PyPI mirrors are all up to date

123

PyPI mirrors are all up to date

ken cochrane
It looks like it took a little while, but all of the PyPI mirrors are
now up to date. Thank you to everyone that helped get those back up to
date. If you want to check out the current status I created this
little website to make it easier to see where things stand mirror
wise. I'm going to be adding a few more things, but it is fully useful
right now. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

http://www.pypi-mirrors.org

If you run an unofficial PyPI mirror and want it added to the list,
just let me know.

Thanks,
Ken Cochrane
@KenCochrane

Re: PyPI mirrors are all up to date

ken cochrane
Yeah I need to clean that up and make it more standard but this is how it works now.

Age < 5 min = excellent
Age > 5 min and age < 15 min = awesome
Age > 15 min and age < 1 hour = great.
Age > 1 hour and age <  6 hour = good
Age > 6 hours and age < 12 hour = OK
Age > 12 hours and age < 1 day = getting stale
Age > 1 day = out of date

Feel free to make suggestions on how to improve.

Ken

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 15, 2012, at 10:35 AM, Yuval Greenfield <[hidden email]> wrote:

What's the ranking between Excellent, Great and Awesome?

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 4:07 PM, ken cochrane <[hidden email]> wrote:
It looks like it took a little while, but all of the PyPI mirrors are
now up to date. Thank you to everyone that helped get those back up to
date. If you want to check out the current status I created this
little website to make it easier to see where things stand mirror
wise. I'm going to be adding a few more things, but it is fully useful
right now. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

http://www.pypi-mirrors.org

If you run an unofficial PyPI mirror and want it added to the list,
just let me know.

Thanks,
Ken Cochrane
@KenCochrane

Re: PyPI mirrors are all up to date

Hanno Schlichting-4
On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Ken Cochrane <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yeah I need to clean that up and make it more standard but this is how it
> works now.
>
> Age < 5 min = excellent
> Age > 5 min and age < 15 min = awesome
> Age > 15 min and age < 1 hour = great.
> Age > 1 hour and age <  6 hour = good
> Age > 6 hours and age < 12 hour = OK
> Age > 12 hours and age < 1 day = getting stale
> Age > 1 day = out of date
>
> Feel free to make suggestions on how to improve.

My suggestion, keep it simple:

Age < 15 minutes - green (fresh)
Age < 1 day - yellow (oldish)
Age > 1 day - red (old)

Apache and CPAN mirrors are much more forgiving.

http://www.apache.org/mirrors/#age-histogram

< 30 hours - green
< 54 hours - yellow
> 54 hours - red

http://mirrors.cpan.org/#age-histogram

< 2 days green
< 4days - yellow
> 4 days - red

Hanno

Re: PyPI mirrors are all up to date

zopyxfilter
Hanno Schlichting wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Ken Cochrane <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Yeah I need to clean that up and make it more standard but this is how it
>> works now.
>>
>> Age < 5 min = excellent
>> Age > 5 min and age < 15 min = awesome
>> Age > 15 min and age < 1 hour = great.
>> Age > 1 hour and age <  6 hour = good
>> Age > 6 hours and age < 12 hour = OK
>> Age > 12 hours and age < 1 day = getting stale
>> Age > 1 day = out of date
>>
>> Feel free to make suggestions on how to improve.
>
> My suggestion, keep it simple:
>
> Age < 15 minutes - green (fresh)
> Age < 1 day - yellow (oldish)
> Age > 1 day - red (old)

+1

-aj

Re: PyPI mirrors are all up to date

ken cochrane
I have taken your advice and I have updated it so that it is a little
clearer. I changed the times a little but I stuck to the 3 statuses
that you proposed.

