Python presentation for Perl audience

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Python presentation for Perl audience

Rajanikanth Jammalamadaka
Hi

I am planning to give a presentation on Python. The audience mostly use and love Perl. Could somebody suggest a good list of topics that I should cover.

Thanks,
Raj
_______________________________________________
Baypiggies mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your subscription options or unsubscribe:
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Python presentation for Perl audience

Abhishek Pratap
I would love to attend. I am trying to make a sincere effort to make a shift. I would like to see how nested data structure could be created in python (a.k.a hashes of hashes/arrays etc  in perl) . May be there is a lot of doc out there. I honestly haven't searched for it as of now. 

-Abhi

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Rajanikanth Jammalamadaka <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

I am planning to give a presentation on Python. The audience mostly use and love Perl. Could somebody suggest a good list of topics that I should cover.

Thanks,
Raj
_______________________________________________
Baypiggies mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your subscription options or unsubscribe:
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies


_______________________________________________
Baypiggies mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your subscription options or unsubscribe:
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Python presentation for Perl audience

Rajanikanth Jammalamadaka
Thanks Abhi. Just to make it clear: I am planning to give the presentation to my team at my company. I will gladly send you the slides if you want. 

Thanks,
Raj

On Sep 20, 2011, at 6:33 PM, Abhishek Pratap <[hidden email]> wrote:

I would love to attend. I am trying to make a sincere effort to make a shift. I would like to see how nested data structure could be created in python (a.k.a hashes of hashes/arrays etc  in perl) . May be there is a lot of doc out there. I honestly haven't searched for it as of now. 

-Abhi

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Rajanikanth Jammalamadaka <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

I am planning to give a presentation on Python. The audience mostly use and love Perl. Could somebody suggest a good list of topics that I should cover.

Thanks,
Raj
_______________________________________________
Baypiggies mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your subscription options or unsubscribe:
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies


_______________________________________________
Baypiggies mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your subscription options or unsubscribe:
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Python presentation for Perl audience

Dirk Bergstrom-4
In reply to this post by Rajanikanth Jammalamadaka
On 09/20/2011 03:30 PM, Rajanikanth Jammalamadaka wrote:
> I am planning to give a presentation on Python. The audience mostly
> use and love Perl. Could somebody suggest a good list of topics that
> I should cover.

Hmmm, did you want useful answers or snarky ones?

Some googling leads to:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/PerlPhrasebook

http://everythingsysadmin.com/perl2python.html

http://markbieda.wordpress.com/2008/06/18/python-for-perl-programmers-and-bioinformatics-people/

Personally I'd tell them repeatedly how useful interactive python (the
REPL) is.  It's a huge time saver when you're trying to figure out how
to get pretty much anything done.  Make sure to tell them about ipython
-- the tab completion is a monumental improvement in utility.

--
Dirk Bergstrom
[hidden email]
http://otisbean.com/
_______________________________________________
Baypiggies mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your subscription options or unsubscribe:
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Python presentation for Perl audience

Tony Cappellini
In reply to this post by Rajanikanth Jammalamadaka
There are so many features in the in the core language alone, like
generators, decorators...
but if you're really short of material- you may want to tell them
about some great python debugging tools.

Wing IDE (debugger/ide)
PyCharm (dumb name, great debugger/ide)
WinAppDbg (debugger module, mostly)




On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Rajanikanth Jammalamadaka
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am planning to give a presentation on Python. The audience mostly use and love Perl. Could somebody suggest a good list of topics that I should cover.
>
> Thanks,
> Raj
> _______________________________________________
> Baypiggies mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To change your subscription options or unsubscribe:
> http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies
>
_______________________________________________
Baypiggies mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your subscription options or unsubscribe:
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Python presentation for Perl audience

Venkatraman S
In reply to this post by Rajanikanth Jammalamadaka
In an interview  that a recently gave(in a pretty big company), the team was using Perl and i told the Manager about the 'awesomeness' of Python, and the response was :'well, its great if you get the indentations right'; my response was 'it is due to the same reason that python is so awesome. since the code looks clean, its easy to read and you do not have to go searching for braces..etc etc'.

So i think, a 'clean-readable' code would be a great selling point along with the 'ease of learning' to your target audience.

-V
http://blizzardzblogs.blogspot.com/

_______________________________________________
Baypiggies mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your subscription options or unsubscribe:
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Python presentation for Perl audience

Dwight Hubbard-3
My past experience talking to people who script in Perl is there is frequently an emotional attachment to their brackets and bringing up the whitespace/vs brackets tends to cause them to tune out the rest of the conversation.   I would leave the brackets/vs whitespace issue out of the conversation, after using python for a few weeks it's pretty self evident to a person that their scripts don't look like a word processor threw up...

I know when I first switched from Perl to Python the things that attracted me was that python had a small and simple syntax and logical and concise way to build upon it in a way that a person could get up to speed quickly (much more quickly than with Perl).  Also I found the python documentation itself a great selling point, there are python modules to do damn near anything and the documentation is very consistent which makes using them fairly simple.

From: Venkatraman S <[hidden email]>
To: BayPiggies <[hidden email]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:47 PM
Subject: Re: [Baypiggies] Python presentation for Perl audience

In an interview  that a recently gave(in a pretty big company), the team was using Perl and i told the Manager about the 'awesomeness' of Python, and the response was :'well, its great if you get the indentations right'; my response was 'it is due to the same reason that python is so awesome. since the code looks clean, its easy to read and you do not have to go searching for braces..etc etc'.

So i think, a 'clean-readable' code would be a great selling point along with the 'ease of learning' to your target audience.

-V
http://blizzardzblogs.blogspot.com/

_______________________________________________
Baypiggies mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your subscription options or unsubscribe:
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies


_______________________________________________
Baypiggies mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your subscription options or unsubscribe:
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Python presentation for Perl audience

Rajanikanth Jammalamadaka
Thanks for your suggestions. 

Thanks,
Raj

On Sep 21, 2011, at 3:50 AM, Dwight Hubbard <[hidden email]> wrote:

My past experience talking to people who script in Perl is there is frequently an emotional attachment to their brackets and bringing up the whitespace/vs brackets tends to cause them to tune out the rest of the conversation.   I would leave the brackets/vs whitespace issue out of the conversation, after using python for a few weeks it's pretty self evident to a person that their scripts don't look like a word processor threw up...

I know when I first switched from Perl to Python the things that attracted me was that python had a small and simple syntax and logical and concise way to build upon it in a way that a person could get up to speed quickly (much more quickly than with Perl).  Also I found the python documentation itself a great selling point, there are python modules to do damn near anything and the documentation is very consistent which makes using them fairly simple.

From: Venkatraman S <[hidden email]>
To: BayPiggies <[hidden email]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:47 PM
Subject: Re: [Baypiggies] Python presentation for Perl audience

In an interview  that a recently gave(in a pretty big company), the team was using Perl and i told the Manager about the 'awesomeness' of Python, and the response was :'well, its great if you get the indentations right'; my response was 'it is due to the same reason that python is so awesome. since the code looks clean, its easy to read and you do not have to go searching for braces..etc etc'.

So i think, a 'clean-readable' code would be a great selling point along with the 'ease of learning' to your target audience.

-V
http://blizzardzblogs.blogspot.com/

_______________________________________________
Baypiggies mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your subscription options or unsubscribe:
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies

_______________________________________________
Baypiggies mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your subscription options or unsubscribe:
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies

_______________________________________________
Baypiggies mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your subscription options or unsubscribe:
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies