PyQt5-tools wheel for 5.7 (just designer for now)

PyQt5-tools wheel for 5.7 (just designer for now)

Kyle Altendorf
I took Phil's cue and started a basic wheel with Designer and the PyQt5
plugin.

https://github.com/altendky/pyqt5-tools/releases/tag/v5.7.dev1

But, while the pyqt5.dll plugin does load, my widgets don't load.  They
do work with Windows and Linux 5.5.1 setups as well as Linux 5.7.  Last
I checked, there wasn't really any diagnostic ability for this in
Windows.  Has anything changed on that front or do I need to start
adding debugging to the source code?

If people like this, I can start adding some other tools once I get
Designer working for myself.  And get it on PyPi...

Cheers,
-kyle

Re: PyQt5-tools wheel for 5.7 (just designer for now)

Detlev Offenbach

Hi Kyle,

unfortunately I cann help with your issue. But I would like my highest interest in a PyQt developer wheel containing designer, linguist, lrelease, qcollectiongenerator, qhelpgenerator and optionally assistant. If that goes together with the Qt documentation, it would make a wonderful companion for the PyQt5 wheel.

Regards,

Detlev

On Tuesday 02 August 2016, 11:51:07 Kyle Altendorf wrote:

> I took Phil's cue and started a basic wheel with Designer and the PyQt5

> plugin.

> https://github.com/altendky/pyqt5-tools/releases/tag/v5.7.dev1

> But, while the pyqt5.dll plugin does load, my widgets don't load. They

> do work with Windows and Linux 5.5.1 setups as well as Linux 5.7. Last

> I checked, there wasn't really any diagnostic ability for this in

> Windows. Has anything changed on that front or do I need to start

> adding debugging to the source code?

> If people like this, I can start adding some other tools once I get

> Designer working for myself. And get it on PyPi...

> Cheers,

> -kyle

Detlev Offenbach

Re: PyQt5-tools wheel for 5.7 (just designer for now)

Kyle Altendorf
I haven't managed to get any debugging output but I did try it with the
examples/designer/plugins/plugins.py script (adjusted for my designer
binary path).  It also loads pyqt5.dll but does not show any widgets
listed under it (via Help > About Plugins) or in the regular widget bar
on the left.

Phil, last time I had widget issues we both had bugs.  Do you have a
working copy of pyqt5.dll for 5.7 that I could try?

Cheers,
-kyle

On 2016-08-02 11:51, Kyle Altendorf wrote:

> I took Phil's cue and started a basic wheel with Designer and the PyQt5
> plugin.
>
> https://github.com/altendky/pyqt5-tools/releases/tag/v5.7.dev1
>
> But, while the pyqt5.dll plugin does load, my widgets don't load.
> They do work with Windows and Linux 5.5.1 setups as well as Linux 5.7.
>  Last I checked, there wasn't really any diagnostic ability for this
> in Windows.  Has anything changed on that front or do I need to start
> adding debugging to the source code?
>
> If people like this, I can start adding some other tools once I get
> Designer working for myself.  And get it on PyPi...
>
> Cheers,
> -kyle

Re: PyQt5-tools wheel for 5.7 (just designer for now)

Baptiste de la gorce
Hello,

I have the same problem, none of the plugin examples appear in Qt
Designer. I installed a clean python 3.6.4 , I made a pip3 install Py
Qt5 == 5.9 (to be at the same version as pyqt5-tools),and I made a pip
install pyqt5-tools.
I modified the examples/designer/ plugins/plugins.py script to find the
binary designer.
In help> plugin Information, i have an error message telling me that
pyqt5.dll is not a valid Win32 application.
Has anyone managed to have plugins visible in Qt Designer?
I really need it.

Cheers,

Baptiste

Le 03/08/2016 à 18:45, Kyle Altendorf a écrit :

> I haven't managed to get any debugging output but I did try it with
> the examples/designer/plugins/plugins.py script (adjusted for my
> designer binary path).  It also loads pyqt5.dll but does not show any
> widgets listed under it (via Help > About Plugins) or in the regular
> widget bar on the left.
>
> Phil, last time I had widget issues we both had bugs.  Do you have a
> working copy of pyqt5.dll for 5.7 that I could try?
>
> Cheers,
> -kyle
>

> On 2016-08-02 11:51, Kyle Altendorf wrote:
>> I took Phil's cue and started a basic wheel with Designer and the
>> PyQt5 plugin.
>>
>> https://github.com/altendky/pyqt5-tools/releases/tag/v5.7.dev1
>>
>> But, while the pyqt5.dll plugin does load, my widgets don't load.
>> They do work with Windows and Linux 5.5.1 setups as well as Linux 5.7.
>>  Last I checked, there wasn't really any diagnostic ability for this
>> in Windows.  Has anything changed on that front or do I need to start
>> adding debugging to the source code?
>>
>> If people like this, I can start adding some other tools once I get
>> Designer working for myself.  And get it on PyPi...
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -kyle

Re: PyQt5-tools wheel for 5.7 (just designer for now)

michael h
pyqt5.dll is not a valid Win32 application.

Baptiste

Usually when I've seen this the user is mixing 32 and 64 bit exes/dlls

Michael

On 2018-02-12 14:18, Baptiste de la gorce wrote:
> I have the same problem, none of the plugin examples appear in Qt
> Designer. I installed a clean python 3.6.4 , I made a pip3 install Py
> Qt5 == 5.9 (to be at the same version as pyqt5-tools),and I made a pip
> install pyqt5-tools.
> I modified the examples/designer/ plugins/plugins.py script to find
> the binary designer.
> In help> plugin Information, i have an error message telling me that
> pyqt5.dll is not a valid Win32 application.
> Has anyone managed to have plugins visible in Qt Designer?

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.   Are you trying to do a custom
plugin or just use custom widgets?  It can be a bit confusing since
pyqt5.dll is a Designer plugin for accessing custom Python widgets but
the term plugin is also used for the class that you write for each
widget you want to expose.

I definitely have custom widgets showing in Designer, that is really the
primary reason I made pyqt5-tools (having a binary distribution of
pyqt5.dll for Designer).  If you want custom widgets then maybe try with
my project at github.com/altendky/st.  There are instructions in the
readme to set it up and then you can try `designer.bat` (or `.vbs`) as a
first test.  There should be a bunch of  extra widgets at the bottom of
the list in Designer.

I do not recall if I got the examples showing in Designer or not.

Cheers,
-kyle

Re: PyQt5-tools wheel for 5.7 (just designer for now)

Baptiste de la gorce
Thank you Michael for your advice .

I tried again this morning, being careful to use the good versions of dlls (32 vs 64 bit),but I did not manage to get the plugin examples to display in Qt Designer.
 I installed a clean python 3.6.2  , I made a pip3 install PyQt5==5.9 (to be at the same version as pyqt5-tools),and I made a pip install pyqt5-tools.I modified the examples/designer/plugins/plugins.py script to find the binary designer. In help> plugin Information, i get now an error message saying "Cannot load library ......\pyqt5-tools\plugins\designer\pyqt5.dll: the specified module could not be found". I'm sure that the file exists and that designer found it because when I remove it , in help> plugin Information, QtDesigner juste says "QtDesigner could'nt find any plugins".  I have tried with both python 3.6.2 32 bit and python 3.6.2 64 bit and have exactly the same error.
Did someone manage to have plugins visible in Qt Designer? thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Baptiste