PyCon..

Chris Barker
Hi folks,

PyCon is in Santa Clara CA, USA in March this year.

At least Ned and I will be there -- do we have enough Mac folks to do
a MacPython sprint?

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Re: PyCon..

Ronald Oussoren

On 13 Feb, 2012, at 20:35, Chris Barker wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> PyCon is in Santa Clara CA, USA in March this year.
>
> At least Ned and I will be there -- do we have enough Mac folks to do
> a MacPython sprint?

I'll be there as well, but won't sprint this year.

Ronald

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

Re: PyCon..

Ned Deily
In article <[hidden email]>,
 Ronald Oussoren <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 13 Feb, 2012, at 20:35, Chris Barker wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > PyCon is in Santa Clara CA, USA in March this year.
> >
> > At least Ned and I will be there -- do we have enough Mac folks to do
> > a MacPython sprint?
>
> I'll be there as well, but won't sprint this year.

I'm planning to sprint through Thursday.   I've added a Mac OS X Support
project to the PyCon sprint page.  Feel free to add topics and add
yourself.  Hope to see you all there!

https://us.pycon.org/2012/community/sprints/projects/

--
 Ned Deily,

Re: PyCon..

Chris Barker
On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 7:23 AM, Ned Deily <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm planning to sprint through Thursday.   I've added a > Mac OS X Support
> project to the PyCon sprint page.  Feel free to add topics and add
> yourself.  Hope to see you all there!

I"ve seen neither you nor Ronald yet...

I'm here(there) Monday -- not suer what I'm sprinting on yet -- any
ideas what you'd like to do for MacPython?

I do note that there are a LOT of macs here -- but darn few MacPython
folks -- I suppose most of them use it like *nix, and don't need/want
anything mac-specific.

-Chris

On 10 Mar, 2012, at 15:05, Chris Barker wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 7:23 AM, Ned Deily <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I'm planning to sprint through Thursday.   I've added a > Mac OS X Support
>> project to the PyCon sprint page.  Feel free to add topics and add
>> yourself.  Hope to see you all there!
>
> I"ve seen neither you nor Ronald yet...

Both of us are here. I'm currently in the mailman 3 session.

> I'm here(there) Monday -- not suer what I'm sprinting on yet -- any
> ideas what you'd like to do for MacPython?

I won't sprint myself, but Ned has a list. From the top of my head:

* distutils/packaging needs some work to deal with recent Xcodes, and possibly OSX 10.8

* add support for liblzma to the build script for the osx installer
   (this in seems to be trivial, my limited testing of the xz package seems to indicate that it will build a universal binary without using lipo)

* possibly add openssl to the installer as Apple's copy is not up-to-date and contains bugs that users have run into

* default MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET should be the OS release of the build machine, that is less confusing for users

* <http://docs.python.org/py3k/using/mac.html> needs work

If you don't mind wading through distutils-related code: there are a number of open issues on the py2app bugtracker

> I do note that there are a LOT of macs here -- but darn few MacPython
> folks -- I suppose most of them use it like *nix, and don't need/want
> anything mac-specific.

There have always been a lot of macs at technical conferences, but this
year there are even more than usual.

Ronald

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

Re: PyCon..

Nicholas Riley-4
On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 04:56:26PM -0800, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> On 10 Mar, 2012, at 15:05, Chris Barker wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 7:23 AM, Ned Deily <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm planning to sprint through Thursday.   I've added a > Mac OS X Support
> >> project to the PyCon sprint page.  Feel free to add topics and add
> >> yourself.  Hope to see you all there!

I'm at PyCon (with a laptop/external drive that has 10.6, 10.7 and
10.8 installed, so I can do some testing across OSes) and should be
able to spend a day or two sprinting on MacPython.

--
Nicholas Riley <[hidden email]>

Re: PyCon..

