PyQt4 ImportError for QtWebKit

daniela romeo
Hi all,
I'm new to the list and new to Python also.
I've been requested to create a program with a webview in it.
I've tried to import QtWebKit module but I have this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: dlopen(/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/PyQt4/QtWebKit.so, 2): Symbol not found: _kCFWebServicesProviderDefaultDisplayNameKey
  Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/QtWebKit.framework/Versions/4/QtWebKit
  Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation

It's the only one module that returns me this error. All other installed modules are ok. The file /Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/PyQt4/QtWebKit.so exists.
What could the problem be?

Thank you all.

Re: PyQt4 ImportError for QtWebKit

Ronald Oussoren

On 9 Nov, 2011, at 17:44, daniela romeo wrote:

Hi all,
I'm new to the list and new to Python also.
I've been requested to create a program with a webview in it.
I've tried to import QtWebKit module but I have this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: dlopen(/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/PyQt4/QtWebKit.so, 2): Symbol not found: _kCFWebServicesProviderDefaultDisplayNameKey
  Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/QtWebKit.framework/Versions/4/QtWebKit
  Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation

It's the only one module that returns me this error. All other installed modules are ok. The file /Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/PyQt4/QtWebKit.so exists.
What could the problem be?

This is probably caused by a copy of QtWebKit that was build on a later version of the OS than you're currently using (for example building QtWebKit on OSX 10.6 and running on OSX 10.5). The symbol that's mentioned is not a public symbol in CoreFoundation in OSX 10.6 or 10.7 (I haven't checked older SDKs), it could therefore also be a copy of QtWebKit build on an older version of the OS that is accessing a private symbol that got removed in a later release.

Ronald

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

Re: PyQt4 ImportError for QtWebKit

daniela romeo
Hi Ronald,
thank you very much for your answer.
I'm not sure to have fully understood your explanation, but this is what I did.

I found on stackoverflow site a shell command to retrieve which sdk python is using, but it didn't work on my machine.
On the terminal I wrote this:

python-config --cflags --ldflags

And result was:

-I/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/include/python2.6 -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/include/python2.6 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -dynamic -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -Os -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -DENABLE_DTRACE -arch i386 -arch ppc -arch x86_64

I should have had also a "-isysroot" parameter on the result, as explained on stackoverflow, but as you can see I don't have it. Do you think could it be a problem about my python installation?
If can help, my OSX is 10.6.8 and it has two SDKs, 10.5 and 10.6.

I've also searched in my system for files named "QtWebKit" to find duplicates as you said and the strange thing is that some of the files I've found have been created on the system a month ago, but I installed "QtSDK", "sip" and "PyQt" just a few days ago.

Thank you again.

Daniela

Subject: Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] PyQt4 ImportError for QtWebKit