Python Workshops for Women and Friends

Pomke Nohkan
http://geekfeminism.org/2011/07/02/lessons-learned-from-the-boston-python-workshop-an-outreach-event-for-women/

^  This is a great write-up about an event that is/has been run a few times over in the US which I think is particularly awesome. I was wondering what interest there would be to run this here in Melbourne; interest from sponsors, people with venues to share, people interested in participating?

Best wishes,

Pomke

--
     _.--.
    .'   ` '   Pomke Nohkan

Re: Python Workshops for Women and Friends

Richard Jones-7
On 11 July 2011 12:43, Pomke Nohkan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://geekfeminism.org/2011/07/02/lessons-learned-from-the-boston-python-workshop-an-outreach-event-for-women/
>
> ^  This is a great write-up about an event that is/has been run a few times
> over in the US which I think is particularly awesome. I was wondering what
> interest there would be to run this here in Melbourne; interest from
> sponsors, people with venues to share, people interested in participating?

FWIW I'd be very happy to donate my time as a presenter / tutor. I
could investigate getting a space at RMIT to host if that'd help. I'm
definitely not able to organise the event though - at least not until
way after PyCon AU :-) [which women interesting in learning Python
should definitely attend!]

     Richard

Re: Python Workshops for Women and Friends

Jocelyn Hunter
Yes!

Most defintately.

Because of the level I am, as in, a beginner with no prior language, whether or not it was aimed at women.

Although an event aimed at women would be cool too.

Regards,

Jocelyn

Re: Python Workshops for Women and Friends

Brianna Laugher
On 11 July 2011 12:43, Pomke Nohkan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://geekfeminism.org/2011/07/02/lessons-learned-from-the-boston-python-workshop-an-outreach-event-for-women/
>
> ^  This is a great write-up about an event that is/has been run a few times
> over in the US which I think is particularly awesome. I was wondering what
> interest there would be to run this here in Melbourne; interest from
> sponsors, people with venues to share, people interested in participating?

I would like to help run such an event too. As Richard said, after
PyCon. :) I would like to associate it with Girl Geek Dinners as well,
if possible.

I always thought it would be hard to find people to participate, but
already we have one (hi Jocelyn :)), so maybe it won't be so hard
after all.

cheers
Brianna

Re: Python Workshops for Women and Friends

rhydwyn beta
I would be happy to help out.

Rhydwyn