Quantcast

PyXML installation in Zope2.8.5

Dev-34
Hi,

Product - zope 2.8.5 final [python version - 2.3.5]

I get following error when executing -

python setup.py build

============
running build_ext
error: Python was built with version 6 of Visual Studio, and extensions need to be built with the sa
me version of the compiler, but it isn't installed.
==============
Help!

Regards

Re: PyXML installation in Zope2.8.5

Dieter Maurer
Sudesh Soni wrote at 2009-11-17 08:50 -0800:

>Product - zope 2.8.5 final [python version - 2.3.5]
>
>I get following error when executing -
>
>python setup.py build
>
>============
>running build_ext
>error: Python was built with version 6 of Visual Studio, and extensions need to be built with the sa
>me version of the compiler, but it isn't installed.

"PyXML" contains extensions written in "C".
When you build "PyXML" yourself, these extensions need to be compiled.
To be compatible with Python, these compilations need to use essentially
the same compiler as the one used for Python. Your observed error:
The required compiler (version 6 of Visual Studio) is not available on
your system.

Almost surely, there are prebuilt "PyXML" binaries for Windows.
Your easiest option is to install one of them
and do not try to build "PyXML" yourself.

--
Dieter

Re: PyXML installation in Zope2.8.5

Dev-34
Thanks Dieter,

Other than gzip file and I could find an exe for PYXML installation , but the problem is that, during installation it cannot locate the python2.3 that is in zope 2.8 itself, instead it looks in the windows registry.
Suggest.

Regards
Sudesh

Sudesh Soni wrote at 2009-11-18 08:14 -0800:
>Thanks Dieter,
>
>Other than gzip file and I could find an exe for PYXML installation , but the problem is that, during installation it cannot locate the python2.3 that is in zope 2.8 itself, instead it looks in the windows registry.
>Suggest.

I am sure there is a workaround. Unfortunately, I am no Windows expert...

Under *nix, I have seen a similar situation and approached it as follows:

  Situation: Operating system distributions often come with their own
  python package and associated extension packages. Their package management
  makes it often far more easy to install an OS package than
  generate a Python package by hand (at least before "easy_install" and PyPI).

  Approach: Install via the operating system package management
  and then copy the files and directories over to the Python installation
  you need them in. Of course, this requires that the OS Python
  is similar enough to the target Python.

I do not know where the standard Python is installed under Windows.
But, the registry should tell you.
The relevant directory contains probably some
"\lib\python<version>\site-packages". ("\lib\python<version>" might be missing
unter Windows). There subdirectories containing "xml" are relevant
and need to be copied to the target Python installation.

Probably, there is an easier approach. I expect (but am not sure)
that the installer can be told via a parameter to use a secondary
Python installation. Look whether you can find installation instructions.
Or try typical ways to determine what parameters can be provided
to an executable ("<exe> /help", "<exe> /h", or similar).

--
Dieter

Re: PyXML installation in Zope2.8.5

Dev-34