I also added a bunch of other features to the site, so feel free to
check it out and let me know if you can think of anything else.

http://www.pypi-mirrors.org

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 11:11 AM, Hanno Schlichting <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Ken Cochrane <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Yeah I need to clean that up and make it more standard but this is how it
>> works now.
>>
>> Age < 5 min = excellent
>> Age > 5 min and age < 15 min = awesome
>> Age > 15 min and age < 1 hour = great.
>> Age > 1 hour and age <  6 hour = good
>> Age > 6 hours and age < 12 hour = OK
>> Age > 12 hours and age < 1 day = getting stale
>> Age > 1 day = out of date
>>
>> Feel free to make suggestions on how to improve.
>
> My suggestion, keep it simple:
>
> Age < 15 minutes - green (fresh)
> Age < 1 day - yellow (oldish)
> Age > 1 day - red (old)
>
> Apache and CPAN mirrors are much more forgiving.
>
> http://www.apache.org/mirrors/#age-histogram
>
> < 30 hours - green
> < 54 hours - yellow
>> 54 hours - red
>
> http://mirrors.cpan.org/#age-histogram
>
> < 2 days green
> < 4days - yellow
>> 4 days - red
>
> Hanno

Re: PyPI mirrors are all up to date

Andreas Jung-5

This here is weird

c.pypi.python.org Russian Federation

That's my server it it is running in Germany :)

- -aj

ken cochrane wrote:

> I have taken your advice and I have updated it so that it is a
> little clearer. I changed the times a little but I stuck to the 3
> statuses that you proposed.
>
> I also added a bunch of other features to the site, so feel free to
> check it out and let me know if you can think of anything else.
>
> http://www.pypi-mirrors.org
>

> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 11:11 AM, Hanno Schlichting
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Ken Cochrane
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Yeah I need to clean that up and make it more standard but this
>>> is how it works now.
>>>
>>> Age < 5 min = excellent Age > 5 min and age < 15 min = awesome
>>> Age > 15 min and age < 1 hour = great. Age > 1 hour and age <  6
>>> hour = good Age > 6 hours and age < 12 hour = OK Age > 12 hours
>>> and age < 1 day = getting stale Age > 1 day = out of date
>>>
>>> Feel free to make suggestions on how to improve.
>> My suggestion, keep it simple:
>>
>> Age < 15 minutes - green (fresh) Age < 1 day - yellow (oldish) Age
>> > 1 day - red (old)
>>
>> Apache and CPAN mirrors are much more forgiving.
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/mirrors/#age-histogram
>>
>> < 30 hours - green < 54 hours - yellow
>>> 54 hours - red
>> http://mirrors.cpan.org/#age-histogram
>>
>> < 2 days green < 4days - yellow
>>> 4 days - red
>> Hanno
- --
ZOPYX Limited           | zopyx group
Charlottenstr. 37/1     | The full-service network for Zope & Plone
D-72070 Tübingen        | Produce & Publish
www.zopyx.com           | www.produce-and-publish.com

lists.vcf (325 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: PyPI mirrors are all up to date

Terry Reedy
On 4/15/2012 10:09 PM, ken cochrane wrote:
> I have taken your advice and I have updated it so that it is a little
> clearer. I changed the times a little but I stuck to the 3 statuses
> that you proposed.
>
> I also added a bunch of other features to the site, so feel free to
> check it out and let me know if you can think of anything else.
>
> http://www.pypi-mirrors.org

Looks pretty nice, except I suggest 'aging' rather than 'oldish', which
is not a real word.

--
Terry Jan Reedy

Re: PyPI mirrors are all up to date

Yuval Greenfield
Looks very nice. I especially like the graphs. If we're into the bike shedding stage then here are a few suggestions:
  • Make columns JS sortable
  • Ping is relative - that column should state "Response time from Florida" or something to that effect as I got very different results from those listed.
  • "Oldish" is ok though I think "Ok", "Medium", "Aging", "Freshish" or "So so" would be fine as well.

Yuval

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Terry Reedy <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 4/15/2012 10:09 PM, ken cochrane wrote:
I have taken your advice and I have updated it so that it is a little
clearer. I changed the times a little but I stuck to the 3 statuses
that you proposed.

I also added a bunch of other features to the site, so feel free to
check it out and let me know if you can think of anything else.

http://www.pypi-mirrors.org

Looks pretty nice, except I suggest 'aging' rather than 'oldish', which is not a real word.

