PyCon By Video?

Rami Chowdhury
Hey everyone,

A couple of years ago my then-local Python user group had an afternoon-long mini-PyCon -- we watched a few of the talk videos, argued about them, and generally had a good time and learned a lot. It was great for those who couldn't make it all the way to the conference, but also pretty good for those who could -- since PyCon had so many great talks it was impossible to go to all of them. Now that the videos are popping up rapidly after PyCon, I was wondering if there might be an appetite for a similar meet-up in London?

Cheers,
Rami

----
Rami Chowdhury
"A mind all logic is like a knife all blade - it makes the hand bleed that uses it." -- Rabindranath Tagore
+44-7581-430-517

Re: PyCon By Video?

Jonathan Hartley
Definitely interested. I did attend, and have been catching up on videos
of talks I missed ever since, but that's still six days worth of video
to catch up on, so I'd way rather do some of it accompanied by
discussion with other like-minded geeks.

Should we guesstimate numbers then brainstorm venues?

     Jonathan

On 19/03/2012 12:13, Rami Chowdhury wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> A couple of years ago my then-local Python user group had an afternoon-long mini-PyCon -- we watched a few of the talk videos, argued about them, and generally had a good time and learned a lot. It was great for those who couldn't make it all the way to the conference, but also pretty good for those who could -- since PyCon had so many great talks it was impossible to go to all of them. Now that the videos are popping up rapidly after PyCon, I was wondering if there might be an appetite for a similar meet-up in London?
>
> Cheers,
> Rami
>
> ----
> Rami Chowdhury
> "A mind all logic is like a knife all blade - it makes the hand bleed that uses it." -- Rabindranath Tagore
> +44-7581-430-517

Jonathan Hartley    [hidden email]    http://tartley.com
Made of meat.       +44 7737 062 225       twitter/skype: tartley

Re: PyCon By Video?

Tom Wright
I'd be keen!

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Jonathan Hartley <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Made of meat.       <a href="tel:%2B44%207737%20062%20225" value="+447737062225" target="_blank">+44 7737 062 225       twitter/skype: tartley

Re: PyCon By Video?

Rami Chowdhury

On Mar 19, 2012, at 12:31 PM, Tom Wright wrote:

I'd be keen!

Awesome :-)

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Jonathan Hartley <[hidden email]> wrote:
have been catching up on videos of talks I missed ever since, but that's still six days worth of video to catch up on, so I'd way rather do some of it accompanied by discussion with other like-minded geeks.

I'm really glad there's interest -- that's exactly what I had in mind.

Should we guesstimate numbers then brainstorm venues?

:-)

[...]

James Broadhead
> 19 March 2012 12:13, Rami Chowdhury <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> A couple of years ago my then-local Python user group had an afternoon-long mini-PyCon -- we watched a few of the talk videos, argued about them, and generally had a good time and learned a lot. It was great for those who couldn't make it all the way to the conference, but also pretty good for those who could -- since PyCon had so many great talks it was impossible to go to all of them. Now that the videos are popping up rapidly after PyCon, I was wondering if there might be an appetite for a similar meet-up in London?
>
> Cheers,
> Rami

+1!

I imagine that quite a lot of the london python users are in the same
situation, so the immediate questions are; where and when?

If it were an evening mid-week, we'd get less time, but might be able
to find an office to host it in.

Re: PyCon By Video?

Nicholas H.Tollervey

+1. How about contacting Skills Matters..? They have a large screen,
bandwidth, chairs and help (use of premises free IIRC) community
organised free events. Also, there is already a precedent... the
London Android guys all watch the GoogleIO videos together (sometime
live with popcorn) ;-)

N.

