Quantcast

Python Ncurses menu documentation

Glen Jarvis
I've found Python bindings for ncurses.

http://docs.python.org/library/curses.html

I've played and gotten panels to work as well as the typical curses.

However, what I need is the menu library:

For the life of me, I can't find this in the Python standard library. Could someone help me confirm that this is missing from the standard library, or point me in the right direction to find it?

Cheers,

Glen
--
Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least.

-- Goethe

Re: Python Ncurses menu documentation

Ned Deily
In article
<[hidden email]>,
 Glen Jarvis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've found Python bindings for ncurses.
>
> http://docs.python.org/library/curses.html
>
> I've played and gotten panels to work as well as the typical curses.
>
> http://docs.python.org/library/curses.panel.html#module-curses.panel
>
> However, what I need is the menu library:
>
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/NCURSES-Programming-HOWTO/menus.html
>
> For the life of me, I can't find this in the Python standard library. Could
> someone help me confirm that this is missing from the standard library, or
> point me in the right direction to find it?

>From the Python source, in Modules/_cursesmodule.c:

/*
[...]
  Here's a list of currently unsupported functions:
[...]
  Menu extension (ncurses and probably SYSV):
  current_item free_item free_menu item_count item_description
  item_index item_init item_name item_opts item_opts_off
[...]

*/

There's a dormant patch here:
    http://bugs.python.org/issue1723038

There's no chance of it getting applied to Python 2 but, if someone
updated it for Python 3.x, there's a good chance it would be applied
there.

--
 Ned Deily,

Re: Python Ncurses menu documentation

Keith Dart ♂
On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 00:05:06 -0700
Ned Deily <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here's a list of currently unsupported functions:

You might be interested in urwid.

http://excess.org/urwid/

I don't know if it has menus already, but I'm pretty sure they could be
added easily.

--

   Keith Dart <[hidden email]>