Ned Deily
In article <[hidden email]>,
 Nicholas Riley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 04:56:26PM -0800, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
> I'm at PyCon (with a laptop/external drive that has 10.6, 10.7 and
> 10.8 installed, so I can do some testing across OSes) and should be
> able to spend a day or two sprinting on MacPython.

Great!

Thanks, Ronald, for the summary.   The highest-priority items I think
are to get Python 3.3 ready for release and to have more robust
solutions (for 3.2 and 2.7, as well at 3.3) for extension module
building with the multiple Xcode versions for 10.6+.   But there are
plenty of open issues to work on and, for 3.3, potential new features.
For anyone who is interested, it would be great if you could attend the
"Intro to Sprints" session at 4:30p following the Sunday afternoon
Lightning Talks to find out more about the logistics.  Otherwise,
contact me directly.  I believe the sprint space will be available in
the adjacent Hyatt from Monday through Thursday.

--
 Ned Deily,

Re: PyCon..

Ronald Oussoren

On 10 Mar, 2012, at 22:57, Ned Deily wrote:

> In article <[hidden email]>,
> Nicholas Riley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm at PyCon (with a laptop/external drive that has 10.6, 10.7 and
>> 10.8 installed, so I can do some testing across OSes) and should be
>> able to spend a day or two sprinting on MacPython.
>
> Great!
>
> Thanks, Ronald, for the summary.   The highest-priority items I think
> are to get Python 3.3 ready for release
One thing to look into w.r.t. is to look at the new functions in the os/posix module (and possibly other extension modules as well)

1) Do or could these work on OSX

2) How does the affect the installer, in particular w.r.t. symbols available on the build machine but not on earlier OSX releases. Posixmodule.c already contains some code to deal with this for a number of functions.

Issue 1404  <http://bugs.python.org/issue14104> is about adding a monotonic timer to the OSX port, with the same interface as is used for the linux port.

Ronald

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

Re: PyCon..

Chris Barker
A note about sprint topics:

One of the things we might want to work on is docs.

There is also a sprint on:

Python-Guide.org

The Mac-OS-X page essentially tels folks that they should install
homebrew, and then build eveything from there (plus Distribute and
virtualenv). I'm not convinced that that's the best option for all
users (though probably a good one for ex-*nix folks)

Anyway, we might want to work on that page some...

-Chris

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 8:48 AM, Ronald Oussoren <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10 Mar, 2012, at 22:57, Ned Deily wrote:
>
>> In article <[hidden email]>,
>> Nicholas Riley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I'm at PyCon (with a laptop/external drive that has 10.6, 10.7 and
>>> 10.8 installed, so I can do some testing across OSes) and should be
>>> able to spend a day or two sprinting on MacPython.
>>
>> Great!
>>
>> Thanks, Ronald, for the summary.   The highest-priority items I think
>> are to get Python 3.3 ready for release
>
> One thing to look into w.r.t. is to look at the new functions in the os/posix module (and possibly other extension modules as well)
>
> 1) Do or could these work on OSX
>
> 2) How does the affect the installer, in particular w.r.t. symbols available on the build machine but not on earlier OSX releases. Posixmodule.c already contains some code to deal with this for a number of functions.
>
> Issue 1404  <http://bugs.python.org/issue14104> is about adding a monotonic timer to the OSX port, with the same interface as is used for the linux port.
>
> Ronald

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Re: PyCon..

Ned Deily
In article
<CALGmxEJZpThLkKU67bk42d=[hidden email]>,
 Chris Barker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A note about sprint topics:
>
> One of the things we might want to work on is docs.
>
> There is also a sprint on:
>
> Python-Guide.org
>
> The Mac-OS-X page essentially tels folks that they should install
> homebrew, and then build eveything from there (plus Distribute and
> virtualenv). I'm not convinced that that's the best option for all
> users (though probably a good one for ex-*nix folks)
>
> Anyway, we might want to work on that page some...

Thanks for noticing that.  Perhaps you or someone else can sit down with
Kenneth or other sprinters on that project and pick their brains a bit.

--
 Ned Deily,