Python UK 2006

Simon Brunning
Is there going to be a Python UK 2006?

Simon B,
[hidden email],

Re: Python UK 2006

Andy Robinson-2
Simon Brunning wrote:
> Is there going to be a Python UK 2006?

Yes!  Maybe two actually, since John Pinner has been talking about
an autumn one at the "Conservatoire" in Birmingham.

(I must apologize for having been in workaholic-land and am just
emerging - it was so bad I failed to notice the Morgan Stanley thing
last week which I'd love to have attended.  I am way behind on
organising the event this year).

The usual ACCU thing is on Wednesday 19 April to Saturday 22 April 2006.
Guido is flying over to be a keynote for the whole conference. There
will be a two-day Python only track, and a day of "dynamic languages"
with talks on Ruby and Javascript.

Things are a bit different this year; it's 'winding down' as they want
to have "python talks on the programme" rather than a "Python
conference" from 2007, which IMHO makes sense as Python is now
'mature' and part of the landscape.  Also, we all learned that the
Python world wants a cheaper, bigger event which ACCU cannot offer.

At present I have talk submissions from
  - Michael Hudson on PyPy
  - Michael Hudson again on Exception Handling
  - me on metadata frameworks (common themese across Django/Sqlobject/
      various graphics frameworks/validation issues)
  - Andrew Thompson on Python in Finance
  - Steve Holden (subject to be decided)

Also John Pinner is giving a "convert to Python" tutorial on the
tutorials day which should be a big draw.

We have 6 90-min slots and the committee would prefer a small number
of UK speakers, as they are aying to bring Guido on..

I need to get my skates on and firm it up fast.  I'd really love
to have talks on
- Django, Turbogears or a comparison.
- Eggs and setuptools
If anyone can do these or has another idea, I suggest to post this list
or email me really quickly.  I emailed Simon Willison but haven't heard
back.

Best Regards,

- Andy Robinson

Re: Python UK 2006

Simon Brunning
On 23/11/05, Andy Robinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Simon Brunning wrote:
> > Is there going to be a Python UK 2006?
> >

> Yes!  Maybe two actually, since John Pinner has been talking about
> an autumn one at the "Conservatoire" in Birmingham.

Fab. One's as many as I can manage!

> (I must apologize for having been in workaholic-land and am just
> emerging - it was so bad I failed to notice the Morgan Stanley thing
> last week which I'd love to have attended.  I am way behind on
> organising the event this year).

I did a little write up of that here -
<http://www.brunningonline.net/simon/blog/archives/001962.html>.

> The usual ACCU thing is on Wednesday 19 April to Saturday 22 April 2006.
> Guido is flying over to be a keynote for the whole conference. There
> will be a two-day Python only track, and a day of "dynamic languages"
> with talks on Ruby and Javascript.

Sounds good. That's where it's all happening at the moment.

> Things are a bit different this year; it's 'winding down' as they want
> to have "python talks on the programme" rather than a "Python
> conference" from 2007, which IMHO makes sense as Python is now
> 'mature' and part of the landscape.  Also, we all learned that the
> Python world wants a cheaper, bigger event which ACCU cannot offer.
>
> At present I have talk submissions from
>   - Michael Hudson on PyPy
>   - Michael Hudson again on Exception Handling
>   - me on metadata frameworks (common themese across Django/Sqlobject/
>       various graphics frameworks/validation issues)
>   - Andrew Thompson on Python in Finance
>   - Steve Holden (subject to be decided)
>
> Also John Pinner is giving a "convert to Python" tutorial on the
> tutorials day which should be a big draw.
>
> We have 6 90-min slots and the committee would prefer a small number
> of UK speakers, as they are aying to bring Guido on..
>
> I need to get my skates on and firm it up fast.  I'd really love
> to have talks on
> - Django, Turbogears or a comparison.
> - Eggs and setuptools
> If anyone can do these or has another idea, I suggest to post this list
> or email me really quickly.  I emailed Simon Willison but haven't heard
> back.

I'd like to present if possible. Not sure on what, though.

I'll give Simon a shout. I only just talked him out of doing live code
in his half hour slot last week. He's mad keen. He is the most
enthusiastic man on the planet. With 90 minutes to play with, I'm sure
he'd come up with something spectacular.

Simon B,
[hidden email],

Re: Python UK 2006

Andy Robinson-2
Simon Brunning wrote:
> I'll give Simon a shout. I only just talked him out of doing live code
> in his half hour slot last week. He's mad keen. He is the most
> enthusiastic man on the planet. With 90 minutes to play with, I'm sure
> he'd come up with something spectacular.

Thanks, please do ask, and I'll email him again.  He might not have got
my email but let's hunt him down.

- Andy

Re: Python UK 2006

Tony Ibbs
The ACCU conference web pages haven't released the schedule yet, but
since I can't afford (in various ways) to go to the whole thing, I
thought
someone here might know which days are being used for the PythonUK
conference. Or, looking at it another way, when is Guido giving his
keynote?

Tibs

Re: Python UK 2006

Andy Robinson-2
Tony Ibbs wrote:
> The ACCU conference web pages haven't released the schedule yet, but
> since I can't afford (in various ways) to go to the whole thing, I
> thought
> someone here might know which days are being used for the PythonUK
> conference. Or, looking at it another way, when is Guido giving his
> keynote?

Python is Wednesday and Thursday at present.  I guess Guido will be one
of those days two other keynote speakers have been changed around and I
am not 100% sure as of today.

It's my job to write up a separate Python page and I really ought to do
it about now, so consider me 'reminded' ;-)  I'll at least post the
tentative schedule here on this list by tomorrow.

- Andy