Python for .NET with PythonXY ?

Daniel Mader-2
Dear list,

with a couple of colleagues, I am using PythonXY as the main Python
distribution when using Windows. It is based on Python 2.6 (2.7 is now
in the focus so that the next release will be made for this).

>From what we see it should be possible to make this installation ".NET
aware" without duplicating anything. However, we can't really find the
required steps to do so.

Could you please point out what we'd need to download in order to
proceed? Is there a "clean" installer so that PythonXY can be updated
later? Or does a manual install interfere with this?

Thank you many times in advance for a quick-installation guide,
best regards,

Daniel

Re: Python for .NET with PythonXY ?

dhirschfeld
Daniel Mader <danielstefanmader@...> writes:

> Dear list,
>
> with a couple of colleagues, I am using PythonXY as the main Python
> distribution when using Windows. It is based on Python 2.6 (2.7 is now
> in the focus so that the next release will be made for this).
>
> >From what we see it should be possible to make this installation ".NET
> aware" without duplicating anything. However, we can't really find the
> required steps to do so.
>
> Could you please point out what we'd need to download in order to
> proceed? Is there a "clean" installer so that PythonXY can be updated
> later? Or does a manual install interfere with this?
>
> Thank you many times in advance for a quick-installation guide,
> best regards,
>
> Daniel

To "install" Python.NET all you need to do is copy clr.pyd and
Python.Runtime.dll to your Python (sys.prefix) directory.

Don't know about any binary installers sorry, I've always just downloaded the
source, compiled in VS and copied the files over.

Works fine with PythonXY though as PythonXY doesn't know anything about the
files it can't "uninstall" them (you'd just have to manually delete them) - e.g.

Executing Python(x,y) 2.6.5.6 profile startup script: default.py
  Importing all NumPy functions, modules and classes
  Logging to C:\Users\dhirschfeld\.xy\logs\2011-05-17.py

*** Pasting of code with ">>>" or "..." has been enabled.
Qt: Could not initialize OLE (error 80010106)
Python 2.6.5 (r265:79096, Mar 19 2010, 21:48:26) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]

?         -> Introduction and overview of IPython's features.
%quickref -> Quick reference.
help      -> Python's own help system.
object?   -> Details about 'object'. ?object also works, ?? prints more.

IPython profile: xy

  Welcome to pylab, a matplotlib-based Python environment.
  For more information, type 'help(pylab)'.

In [2]: import clr

In [3]: import System

In [4]: print System.DateTime.Now
17/05/2011 16:49:21

In [5]:

HTH,
Dave

Re: Python for .NET with PythonXY ?

Daniel Mader-2
Dear Dave.

thank you very much for your quick reply, we've done as you
recommended and it works beautifully!

It was especially helpful that you pointed out that the python.exe
itself is NOT necessary!

Best regards,
Daniel + colleagues