On 19/03/12 12:31, Tom Wright wrote:

> I'd be keen!
>
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Jonathan Hartley
>
> Definitely interested. I did attend, and have been catching up on
> videos of talks I missed ever since, but that's still six days
> worth of video to catch up on, so I'd way rather do some of it
> accompanied by discussion with other like-minded geeks.
>
> Should we guesstimate numbers then brainstorm venues?
>
> Jonathan
>

> On 19/03/2012 12:13, Rami Chowdhury wrote:
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> A couple of years ago my then-local Python user group had an
> afternoon-long mini-PyCon -- we watched a few of the talk videos,
> argued about them, and generally had a good time and learned a lot.
> It was great for those who couldn't make it all the way to the
> conference, but also pretty good for those who could -- since PyCon
> had so many great talks it was impossible to go to all of them. Now
> that the videos are popping up rapidly after PyCon, I was wondering
> if there might be an appetite for a similar meet-up in London?
>
> Cheers, Rami
>
> ---- Rami Chowdhury "A mind all logic is like a knife all blade -
> it makes the hand bleed that uses it." -- Rabindranath Tagore
> +44-7581-430-517 <tel:%2B44-7581-430-517>

> -- Jonathan Hartley    [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]> http://tartley.com Made of meat.
> +44 7737 062 225 <tel:%2B44%207737%20062%20225> twitter/skype:
> tartley

Re: PyCon By Video?

Ed Stafford-3
The Hub Kings Cross is another nice place to have things hosted at, though I think there may be costs associate with it. Might be worth looking into as well.

-Ed

On 19 March 2012 12:46, Nicholas H.Tollervey <[hidden email]> wrote:

+1. How about contacting Skills Matters..? They have a large screen,
bandwidth, chairs and help (use of premises free IIRC) community
organised free events. Also, there is already a precedent... the
London Android guys all watch the GoogleIO videos together (sometime
live with popcorn) ;-)

N.

On 19/03/12 12:31, Tom Wright wrote:
> I'd be keen!
>
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Jonathan Hartley
>
> Definitely interested. I did attend, and have been catching up on
> videos of talks I missed ever since, but that's still six days
> worth of video to catch up on, so I'd way rather do some of it
> accompanied by discussion with other like-minded geeks.
>
> Should we guesstimate numbers then brainstorm venues?
>
> Jonathan
>

> On 19/03/2012 12:13, Rami Chowdhury wrote:
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> A couple of years ago my then-local Python user group had an
> afternoon-long mini-PyCon -- we watched a few of the talk videos,
> argued about them, and generally had a good time and learned a lot.
> It was great for those who couldn't make it all the way to the
> conference, but also pretty good for those who could -- since PyCon
> had so many great talks it was impossible to go to all of them. Now
> that the videos are popping up rapidly after PyCon, I was wondering
> if there might be an appetite for a similar meet-up in London?
>
> Cheers, Rami
>
> ---- Rami Chowdhury "A mind all logic is like a knife all blade -
> it makes the hand bleed that uses it." -- Rabindranath Tagore

> tartley

Re: PyCon By Video?

Bruce Durling
You can do stuff in the cafe or workshop spaces at Hub Westminster for
free on Saturday's as a part of their Hub Twilight program.

What day were you thinking of?

cheers,
Bruce

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 12:53, Ed Stafford
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Hub Kings Cross is another nice place to have things hosted at, though I
> think there may be costs associate with it. Might be worth looking into as
> well.
>
> -Ed
>

> On 19 March 2012 12:46, Nicholas H.Tollervey <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> +1. How about contacting Skills Matters..? They have a large screen,
>> bandwidth, chairs and help (use of premises free IIRC) community
>> organised free events. Also, there is already a precedent... the
>> London Android guys all watch the GoogleIO videos together (sometime
>> live with popcorn) ;-)
>>
>> N.
>>
>> On 19/03/12 12:31, Tom Wright wrote:
>> > I'd be keen!
>> >
>> > On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Jonathan Hartley
>> > <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Definitely interested. I did attend, and have been catching up on
>> > videos of talks I missed ever since, but that's still six days
>> > worth of video to catch up on, so I'd way rather do some of it
>> > accompanied by discussion with other like-minded geeks.
>> >
>> > Should we guesstimate numbers then brainstorm venues?
>> >
>> > Jonathan
>> >

