Python Meetup Octobre 22nd

Folkje
Hi all,

The Amsterdam Python Meetup Group is doing a Python Meetup on Octobre 22nd. It would be nice if you would join us! http://www.meetup.com/Amsterdam-Python-Meetup-Group/events/202046722/

If there's also still a Python-Perl thing going on somewhere we'd be happy to join too. There can never be enough Python Meetups :)

Hope to see you all soon,

--
Folkje Lips
Teamcoördinator Techniek

W http://www.byte.nl
E [hidden email]
De Ruyterkade 139
1011 AC Amsterdam
T +31 (0) 20 5216 226
F +31 (0) 20 5216 227

FAQ: veelgestelde vragen staan op http://www.byte.nl/wiki

Re: Python Meetup Octobre 22nd

Reinout van Rees
On 20-08-14 13:13, Folkje wrote:
> The Amsterdam Python Meetup Group is doing a Python Meetup on Octobre
> 22nd. It would be nice if you would join us!
> http://www.meetup.com/Amsterdam-Python-Meetup-Group/events/202046722/
>
> If there's also still a Python-Perl thing going on somewhere we'd be
> happy to join too. There can never be enough Python Meetups :)

Not entirely sure about that last comment. There *can* be too much
fragmentation so that it isn't clear anymore when/where there are python
meetings.

There ought to be a PUN python meeting more or less every three months.
Is this Amsterdam meeting intended to be the PUN-in-Amsterdam meeting?
The one someone said he'd organize somewhere in sept/okt?

I'm asking as there was a possibility that the PUN one would be
organized in december instead of sept/okt... So I need to know if I need
to poke someone else to organize a meeting.

(I'm making a bit of a point about it as I don't want to default to
Amsterdam as the default meeting location for the 10-year-old PUN
meetings just because someone decided to start a python group in
Amsterdam a few months ago :-) ) Meetup.com makes it too easy to start
new groups IMHO :-)

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees                          http://reinout.vanrees.org/
[hidden email]                   http://www.nelen-schuurmans.nl/

Re: Python Meetup Octobre 22nd

Mallory van Achterberg
On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 04:19:03AM +0200, Reinout van Rees wrote:
> On 20-08-14 13:13, Folkje wrote:
> >If there's also still a Python-Perl thing going on somewhere we'd be
> >happy to join too. There can never be enough Python Meetups :)
>
> Not entirely sure about that last comment. There *can* be too much
> fragmentation so that it isn't clear anymore when/where there are
> python meetings.

I go to both the AmsterdamX (Perl) "meetups" at Booking and also
the Byte Python Meetups in Amsterdam, and sometimes the talks
available would have excellent overlap, plus I could see benefits
to things like sharing meeting resources and getting people out
of their echo chambers regarding what's going on tech-wise in
different communities.

That said, I tend to see the general PUN meetings as pretty much
pure/mostly Python and scheduled to be *anywhere*, and the Byte
meetups as being fairly Python but also broader (talks on Ansible,
regexen, CMSes, that sort of thing) and based in Amsterdam.

Amsterdam isn't the easiest to get to for everyone, so I see it as
an advantage that the general PUN meetings change location while
the Byte meetups stay, well, at Byte (unless they did something
together with Booking/Perl people).

I also see the PUN meetings as being more Dutch-language, and the
talks feel often more detailed and technical in general (maybe also
because they can be longer) than the Byte talks. Again, I see them
as separate and complimentary.
In Perl there are "monger" groups, groups of people centered around
Perl and then generally a location, and there are two in Amsterdam:
the original Amsterdam.pm which meets in Diemen and in Dutch, and the
AmsterdamX.pm (Amsterdam eXpats) which tends to be in English and
at Booking. They compliment each other, but one didn't replace the
other.

I wouldn't want the Byte meetups to all-out replace the PUN meetups.

My 2 cents
_mallory

On 08/31/2014 04:19 AM, Reinout van Rees wrote:
(I'm making a bit of a point about it as I don't want to default to Amsterdam as the default meeting location for the 10-year-old PUN meetings just because someone decided to start a python group in Amsterdam a few months ago :-) )
I don't think our initiative to start up an Amsterdam-based Python group needs to undermine your plans to organize PUNs elsewhere. We just liked to get together more often :)

In this case, I tried very hard to hook up with the organizers of PUN, because I too heard that there were plans to organize one in sept/okt in Amsterdam. Since I failed at getting anything confirmed, I just decided to go on with our own plans. If you still want, I'd be happy to give this one a PUN label as well. But I'll be just as happy if you poke someone else to organize a different Meetup.

