Python 3: yum is dead, long live dnf!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Python 3: yum is dead, long live dnf!

Steven D'Aprano-11
As part of Red Hat's move to Python 3, yum is officially deprecated and
replaced by dnf:

http://dnf.baseurl.org/2015/05/11/yum-is-dead-long-live-dnf/

Quote:

    Yum would not survive the ?Python 3 as default? Fedora
    initiative meanwhile DNF is able to run on Python 2 and
    Python 3.



--
Steve



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Python 3: yum is dead, long live dnf!

alister
On Mon, 18 May 2015 15:21:05 +1000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> As part of Red Hat's move to Python 3, yum is officially deprecated and
> replaced by dnf:
>
> http://dnf.baseurl.org/2015/05/11/yum-is-dead-long-live-dnf/
>
> Quote:
>
>     Yum would not survive the ?Python 3 as default? Fedora initiative
>     meanwhile DNF is able to run on Python 2 and Python 3.


Poor choice of name DNF= Did Not Finish


--
In war, truth is the first casualty.
                -- U Thant


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Python 3: yum is dead, long live dnf!

alister
On Mon, 18 May 2015 10:18:49 +0000, alister wrote:

> On Mon, 18 May 2015 15:21:05 +1000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>
>> As part of Red Hat's move to Python 3, yum is officially deprecated and
>> replaced by dnf:
>>
>> http://dnf.baseurl.org/2015/05/11/yum-is-dead-long-live-dnf/
>>
>> Quote:
>>
>>     Yum would not survive the ?Python 3 as default? Fedora initiative
>>     meanwhile DNF is able to run on Python 2 and Python 3.
>
>
> Poor choice of name DNF= Did Not Finish


Which may be fitting
it just waisted 10 min downloading everything before discovering I did
not have permission (forgot to sudo)


--
Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities.
                -- Mark Twain


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Python 3: yum is dead, long live dnf!

Mark Lawrence
In reply to this post by alister
On 18/05/2015 11:18, alister wrote:

> On Mon, 18 May 2015 15:21:05 +1000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>
>> As part of Red Hat's move to Python 3, yum is officially deprecated and
>> replaced by dnf:
>>
>> http://dnf.baseurl.org/2015/05/11/yum-is-dead-long-live-dnf/
>>
>> Quote:
>>
>>      Yum would not survive the ?Python 3 as default? Fedora initiative
>>      meanwhile DNF is able to run on Python 2 and Python 3.
>
>
> Poor choice of name DNF= Did Not Finish
>

Does Not Fail?

As an aside, from the signature of your message, I thought "In war,
truth is the first casualty." was first said by Winston Churchill, not U
Thant?

--
My fellow Pythonistas, ask not what our language can do for you, ask
what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Python 3: yum is dead, long live dnf!

Chris Angelico
On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 8:30 PM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> As an aside, from the signature of your message, I thought "In war, truth is
> the first casualty." was first said by Winston Churchill, not U Thant?

I prefer the White King's line. Alice commented that she should
perhaps be grateful for the truth, even though a lie might well have
been more persuasive; the King replies, "In war, truth first! There's
always time for lies later."

ChrisA


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Python 3: yum is dead, long live dnf!

alister
In reply to this post by alister
On Mon, 18 May 2015 11:30:57 +0100, Mark Lawrence wrote:

> On 18/05/2015 11:18, alister wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 May 2015 15:21:05 +1000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>>
>>> As part of Red Hat's move to Python 3, yum is officially deprecated
>>> and replaced by dnf:
>>>
>>> http://dnf.baseurl.org/2015/05/11/yum-is-dead-long-live-dnf/
>>>
>>> Quote:
>>>
>>>      Yum would not survive the ?Python 3 as default? Fedora initiative
>>>      meanwhile DNF is able to run on Python 2 and Python 3.
>>
>>
>> Poor choice of name DNF= Did Not Finish
>>
>>
> Does Not Fail?
>
> As an aside, from the signature of your message, I thought "In war,
> truth is the first casualty." was first said by Winston Churchill, not U
> Thant?