>> > On 19/03/2012 12:13, Rami Chowdhury wrote:
>> >
>> > Hey everyone,
>> >
>> > A couple of years ago my then-local Python user group had an
>> > afternoon-long mini-PyCon -- we watched a few of the talk videos,
>> > argued about them, and generally had a good time and learned a lot.
>> > It was great for those who couldn't make it all the way to the
>> > conference, but also pretty good for those who could -- since PyCon
>> > had so many great talks it was impossible to go to all of them. Now
>> > that the videos are popping up rapidly after PyCon, I was wondering
>> > if there might be an appetite for a similar meet-up in London?
>> >
>> > Cheers, Rami
>> >
>> > ---- Rami Chowdhury "A mind all logic is like a knife all blade -
>> > it makes the hand bleed that uses it." -- Rabindranath Tagore
>> > +44-7581-430-517 <tel:%2B44-7581-430-517>

>> > -- Jonathan Hartley    [hidden email]
>> > <mailto:[hidden email]> http://tartley.com Made of meat.
>> > +44 7737 062 225 <tel:%2B44%207737%20062%20225> twitter/skype:
>> > tartley

CTO & co-founder
@MastodonC
mastodonc.com

Re: PyCon By Video?

Rami Chowdhury

On Mar 19, 2012, at 1:01 PM, Bruce Durling wrote:

> You can do stuff in the cafe or workshop spaces at Hub Westminster for
> free on Saturday's as a part of their Hub Twilight program.
>
> What day were you thinking of?

Well I was thinking it might have to be a weekend afternoon -- a weekday evening wouldn't give us time for more than a couple of recorded talks IMHO. If a Saturday afternoon might work for people, seems like Skills Matter or Hub Westminster are both options?

----
Rami Chowdhury
"A mind all logic is like a knife all blade - it makes the hand bleed that uses it." -- Rabindranath Tagore
+44-7581-430-517

Re: PyCon By Video?

Bruce Durling
Rami,

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 13:19, Rami Chowdhury <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 19, 2012, at 1:01 PM, Bruce Durling wrote:
>
>> You can do stuff in the cafe or workshop spaces at Hub Westminster for
>> free on Saturday's as a part of their Hub Twilight program.
>>
>> What day were you thinking of?
>
> Well I was thinking it might have to be a weekend afternoon -- a weekday evening wouldn't give us time for more than a couple of recorded talks IMHO. If a Saturday afternoon might work for people, seems like Skills Matter or Hub Westminster are both options?

Skills Matter aren't open on weekends (not even for paid things
usually). So Hub Westminster might be the way to go. Let me know if
you want me to put you in touch with Alice Fung who runs it.

cheers,
Bruce

--
CTO & co-founder
@MastodonC

Re: PyCon By Video?

Rami Chowdhury

On Mar 19, 2012, at 1:37 PM, Bruce Durling wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 13:19, Rami Chowdhury <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 19, 2012, at 1:01 PM, Bruce Durling wrote:
>>> You can do stuff in the cafe or workshop spaces at Hub Westminster for
>>> free on Saturday's as a part of their Hub Twilight program.
>>>
>>> What day were you thinking of?
>>
>> Well I was thinking it might have to be a weekend afternoon -- a weekday evening wouldn't give us time for more than a couple of recorded talks IMHO. If a Saturday afternoon might work for people, seems like Skills Matter or Hub Westminster are both options?
>
> Skills Matter aren't open on weekends (not even for paid things
> usually). So Hub Westminster might be the way to go.

Oops, wasn't aware of that. So another question out, to test the water ... what do people favor, weekday evening or weekend afternoon?

----
Rami Chowdhury
"A mind all logic is like a knife all blade - it makes the hand bleed that uses it." -- Rabindranath Tagore
+44-7581-430-517

Re: PyCon By Video?

Nicholas H.Tollervey

Re: PyCon By Video?

Rami Chowdhury
Folks,

I've been in touch with a possible venue (Hub Westminster) and they can offer us the space Tuesday evenings or Saturdays. I've created a Doodle poll with the next few Tuesdays and Saturdays, please fill in when you might be able to make it: http://www.doodle.com/t8x83ab7n989pv64

Please do also suggest alternative times if those don't work for you!

Cheers,
Rami

On Mar 19, 2012, at 2:01 PM, Nicholas H.Tollervey wrote:

----
Rami Chowdhury
"A mind all logic is like a knife all blade - it makes the hand bleed that uses it." -- Rabindranath Tagore
+44-7581-430-517

Re: PyCon By Video?