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 11:11 AM, Hanno Schlichting<[hidden email]>  wrote:
On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Ken Cochrane<[hidden email]>  wrote:
Yeah I need to clean that up and make it more standard but this is how it
works now.

Age<  5 min = excellent
Age>  5 min and age<  15 min = awesome
Age>  15 min and age<  1 hour = great.
Age>  1 hour and age<    6 hour = good
Age>  6 hours and age<  12 hour = OK
Age>  12 hours and age<  1 day = getting stale
Age>  1 day = out of date

Feel free to make suggestions on how to improve.

My suggestion, keep it simple:

Age<  15 minutes - green (fresh)
Age<  1 day - yellow (oldish)
Age>  1 day - red (old)

Apache and CPAN mirrors are much more forgiving.

http://www.apache.org/mirrors/#age-histogram

<  30 hours - green
<  54 hours - yellow
54 hours - red

http://mirrors.cpan.org/#age-histogram

<  2 days green
<  4days - yellow
4 days - red

Hanno

--
Terry Jan Reedy

Re: PyPI mirrors are all up to date

Dylan Jay-5

Some DNS load balancing services have api's. For example
edgedirector.com, but there others (and perhaps cheaper).

Why not go to the next level and get the script on this page to update
a DNS load balancer with all green mirrors?
Then switching mirrors would be automatic.

---
Dylan Jay
Technical Solutions Manager
PretaWeb: Multisite Performance Support
P: +612 80819071 | M: +61421477460 | twitter.com/djay75 | linkedin.com/
in/djay75

On 15/04/2012, at 11:07 PM, ken cochrane wrote:

> It looks like it took a little while, but all of the PyPI mirrors are
> now up to date. Thank you to everyone that helped get those back up to
> date. If you want to check out the current status I created this
> little website to make it easier to see where things stand mirror
> wise. I'm going to be adding a few more things, but it is fully useful
> right now. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
>
> http://www.pypi-mirrors.org
>

> If you run an unofficial PyPI mirror and want it added to the list,
> just let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> Ken Cochrane
> @KenCochrane

Re: PyPI mirrors are all up to date

Tarek Ziadé-2
On 4/15/12 3:07 PM, ken cochrane wrote:

> It looks like it took a little while, but all of the PyPI mirrors are
> now up to date. Thank you to everyone that helped get those back up to
> date. If you want to check out the current status I created this
> little website to make it easier to see where things stand mirror
> wise. I'm going to be adding a few more things, but it is fully useful
> right now. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
>
> http://www.pypi-mirrors.org
>

> If you run an unofficial PyPI mirror and want it added to the list,
> just let me know.
extra !

a nice feature would be to send a mail automatically in this ML when a
mirror becomes "old"

Cheers & thanks for this work
Tarek

> Thanks,
> Ken Cochrane
> @KenCochrane

Re: PyPI mirrors are all up to date

Noah Kantrowitz-3

On Apr 16, 2012, at 12:10 AM, Dylan Jay wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Some DNS load balancing services have api's. For example edgedirector.com, but there others (and perhaps cheaper).
>
> Why not go to the next level and get the script on this page to update a DNS load balancer with all green mirrors?
> Then switching mirrors would be automatic.

This wouldn't be a good idea since getting redirected to two different mirrors during one install attempt would likely confuse most existing scripts if versions were slightly out of sync.

As for uptime scanning, I can add sensors for this to the PSF's existing Pingdom account and you could use their API in the same way as http://ispypiup.com/. That would give some basic site-indpendence since Pingdom has check servers all over the world (we currently require 6 sites to be in agreement before a downtime alert is issued). If this interests you, let me know :-)

--Noah

On 16/04/2012, at 5:42 PM, Noah Kantrowitz wrote:

> On Apr 16, 2012, at 12:10 AM, Dylan Jay wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Some DNS load balancing services have api's. For example
>> edgedirector.com, but there others (and perhaps cheaper).
>>
>> Why not go to the next level and get the script on this page to
>> update a DNS load balancer with all green mirrors?
>> Then switching mirrors would be automatic.
>
> This wouldn't be a good idea since getting redirected to two
> different mirrors during one install attempt would likely confuse
> most existing scripts if versions were slightly out of sync.

