Python Tools for Visual Studio - anyone using it?

Python Tools for Visual Studio - anyone using it?

Philip Semanchuk
Hi all,
I was reminded today (via Slashdot) of Python Tools for Visual Studio which was discussed on this list back in March (http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2011-March/1267662.html) and has reached version 1.0. Is anyone here using it? Care to share pros & cons?

Here's the URL for those who haven't heard of it before:
http://pytools.codeplex.com/

Thanks
Philip

Re: Python Tools for Visual Studio - anyone using it?

mfperzel
On Aug 30, 1:34 pm, Philip Semanchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I was reminded today (via Slashdot) of Python Tools for Visual Studio which was discussed on this list back in March (http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2011-March/1267662.html) and has reached version 1.0. Is anyone here using it? Care to share pros & cons?
>
> Here's the URL for those who haven't heard of it before:http://pytools.codeplex.com/
>
> Thanks
> Philip

I have been using it for a few days now.  I really like it.  It
doesn't have all of the features of other python specific IDEs but the
core features are done very well. It feels very complete. It seems to
have all the features I need and they feel rock solid.

Pros:
   Seemed very snappy compared to other Python IDEs I have used
   Debugger is very well done.
   Price( Free when using the VS 2010 Shell )
   **Subjective:  The editor just feels really nice.
Cons:
   "Basic" compared to other IDES. By this I mean it doesn't have some
of the nice-to-have features like explicit Django support.
   Have to download and install a 180mb "Shell" version of VS to use
it if you don't already have VS installed.

Personally I was very surprised at how good this plugin is.  It has
quickly become my python IDE of choice on Windows( or anywhere else )

Re: Python Tools for Visual Studio - anyone using it?

Andrew McLean-7
I understand that Python Tools for Visual Studio doesn't work with VS
Express, but does work with the (free) VS 2010 Shell. Does anyone know
if you can install VS Express and VS Shell on the same machine?

Re: Python Tools for Visual Studio - anyone using it?

briancurtin
On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 14:29, Andrew McLean <[hidden email]> wrote:
I understand that Python Tools for Visual Studio doesn't work with VS Express, but does work with the (free) VS 2010 Shell. Does anyone know if you can install VS Express and VS Shell on the same machine?

Yes, because the shell and Express work together.