Q2: py.net problems w/python 2.6.2

Hamilton Link
Could anyone conveniently try python.net with python 2.6.2?  I am seeing
two fatal problems in my lightly-patched python.net.

I'm using ubuntu 9.04
python 2.6.2
python.net 2.0 alpha2 with Borzenkov's suggested PYTHON25 -> PYTHON26
changes and Feihong Hsu's changes
mono 2.0.1 (this is the what mono --version says, which I think is
packaged as distribution 1.9.something?)

For all of this I'm using the python.exe that gets built alongside
python.net, because ubuntu's python environments are irritatingly built
with --disable-shared

Here are the problems:

If I try the following:
 >>> import clr
 >>> import System
 >>> STR = System.String('hithere')

I get a fatal error "GCHandle value belongs to a different domain"...
this is being thrown by the coercion of an IntPtr to a GCHandle, from
within the coercion operation in ManagedType.GetManagedObject.

If however I try the following:
 >>> import clr
 >>> from System.Drawing import Point
 >>> p = Point(5,5)

then I can
5
5
 >>> p.ToString()
u'{X=5,Y=5}'
 >>> dir(p)
['Add', 'Ceiling', ..., '__class__', ...]

No problem, right? Wrong:
 >>> p.__class__
dies in the most awful way, dumping all thread stacks and killing mono
and python.  I get a message saying "Got a SIGSEGV while executing
native code.  etc."

If anyone has any clues about this, I'd love to hear them.  My current
plan is to install python 2.5.x as an alternate python, rebuild against
that, and see if that works, and then perhaps dig into this further.  I
might also try 2.6.4 since someone on the list recently asserted they
had it working with that.

thanks,
hamilton

Re: Q2: py.net problems w/python 2.6.2

Mark Tigges
I might be able to find time to test on windows tomorrow.  Remind me
if you haven't heard.

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Hamilton Link <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Could anyone conveniently try python.net with python 2.6.2?  I am seeing two
> fatal problems in my lightly-patched python.net.
>
> I'm using ubuntu 9.04
> python 2.6.2
> python.net 2.0 alpha2 with Borzenkov's suggested PYTHON25 -> PYTHON26
> changes and Feihong Hsu's changes
> mono 2.0.1 (this is the what mono --version says, which I think is packaged
> as distribution 1.9.something?)
>
> For all of this I'm using the python.exe that gets built alongside
> python.net, because ubuntu's python environments are irritatingly built with
> --disable-shared
>
> Here are the problems:
>
> If I try the following:
>
> I get a fatal error "GCHandle value belongs to a different domain"... this
> is being thrown by the coercion of an IntPtr to a GCHandle, from within the
> coercion operation in ManagedType.GetManagedObject.
>
> If however I try the following:
>
> then I can
> 5
> 5
> u'{X=5,Y=5}'
> ['Add', 'Ceiling', ..., '__class__', ...]
>
> No problem, right? Wrong:
> dies in the most awful way, dumping all thread stacks and killing mono and
> python.  I get a message saying "Got a SIGSEGV while executing native code.
>  etc."
>
> If anyone has any clues about this, I'd love to hear them.  My current plan
> is to install python 2.5.x as an alternate python, rebuild against that, and
> see if that works, and then perhaps dig into this further.  I might also try
> 2.6.4 since someone on the list recently asserted they had it working with
> that.
>
> thanks,
> hamilton

Re: Q2: py.net problems w/python 2.6.2

Nicolas Lelong-2

Le 26/01/2010 00:39, Hamilton Link a écrit :
> Could anyone conveniently try python.net with python 2.6.2?  I am
> seeing two fatal problems in my lightly-patched python.net.

I'm currently running Python.NET in Python 2.6.2 on Windows for a few
weeks. I tried your sample code, and everything works fine. I'm not
using Mono though, but regular Microsoft .NET.

I had a few issues at the beginning, as my (patched) version of
Python.NET was not up to date with the Python.NET trunk. My vendor
branch tells me I updated from Python.NET rev.98 to rev.101 and my
problems went away (for now).

HTH,
Nicolas.