PyQt4 installed into different dir than sip and not importable on MacOSX

PyQt4 installed into different dir than sip and not importable on MacOSX

Andreas Pakulat
Hi,

just installed the latest PyQt4 release (4.11.3) on MacOSX and could not impot PyQt4 afterwards in python. Turns out it decided to place itself into /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages, however that directory is not in sys.path after starting Python.

sip on the other hand (installed just before, version is 4.16.6) put itself into /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages and that is part of sys.path.

I guess this isn't intended? Where does PyQt gather the default installation directory from?

Andreas

PS: Passing -d /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages worked fine of course.

Re: PyQt4 installed into different dir than sip and not importable on MacOSX

Phil Thompson-5
On 20/03/2015 8:44 pm, Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just installed the latest PyQt4 release (4.11.3) on MacOSX and could
> not
> impot PyQt4 afterwards in python. Turns out it decided to place itself
> into
> /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages,
> however that directory is not in sys.path after starting Python.
>
> sip on the other hand (installed just before, version is 4.16.6) put
> itself
> into /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages and that is part of sys.path.
>
> I guess this isn't intended? Where does PyQt gather the default
> installation directory from?
>
> Andreas
>
> PS: Passing -d /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages worked fine of course.

The /System/... location is for python that ships with OS X. The
/Library/... location is for the python from python.org.

Are you sure you used the same python throughout?

Phil

Re: PyQt4 installed into different dir than sip and not importable on MacOSX

Andreas Pakulat
Hi Phil,

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 10:39 PM, Phil Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yes very sure since I did not have a python from python.org when I tried first time. Explicitly starting python through /System/Library/FrameWorks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python and fetching sys.path still shows no site-packages under the /System/ hierarchy, but the one from /Library.

I've meanwhile installed pip using the System python and that was placed in /Library as well.

However I do notice now that my /usr/bin/python is slightly larger than the python2.7 binary. No idea wether thats normal or not (a hunch tells me this is because that one reads out some OSX config to determine which Python I want as default), but at least the dates of the two are matching (Sep 10th 2014)

All this is on a fresh OSX 10.10.

Andreas

On 21/03/2015 8:29 am, Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> Hi Phil,
>
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 10:39 PM, Phil Thompson
> <[hidden email]
>> wrote:
>
>> On 20/03/2015 8:44 pm, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> just installed the latest PyQt4 release (4.11.3) on MacOSX and could
>>> not
>>> impot PyQt4 afterwards in python. Turns out it decided to place
>>> itself
>>> into
>>> /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/
>>> lib/python2.7/site-packages,
>>> however that directory is not in sys.path after starting Python.
>>>
>>> sip on the other hand (installed just before, version is 4.16.6) put
>>> itself
>>> into /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages and that is part of sys.path.
>>>
>>> I guess this isn't intended? Where does PyQt gather the default
>>> installation directory from?
>>>
>>> Andreas
>>>
>>> PS: Passing -d /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages worked fine of
>>> course.
>>>

>> The /System/... location is for python that ships with OS X. The
>> /Library/... location is for the python from python.org.
>>
>> Are you sure you used the same python throughout?
>>

> Yes very sure since I did not have a python from python.org when I
> tried
> first time. Explicitly starting python through
> /System/Library/FrameWorks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python and
> fetching sys.path still shows no site-packages under the /System/
> hierarchy, but the one from /Library.
>
> I've meanwhile installed pip using the System python and that was
> placed in
> /Library as well.
>
> However I do notice now that my /usr/bin/python is slightly larger than
> the
> python2.7 binary. No idea wether thats normal or not (a hunch tells me
> this
> is because that one reads out some OSX config to determine which Python
> want as default), but at least the dates of the two are matching (Sep
> 10th
> 2014)
>
> All this is on a fresh OSX 10.10.

I assume you are using configure-ng.py.

Can you try with the current PyQt4 snapshot? I suspect that it has
already been fixed.

Phil

wrote:

[...]

yes, I'm using configure-ng.py.

Can you try with the current PyQt4 snapshot? I suspect that it has already been fixed.

I just tried PyQt-mac-gpl-4.11.4-snapshot-265be2eab2fa and indeed it seems to pick /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages as default installation directory. So unless there's some global cache of this I think the issue is fixed for 4.11.4 already :)

Andreas