Python for Kids

Richard Dietrich
I saw your email on this matter and wondered if you have made any
progress. have you come across any interesting learning material.

I am trying to set a challenge for my 13 year old boy yo learn Python
and am looking for some useful material. Some thing that would have him
writing small programmes which would give him some sense of achievement
while encouraging him to move on to progressively more challenging
programmes.

My memory of Karel the robot is not a good one... so dull.

Might you have a suggestion for me.

Cheers

Richard

Re: Python for Kids

Mamading Ceesay
On 21/10/05, Richard Dietrich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Might you have a suggestion for me.

Check out the Livewires course and see if it suits:
http://www.livewires.org.uk/python/

Alternatively, there's a new Beginning Python book which has 10
projects to build in the last third of the book:
http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=10013

I have been toying with the idea of getting some funding to develop
and run a Python course for kids with a focus on Game and Multimedia
programming.

--
Mamading Ceesay

"Isn't a state that keeps files on innocent persons a police state?"
-- David Mery - Innocent In London http://gizmonaut.net/bits/suspect.html
 Radio Interview with David Mery
http://radio.indymedia.org/news/2005/09/6963.php

Re: Python for Kids

Tim Diggins (Subs)
Mamading -

the links & your course idea are really interesting - the livewires
course interests me, but I'm interested in adapting it to make it more
appropriate for primary (juniors) age kids (because that's how old my
children are, not because I'm an expert in that field!)

In respect of your idea for  developing a course (I assume for older
children), have you been in touch with either educational research
places (like Institute of Education) and/or Game research places (like
Games Lab at (I think) LMU?

do keep me / the list posted of your developments.

thanks

Tim

Mamading Ceesay wrote:

> On 21/10/05, Richard Dietrich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>Might you have a suggestion for me.
>>

> Check out the Livewires course and see if it suits:
> http://www.livewires.org.uk/python/
>

> I have been toying with the idea of getting some funding to develop
> and run a Python course for kids with a focus on Game and Multimedia
> programming.

Re: Python for Kids

Mamading Ceesay
On 21/10/05, Tim Diggins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In respect of your idea for  developing a course (I assume for older
> children), have you been in touch with either educational research
> places (like Institute of Education) and/or Game research places (like
> Games Lab at (I think) LMU?

Having checked out the IoE site, I'm not at all certain how open they
are to non-academics.  That having been said, their London Knowledge
Lab seems to be on the right track.

Can't find any info on the LMU Games Lab, but one does appear to exist.

One potential option is the Nesta Futurelab, but their next call for
ideas isn't until Spring 2006.

Wonder when the next PSF grants are going to be announced.

--
Mamading Ceesay

"Isn't a state that keeps files on innocent persons a police state?"
-- David Mery - Innocent In London http://gizmonaut.net/bits/suspect.html
 Radio Interview with David Mery
http://radio.indymedia.org/news/2005/09/6963.php

Re: Python for Kids

Mamading Ceesay
On 21/10/05, Tim Diggins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> the links & your course idea are really interesting - the livewires
> course interests me, but I'm interested in adapting it to make it more
> appropriate for primary (juniors) age kids (because that's how old my
> children are, not because I'm an expert in that field!)

If you haven't seen it already, you may want to check out my original
posting on this topic from May:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-uk/2005-May/000699.html