Either way, everybody is welcome to join us (http://www.meetup.com/Amsterdam-Python-Meetup-Group/events/202046722/)

Folkje

On 01-09-14 09:31, Folkje wrote:

> In this case, I tried very hard to hook up with the organizers of PUN,
> because I too heard that there were plans to organize one in sept/okt in
> Amsterdam. Since I failed at getting anything confirmed, I just decided
> to go on with our own plans. If you still want, I'd be happy to give
> this one a PUN label as well. But I'll be just as happy if you poke
> someone else to organize a different Meetup.

October in Amsterdam sounds fine, no problem. So I just added
http://www.meetup.com/dutch-django-assocation/events/204410982/
to point to the Amsterdam meetup (to make sure the ones looking at the
python/django page know the meetup is coming).

(No need to officially mention PUN on the Amsterdam page or something
paperwork-y like that :-) )

> Either way, everybody is welcome to join us
> (http://www.meetup.com/Amsterdam-Python-Meetup-Group/events/202046722/)

I'll be there!

Reinout

On 01-09-14 08:35, Mallory van Achterberg wrote:
> That said, I tend to see the general PUN meetings as pretty much
> pure/mostly Python and scheduled to be*anywhere*, and the Byte
> meetups as being fairly Python but also broader (talks on Ansible,
> regexen, CMSes, that sort of thing) and based in Amsterdam.

Pure python? Not really. We don't have talks on perl/node/whatever, but
we do have talks on django (web), plone (cms), GIS systems, etc.

There aren't many talks that are pure about something very
python-internal. There was one at the last PUN, though, a nice one about
"async, coroutines, event loops", which looks a bit like the "Python,
Parallelism and Concurrency" that you've planned :-)

> I also see the PUN meetings as being more Dutch-language, and the
> talks feel often more detailed and technical in general (maybe also
> because they can be longer) than the Byte talks. Again, I see them
> as separate and complimentary.

Dutch-language? All the talks are in English, unless everyone
understands Dutch.
Most of the talking during the breaks is in Dutch unless there's someone
standing next to you that talks English. Perhaps this is different at
the Byte meetings?

How long are the talks at Byte? I'm used to (2) talks of max 30 minutes.
Sounds like you do 15 minute talks or so?

Reinout

On Mon, Sep 01, 2014 at 01:35:42PM +0200, Reinout van Rees wrote:
> On 01-09-14 08:35, Mallory van Achterberg wrote:
> >That said, I tend to see the general PUN meetings as pretty much
> >pure/mostly Python and scheduled to be*anywhere*, and the Byte
> >meetups as being fairly Python but also broader (talks on Ansible,
> >regexen, CMSes, that sort of thing) and based in Amsterdam.
>
> Pure python? Not really. We don't have talks on perl/node/whatever,
> but we do have talks on django (web), plone (cms), GIS systems, etc.
The ones you list stick closer to Python, wereas the Ansible talk,
while from the point of view of someone working at a Python shop,
was focussed on pros and cons of Ansible.
Byte also doesn't go to other languages like Perl or node, that's
a different idea (that possibly at some point a purposely-mixed
meeting could be set up, separate from general Byte and PUN and
AmsterdamX meetings).
I didn't mean PUN talks are necessarily nitty-gritty l33t-haxx0r
stuff :)

> There aren't many talks that are pure about something very
> python-internal. There was one at the last PUN, though, a nice one
> about "async, coroutines, event loops", which looks a bit like the
> "Python, Parallelism and Concurrency" that you've planned :-)
I do wonder how similar it will be to Tikitu's talk, which btw was
very, very nice :)

> >I also see the PUN meetings as being more Dutch-language, and the
> >talks feel often more detailed and technical in general (maybe also
> >because they can be longer) than the Byte talks. Again, I see them
> >as separate and complimentary.
>
> Dutch-language? All the talks are in English, unless everyone
> understands Dutch.
I thought it was other way around: they'd be in Dutch, unless someone
in the audience didn't understand.
But so then in any case my view was wrong.