Dont ask me, it is generated by fortune running on my Linux box


--
The aim of a joke is not to degrade the human being but to remind him that
he is already degraded.
                -- George Orwell


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Python 3: yum is dead, long live dnf!

Steven D'Aprano-11
In reply to this post by alister
On Mon, 18 May 2015 08:18 pm, alister wrote:

> On Mon, 18 May 2015 15:21:05 +1000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>
>> As part of Red Hat's move to Python 3, yum is officially deprecated and
>> replaced by dnf:
>>
>> http://dnf.baseurl.org/2015/05/11/yum-is-dead-long-live-dnf/
>>
>> Quote:
>>
>>     Yum would not survive the ?Python 3 as default? Fedora initiative
>>     meanwhile DNF is able to run on Python 2 and Python 3.
>
>
> Poor choice of name DNF= Did Not Finish

:-)

Computer programs, like art, are never finished, merely abandoned.

Except for TeX, of course, which upon Donald Knuth's death will be released
as version ? and all remaining bugs declared to be features.




--
Steven



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Python 3: yum is dead, long live dnf!

alister
In reply to this post by alister
On Mon, 18 May 2015 15:08:07 +0300, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:

> On 05/18/2015 01:28 PM, alister wrote:
>> Which may be fitting it just waisted 10 min downloading everything
>> before discovering I did not have permission (forgot to sudo)
>
> I think if you resume the transaction, downloaded things are locally
> cached: aren't they?

No, it downloaded them all again



--
Don't wake me up too soon...
Gonna take a ride across the moon...
You and me.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Python 3: yum is dead, long live dnf!

Mihamina Rakotomandimby
In reply to this post by alister
On 05/18/2015 01:28 PM, alister wrote:
> Which may be fitting
> it just waisted 10 min downloading everything before discovering I did
> not have permission (forgot to sudo)

I think if you resume the transaction, downloaded things are locally
cached: aren't they?


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Python 3: yum is dead, long live dnf!

Mihamina Rakotomandimby
In reply to this post by alister
On 05/18/2015 03:08 PM, alister wrote:

> On Mon, 18 May 2015 15:08:07 +0300, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
>
>> On 05/18/2015 01:28 PM, alister wrote:
>>> Which may be fitting it just waisted 10 min downloading everything
>>> before discovering I did not have permission (forgot to sudo)
>> I think if you resume the transaction, downloaded things are locally
>> cached: aren't they?
> No, it downloaded them all again
>
>

That should be reprted as a usefull missing feature...


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Python 3: yum is dead, long live dnf!

Mark Lawrence
In reply to this post by Steven D'Aprano-11
On 18/05/2015 12:49, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> On Mon, 18 May 2015 08:18 pm, alister wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 18 May 2015 15:21:05 +1000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>>
>>> As part of Red Hat's move to Python 3, yum is officially deprecated and
>>> replaced by dnf:
>>>
>>> http://dnf.baseurl.org/2015/05/11/yum-is-dead-long-live-dnf/
>>>
>>> Quote:
>>>
>>>      Yum would not survive the ?Python 3 as default? Fedora initiative
>>>      meanwhile DNF is able to run on Python 2 and Python 3.
>>
>>
>> Poor choice of name DNF= Did Not Finish
>
> :-)
>
> Computer programs, like art, are never finished, merely abandoned.
>
> Except for TeX, of course, which upon Donald Knuth's death will be released
> as version ? and all remaining bugs declared to be features.
>

I didn't realise that there is an emoticon depicting Stonehenge, thanks
for that :)

--
My fellow Pythonistas, ask not what our language can do for you, ask
what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Python 3: yum is dead, long live dnf!

Gregory Ewing
In reply to this post by alister
Mark Lawrence wrote:
> As an aside, from the signature of your message, I thought "In war,
> truth is the first casualty." was first said by Winston Churchill,

But... did he say it during wartime?

--
Greg