Python completion in emacs fails on OSX

Leo-2
It seems the python interpreter built by Apple doesn't behave like the
ones built from upstream.

See this:
http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=10295#19

Any idea what's happened to python from apple?

Leo

Re: Python completion in emacs fails on OSX

Ned Deily
In article <[hidden email]>, Leo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It seems the python interpreter built by Apple doesn't behave like the
> ones built from upstream.
>
> See this:
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=10295#19
>
> Any idea what's happened to python from apple?

Off the top of my head, I suspect the most likely cause to be that the
Apple system pythons are built with the BSD editline library rather than
with GNU readline.  You could try installing the third-party "readline"
package which replaces the Python standard library "readline" module
with one linked with GNU readline.

    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/readline

--
 Ned Deily,

On 2012-04-17 15:56 +0800, Ned Deily wrote:
> Off the top of my head, I suspect the most likely cause to be that the
> Apple system pythons are built with the BSD editline library rather than
> with GNU readline.  You could try installing the third-party "readline"
> package which replaces the Python standard library "readline" module
> with one linked with GNU readline.
>
>     http://pypi.python.org/pypi/readline

I have just tested it and no, it is not due to readline.

Leo

Re: Python completion in emacs fails on OSX

jalopyuser
This is really an Emacs issue, not a Python issue.  I don't even see
where they say they are both using the version of the Python interpreter.

Bill

On 2012-04-17 23:27 +0800, Bill Janssen wrote:
> This is really an Emacs issue, not a Python issue.  I don't even see
> where they say they are both using the version of the Python interpreter.

Unthinkable.

I have built python 2.7.3 from upstream and see no such bug. Something
is done to python apple.

Leo

Re: Python completion in emacs fails on OSX

Leo-2
turns out it is apple's fault:
http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=10295#46

Leo

Re: Python completion in emacs fails on OSX

Ned Deily
In article <[hidden email]>, Leo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> turns out it is apple's fault:
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=10295#46

Well, it's not the fault of Apple's Pythons.  If the problem is the
echo, you can see exactly the same results by using a current python.org
64-/32-bit Python.  Those Pythons, like the Apple-supplied system
Pythons, are linked with BSD editline.  If, instead, you install the
corresponding python.org 32-bit-only Python, the echo remains turned
off.  As I mentioned before, the 32-bit-only Python is linked with GNU
readline.  That's the only difference I can think of that makes sense.
(I see the same results with both OS X 10.6 and 10.7, BTW.)

So, if there is a problem, the likely culprit is libedit, the editline
library.   Another clue: try using another Apple-supplied utility that
is linked with libedit, for example, dscl.  Same thing happens there:
echo is immediately re-enabled.

--
 Ned Deily,

On 2012-04-19 02:04 +0800, Ned Deily wrote:
> So, if there is a problem, the likely culprit is libedit, the editline
> library.   Another clue: try using another Apple-supplied utility that
> is linked with libedit, for example, dscl.  Same thing happens there:
> echo is immediately re-enabled.

Thank you. I can confirm it is libedit the culprit.

Leo