> Most of the talking during the breaks is in Dutch unless there's
> someone standing next to you that talks English. Perhaps this is
> different at the Byte meetings?
People before/between talks do in whatever language works, so a group
of all-Dutch speakers may speak in Dutch. Talks so far seem to all be
in English, though I dunno if that was always the case.

> How long are the talks at Byte? I'm used to (2) talks of max 30
> minutes. Sounds like you do 15 minute talks or so?

Seems to also depend on how many there are? Last time Job did a talk
where he was told it had to fit in 20 minutes but a) someone canceled
and b) he went way over anyway because it's hard to really show
functional programming in just 20 minutes :P

But Folkje knows the schedule rules best!

_mallory

Re: Python Meetup Octobre 22nd

Tikitu de Jager -- Buzzcapture
On 1 September 2014 17:11, Mallory van Achterberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 01, 2014 at 01:35:42PM +0200, Reinout van Rees wrote:
> There aren't many talks that are pure about something very
> python-internal. There was one at the last PUN, though, a nice one
> about "async, coroutines, event loops", which looks a bit like the
> "Python, Parallelism and Concurrency" that you've planned :-)
I do wonder how similar it will be to Tikitu's talk, which btw was
very, very nice :)

Not to derail the thread, but: thanks!
Tikitu

--

Buzzcapture

Herengracht 180, 1016 BR, Amsterdam

T: +31 (0)20 3200377

M: +30 6947 212 212

Recent
01-08-2014: Buzzcapture breidt uit! Bekijk de vacatures op de site
30-07-2014: Tips voor je contentkalender van augustus en leestips voor op het strand
01-07-2014:
EY en Tennet starten met Buzzcapture
28-06-2014: Ziekenhuizen LUMC en MUMC aan de slag met Buzzcapture
01-06-2014: Buzzcapture integreert print content in Social Media Dashboard

On 01-09-14 16:11, Mallory van Achterberg wrote:
>> >There aren't many talks that are pure about something very
>> >python-internal. There was one at the last PUN, though, a nice one
>> >about "async, coroutines, event loops", which looks a bit like the
>> >"Python, Parallelism and Concurrency" that you've planned:-)
> I do wonder how similar it will be to Tikitu's talk, which btw was
> very, very nice:)

My guess, based on the title, is at a higher level. Whether to use
threads or separate processes. One machine or more. We'll see :-)

>> >Dutch-language? All the talks are in English, unless everyone
>> >understands Dutch.
> I thought it was other way around: they'd be in Dutch, unless someone
> in the audience didn't understand.

Well, it is asked every time whether there's someone who only speaks
English. So that might definitively sound like "we'd prefer Dutch".

My estimate: 80% of the meetings has been in English.

Reinout

On 01-09-14 13:26, Reinout van Rees wrote:

> On 01-09-14 09:31, Folkje wrote:
>>
>> In this case, I tried very hard to hook up with the organizers of PUN,
>> because I too heard that there were plans to organize one in sept/okt in
>> Amsterdam. Since I failed at getting anything confirmed, I just decided
>> to go on with our own plans. If you still want, I'd be happy to give
>> this one a PUN label as well. But I'll be just as happy if you poke
>> someone else to organize a different Meetup.
>
> October in Amsterdam sounds fine, no problem. So I just added
> http://www.meetup.com/dutch-django-assocation/events/204410982/
> to point to the Amsterdam meetup (to make sure the ones looking at the
> python/django page know the meetup is coming).

Sigh,  just fouled up. The booking.com september PUN meeting [1] was
still actively being planned... So the organizer (understandably) just
sent me an "I'm not happy with this" email because I suggested the other
meeting to be the PUN one.

Sigh, I've tried steering the discussion on what meeting where and when
to the mailinglist and trusted on the three or four Amsterdam companies
and meetups to sort it out amongst themselves.

Apparently I was too hasty in seeing a solution (=finally a meeting
date) and spoke up before my turn. It was never my intention to de-rail
someone's efforts.

I'll keep my mouth shut for a while. Hope to see you sometimes somewhere
at some meeting in Amsterdam :-)

Reinout

1: https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-nl/2014-July/002796.html