Rami Chowdhury
Hey everyone,

Looking at the Doodle (http://www.doodle.com/t8x83ab7n989pv64) it seems that either next Tuesday (27th March) or in a couple of weeks (10th April) works best for everyone. While I don't want to lose the PyCon momentum by delaying unnecessarily, it's also the London Clojure dojo next Tuesday and I know there are a couple of Pythonistas (including myself) who are interested.

So I'm tentatively going to say let's do this Tuesday the 10th of April, in the evening -- I'll organize us the space with Hub Westminster, and try to set up a list of talk videos so we can decide what we want to watch and argue about that evening.

Cheers,
Rami

----
Rami Chowdhury
"A mind all logic is like a knife all blade - it makes the hand bleed that uses it." -- Rabindranath Tagore
+44-7581-430-517

Re: PyCon By Video?

Nicholas H.Tollervey

Awesomeness on stilts and +1 on the date.

N.

On 21/03/12 16:12, Rami Chowdhury wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> Looking at the Doodle (http://www.doodle.com/t8x83ab7n989pv64) it
> seems that either next Tuesday (27th March) or in a couple of weeks
> (10th April) works best for everyone. While I don't want to lose
> the PyCon momentum by delaying unnecessarily, it's also the London
> Clojure dojo next Tuesday and I know there are a couple of
> Pythonistas (including myself) who are interested.
>
> So I'm tentatively going to say let's do this Tuesday the 10th of
> April, in the evening -- I'll organize us the space with Hub
> Westminster, and try to set up a list of talk videos so we can
> decide what we want to watch and argue about that evening.
>
> Cheers, Rami
>
> On Mar 20, 2012, at 1:03 PM, Rami Chowdhury wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> I've been in touch with a possible venue (Hub Westminster) and
>> they can offer us the space Tuesday evenings or Saturdays. I've
>> created a Doodle poll with the next few Tuesdays and Saturdays,
>> please fill in when you might be able to make it:
>> http://www.doodle.com/t8x83ab7n989pv64
>>
>> Please do also suggest alternative times if those don't work for
>> you!
>>
>> Cheers, Rami

> I can't do weekends... family time is precious. Early starting
> evenings are good for me (Tues / Thurs are best).
>
> I think the suggestion of the session being long enough for
> discussion is *important*.
>
> N.
>>
>> ---- Rami Chowdhury "A mind all logic is like a knife all blade -
>> it makes the hand bleed that uses it." -- Rabindranath Tagore
>> +44-7581-430-517
>>

> ---- Rami Chowdhury "A mind all logic is like a knife all blade -
> it makes the hand bleed that uses it." -- Rabindranath Tagore
> +44-7581-430-517

Re: PyCon By Video?

Rami Chowdhury
On Mar 21, 2012, at 4:12 PM, Rami Chowdhury wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> Looking at the Doodle (http://www.doodle.com/t8x83ab7n989pv64) it seems that either next Tuesday (27th March) or in a couple of weeks (10th April) works best for everyone. While I don't want to lose the PyCon momentum by delaying unnecessarily, it's also the London Clojure dojo next Tuesday and I know there are a couple of Pythonistas (including myself) who are interested.
>
> So I'm tentatively going to say let's do this Tuesday the 10th of April, in the evening -- I'll organize us the space with Hub Westminster, and try to set up a list of talk videos so we can decide what we want to watch and argue about that evening.

Oops, should have explicitly said: this is by no means a foregone conclusion, please do say if this doesn't work for you or is less convenient or you'd like to suggest a different venue or anything.

Cheers,
Rami

P.S. Can you tell I'm new at this community-event-organizing? If I'm doing it wrong do say so!

----
Rami Chowdhury
"A mind all logic is like a knife all blade - it makes the hand bleed that uses it." -- Rabindranath Tagore
+44-7581-430-517

Re: PyCon By Video?

Nicholas H.Tollervey

Re: PyCon By Video?

Bruce Durling

If it is hosted at hub westminster then Alice will need to run it on event brite.