I don't think it would direct you to two different mirrors during one
install attempt. Wouldn't a single python session cache DNS resolution?

On Apr 16, 2012, at 1:05 AM, Dylan Jay wrote:

> On 16/04/2012, at 5:42 PM, Noah Kantrowitz wrote:
>

>> On Apr 16, 2012, at 12:10 AM, Dylan Jay wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Some DNS load balancing services have api's. For example edgedirector.com, but there others (and perhaps cheaper).
>>>
>>> Why not go to the next level and get the script on this page to update a DNS load balancer with all green mirrors?
>>> Then switching mirrors would be automatic.
>>
>> This wouldn't be a good idea since getting redirected to two different mirrors during one install attempt would likely confuse most existing scripts if versions were slightly out of sync.
>
> I don't think it would direct you to two different mirrors during one install attempt. Wouldn't a single python session cache DNS resolution?
I don't see how you could assume that given that it would follow the system resolver's behavior in most cases, and that isn't the kind of thing to count on. Regardless the uptime of PyPI will shortly become a non-issue :-)

--Noah

Re: PyPI mirrors are all up to date

Sebastien Douche
On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 04:09, ken cochrane <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I also added a bunch of other features to the site, so feel free to
> check it out and let me know if you can think of anything else.
>
> http://www.pypi-mirrors.org

Nice! Thanks Ken. Missing only an information imho: the number of
packages on each mirror (to known if the mirror is really up to date).

--
Sebastien Douche <[hidden email]>
Twitter: @sdouche / G+: +sdouche

Re: PyPI mirrors are all up to date

"Martin v. Löwis"
> Why not go to the next level and get the script on this page to update a
> DNS load balancer with all green mirrors?

I still think that mirror selection should be on the client side. First,
if you have an infrastructure that updates the mirror list, it is again
a single point of failure. Plus, clients would want to select a mirror
based on network performance, which a DNS load balancer cannot achieve.

Regards,
Martin

Re: PyPI mirrors are all up to date

Andreas Jung-5

lists.vcf (325 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: PyPI mirrors are all up to date

Donald Stufft
fwiw I go back and forth on how I feel about this. For sure the client wants to select the mirror
based on network performance to them. But I feel like if a mirror get's to be "stuck" and not
updating that PyPI should at some point remove it from the pool (and notify the owner that it has done so)
until it catches back up.

Am 16.04.2012 15:44, schrieb Donald Stufft:
> fwiw I go back and forth on how I feel about this. For sure the client
> wants to select the mirror
> based on network performance to them. But I feel like if a mirror get's
> to be "stuck" and not
> updating that PyPI should at some point remove it from the pool (and
> notify the owner that it has done so)
> until it catches back up.

This is actually how it works. There may be differences though in what
the threshold for removal is. I'd personally set it to
a) trying to reach the operator at least three times, *and*
b) the mirror being outdated by more than six month (sic).

>From my own experience, I find it very plausible to not be able to
work on a problem for several months, so an outage by that time
doesn't bother me - as long as clients can reliably detect the outage.
If the mirror was corrupt in some other way (e.g. claiming to be
up-to-date even though it is not) is a different story; that could
cause immediate removal.

Regards,
Martin

On 16/04/2012, at 11:30 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

>> Why not go to the next level and get the script on this page to
>> update a
>> DNS load balancer with all green mirrors?
>
> I still think that mirror selection should be on the client side.
> First,
> if you have an infrastructure that updates the mirror list, it is
> again
> a single point of failure. Plus, clients would want to select a mirror
> based on network performance, which a DNS load balancer cannot
> achieve.

One of the services offered by edgedirector.com etc is "geo-targetted
global load balancing" which means they will serve up the IP closest
to your location.

In any case offering a load balanced domain like "any.pypi.org"
doesn't preclude individual mirror domains. The user could choose.

> Regards,
> Martin

123