Python Tools for Visual Studio now accepting contributions

Python Tools for Visual Studio now accepting contributions

Dino Viehland

We’ve been in a difficult place with having two sets of tools for Visual Studio that both work with IronPython.  Those are the existing IronPython Tools that shipped w/ 2.7 and the newer Python Tools for Visual Studio which are derived from the original IronPython code base.  To make things more difficult we’ve been living in a world where you could contribute back to IronPython Tools but contributions weren’t being accepted back to PTVS.  That’s obviously not the best environment for encouraging users to submit changes back and today I’m happy to announce that we’ve fixed this problem and we’re now accepting contributions back to PTVS!

If you’re interested in contributing back feel free to fork PTVS (http://pytools.codeplex.com/SourceControl/network) and submit a pull request for your changes.  Basic contribution guidelines are available here: http://pytools.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Contributing%20to%20PTVS&version=1 and instructions for getting setup to build are available here: http://pytools.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Build%20Instructions%20for%20PTVS

Re: Python Tools for Visual Studio now accepting contributions

Jeff Hardy-4
This is excellent news.

I think the plan should now be to deprecate the IronPython tools and
remove them from IronPython 3.0. They'll stay in future 2.7 releases,
but perhaps they should be disabled by default to make installing PTVS
easier?

- Jeff

Jeff wrote:
> This is excellent news.
>
> I think the plan should now be to deprecate the IronPython tools and
> remove them from IronPython 3.0. They'll stay in future 2.7 releases, but
> perhaps they should be disabled by default to make installing PTVS easier?

That sounds like a good idea to me and it should be a pretty simple change.

Re: Python Tools for Visual Studio now accepting contributions

Keith Rome
Please forgive my ignorance on this matter (I don't currently use any of the integrated VS functionality - have been working with embedding the runtime in an existing application), but what is the difference between "IronPython Tools" and "Python Tools for Visual Studio"? I was under the impression this was the same thing?

Keith Rome
Senior Consultant and Architect
MCPD-EAD, MCSD, MCDBA, MCTS-WPF, MCTS-TFS, MCTS-WSS
Wintellect | 770.617.4016 | [hidden email]
www.wintellect.com

> I think the plan should now be to deprecate the IronPython tools and
> remove them from IronPython 3.0. They'll stay in future 2.7 releases,
> but perhaps they should be disabled by default to make installing PTVS easier?

That sounds like a good idea to me and it should be a pretty simple change.

Re: Python Tools for Visual Studio now accepting contributions

Jeff Hardy-4
The IronPython Tools (or "old" tools) are the original VS integration
tools, developed when IronPython was still funded by MS. PTVS is a new
set of Python (not IronPython-specific; they support CPython and
IronPython, and some Jython and PyPy) tools Dino's working on for MS's
Technical Computing group. Some of the features are HPC-specific (like
MPI cluster debugging) but for the most part it's just a nice Python
environment, and a lot more stable than the old tools.

Dino, can the HPC stuff be split out for people who don't need it?

PTVS is significantly better then the old tools and is also under
active development, and now that they're accepting contributions it
makes sense to me to retire the old tools and just get people to
download PTVS (I doubt we'll bundle them, but instead have a big link
next on the download page).

- Jeff

Keith wrote:
> Please forgive my ignorance on this matter (I don't currently use any of the
> integrated VS functionality - have been working with embedding the runtime
> in an existing application), but what is the difference between "IronPython
> Tools" and "Python Tools for Visual Studio"? I was under the impression this
> was the same thing?

IronPython Tools was the initial version that was undergoing development while
Microsoft was still funding IronPython development.  After we released IronPython
back to the community I switched to a new team and started working on PTVS (using
the IronPython Tools code base as a starting point).  PTVS keeps all of the functionality
that IpyTools had but adds:
        Support for CPython (and other Python implementations like Jython and PyPy)
        Support for multiple versions of Python (2.5 - 3.2)
        A Python specific debugger (instead of just using the .NET debugger)
        Profiling of CPython apps
        MPI projects and debugging

There's probably some other new features that I'm missing.  So it's basically a more
general and better version of IpyTools but our core focus is on high performance
computing scenarios where you'd like to use Python - but we're also making sure
we just have a great Python development experience as well.

Jeff wrote:
> The IronPython Tools (or "old" tools) are the original VS integration tools,
> developed when IronPython was still funded by MS. PTVS is a new set of
> Python (not IronPython-specific; they support CPython and IronPython, and
> some Jython and PyPy) tools Dino's working on for MS's Technical Computing
> group. Some of the features are HPC-specific (like MPI cluster debugging)
> but for the most part it's just a nice Python environment, and a lot more
> stable than the old tools.
>
> Dino, can the HPC stuff be split out for people who don't need it?

Not only can it be split out, it already is!  :) It's in its own VS package already and
when you install it's an optional component.  That's basically a necessity because
it depends upon the HPC SDK which we don't want to require everyone to have.
It does mean if you're doing development on PTVS that you need to have the
VS SDK installed or unload that project from the solution.

> PTVS is significantly better then the old tools and is also under active
> development, and now that they're accepting contributions it makes sense
> to me to retire the old tools and just get people to download PTVS (I doubt
> we'll bundle them, but instead have a big link next on the download page).

Re: Python Tools for Visual Studio now accepting contributions

Dave Wald
On 5/11/2011 3:39 PM, Dino Viehland wrote:

> Keith wrote:
>> Please forgive my ignorance on this matter (I don't currently use any of the
>> integrated VS functionality - have been working with embedding the runtime
>> in an existing application), but what is the difference between "IronPython
>> Tools" and "Python Tools for Visual Studio"? I was under the impression this
>> was the same thing?
> IronPython Tools was the initial version that was undergoing development while
> Microsoft was still funding IronPython development.  After we released IronPython
> back to the community I switched to a new team and started working on PTVS (using
> the IronPython Tools code base as a starting point).  PTVS keeps all of the functionality
> that IpyTools had but adds:
> Support for CPython (and other Python implementations like Jython and PyPy)
> Support for multiple versions of Python (2.5 - 3.2)
> A Python specific debugger (instead of just using the .NET debugger)
> Profiling of CPython apps
> MPI projects and debugging
>
> There's probably some other new features that I'm missing.  So it's basically a more
> general and better version of IpyTools but our core focus is on high performance
> computing scenarios where you'd like to use Python - but we're also making sure
> we just have a great Python development experience as well.

Dino,
The new tools are awesome. Thanks again!

(BTW, any idea yet when this one might be done?
http://ironpython.codeplex.com/workitem/30379 )
Thanks,
Dave