Python variables obscur ipdb commands

Kossak
Hi,

Is this a bug that python variables obscur ipdb commands? I can't use "n" nor "next" (they return variable value) when there are variables with the same name in the code being debugged. Details are here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40224066/ipdb-commands-obscured-by-variables

Re: Python variables obscur ipdb commands

Thomas Kluyver-2
On 25 October 2016 at 18:25, Kossak <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is this a bug that python variables obscur ipdb commands? I can't use "n" nor "next" (they return variable value) when there are variables with the same name in the code being debugged. Details are here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40224066/ipdb-commands-obscured-by-variables

It's a feature that was added recently, though I can imagine it may be annoying. Here's the PR that added it:
https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/9449

Feel free to open an issue asking that it be removed again. I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other, as I don't use the debugger much.

Thomas

Re: Python variables obscur ipdb commands

Hans Fangohr
I have run into exactly the same problem. It is a difficult call what is better but it is upsetting when 'n' is not moving onto the next statement but prints a value.

I'd support deactivating this convenience feature. Or maybe it should not work for variable names that shadow debugger commands? Maybe that is an inoffensive compromise?

Best wishes

Hans

Sent from smartphone

On 25 Oct 2016, at 21:20, Thomas Kluyver <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

On 25 October 2016 at 18:25, Kossak <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
Is this a bug that python variables obscur ipdb commands? I can't use "n" nor "next" (they return variable value) when there are variables with the same name in the code being debugged. Details are here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40224066/ipdb-commands-obscured-by-variables

It's a feature that was added recently, though I can imagine it may be annoying. Here's the PR that added it:
https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/9449

Feel free to open an issue asking that it be removed again. I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other, as I don't use the debugger much.

Thomas

Re: Python variables obscur ipdb commands

Kossak
I created issue here: https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/10037
I also think it would be best if ipdb commands were working reliably all the time. (in all other cases, when python variable is not ipdb command at the same time, we should be able to display it without '!')