au.org/cfp
> >

> > Sponsors Announced
> > ==================
> >
> > We are happy to announce our first set of sponsors.  Thank you to the
> > following companies for their continuing support of Python and for
> > helping to make PyCon Australia 2011 a reality:
> >

> >   Gold:  Google                          <http://www.google.com.au/>
> >   Gold:  Microsoft                       <http://www.microsoft.com.au/>
> >
> >   Silver:  Anchor                        <http://anchor.com.au/>
> >   Silver:  Enthought                     <http://www.enthought.com/>
> >   Silver:  Python Software Foundation    <http://www.python.org/psf/>
> >

> > Thanks also to Linux Australia, who provide the overarching legal and
> > organisational structure for PyCon Australia.

Ryan Kelly
http://www.rfk.id.au  |  This message is digitally signed. Please visit
[hidden email]        |  http://www.rfk.id.au/ramblings/gpg/ for details

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 7:52 AM, Ryan Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The conference is over a Saturday and Sunday, with dinner on the
> Saturday night.  Most people fly in Friday evening and leave Monday if
> they can get the time.  It's also possible to fly in Saturday morning
> and out Sunday night but it gets pretty rushed.

Thanks. I'll start planning..

> Hope to see you there!

Crossing fingers!