QScintilla problem take 2 - style sheets

QScintilla problem take 2 - style sheets

Barry Scott
I have changed my code to use the high level setFont() call and found that worked in some cases.
But If I set styles on QApplication then QScintilla  does no use the family from setFont, only the point size.
I use setStyleSheet() to customise the UI font use in the larger app.

The attached code shows this issue - it was tested on macOS and I think uses fonts that are always
installed on macOS to show the problem. However this issue is also present on windows builds.

This looks like a regression going from PyQT 5.12 to PyQt 5.13. Or is it a deliberate change?

I tested with 2 venv's setup like this:

#!/bin/bash
echo "Info: setup PyQt 5.13 with QSci"
python3.7 -m venv create qsci-5-13
qsci-5-13/bin/pip install PyQt5 QScintilla xml-preferences

echo "Info: setup PyQt 5.12 with QSci"
python3.7 -m venv create qsci-5-12
qsci-5-12/bin/pip install PyQt5==5.12.2 QScintilla==2.11.1 xml-preferences

Then run the attached code against each venv with and without the --style option.

The follow 3 runs show identical windows contents.

        qsci-5-12/bin/python qsci_bug.py
        qsci-5-12/bin/python qsci_bug.py --style
        qsci-5-13/bin/python qsci_bug.py

But this run does not use the intended font.

        qsci-5-13/bin/python qsci_bug.py --style

Text is draw with different fonts.

Barry

Re: QScintilla problem take 2 - style sheets

Barry Scott
Phil,

Are you able to comment on this problem?

Is there something more I need to change in my code or is this a problem in the QScintilla code?

Barry

> On 25 Aug 2019, at 17:29, Barry Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have changed my code to use the high level setFont() call and found that worked in some cases.
> But If I set styles on QApplication then QScintilla  does no use the family from setFont, only the point size.
> I use setStyleSheet() to customise the UI font use in the larger app.
>
> The attached code shows this issue - it was tested on macOS and I think uses fonts that are always
> installed on macOS to show the problem. However this issue is also present on windows builds.
>
> This looks like a regression going from PyQT 5.12 to PyQt 5.13. Or is it a deliberate change?
>
> I tested with 2 venv's setup like this:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> echo "Info: setup PyQt 5.13 with QSci"
> python3.7 -m venv create qsci-5-13
> qsci-5-13/bin/pip install PyQt5 QScintilla xml-preferences
>
> echo "Info: setup PyQt 5.12 with QSci"
> python3.7 -m venv create qsci-5-12
> qsci-5-12/bin/pip install PyQt5==5.12.2 QScintilla==2.11.1 xml-preferences
>
> Then run the attached code against each venv with and without the --style option.
>
> The follow 3 runs show identical windows contents.
>
> qsci-5-12/bin/python qsci_bug.py
> qsci-5-12/bin/python qsci_bug.py --style
> qsci-5-13/bin/python qsci_bug.py
>
> But this run does not use the intended font.
>
> qsci-5-13/bin/python qsci_bug.py --style
>
> Text is draw with different fonts.
>
> Barry

Re: QScintilla problem take 2 - style sheets

Phil Thompson-5
On 02/09/2019 16:14, Barry Scott wrote:
> Phil,
>
> Are you able to comment on this problem?
>
> Is there something more I need to change in my code or is this a
> problem in the QScintilla code?

Regressions are usually Qt bugs so you need to demonstrate that the
problem is with either PyQt or QScintilla (and which versions).

Phil

>> On 25 Aug 2019, at 17:29, Barry Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have changed my code to use the high level setFont() call and found
>> that worked in some cases.
>> But If I set styles on QApplication then QScintilla  does no use the
>> family from setFont, only the point size.
>> I use setStyleSheet() to customise the UI font use in the larger app.
>>
>> The attached code shows this issue - it was tested on macOS and I
>> think uses fonts that are always
>> installed on macOS to show the problem. However this issue is also
>> present on windows builds.
>>
>> This looks like a regression going from PyQT 5.12 to PyQt 5.13. Or is
>> it a deliberate change?
>>
>> I tested with 2 venv's setup like this:
>>
>> #!/bin/bash
>> echo "Info: setup PyQt 5.13 with QSci"
>> python3.7 -m venv create qsci-5-13
>> qsci-5-13/bin/pip install PyQt5 QScintilla xml-preferences
>>
>> echo "Info: setup PyQt 5.12 with QSci"
>> python3.7 -m venv create qsci-5-12
>> qsci-5-12/bin/pip install PyQt5==5.12.2 QScintilla==2.11.1
>> xml-preferences
>>
>> Then run the attached code against each venv with and without the
>> --style option.
>>
>> The follow 3 runs show identical windows contents.
>>
>> qsci-5-12/bin/python qsci_bug.py
>> qsci-5-12/bin/python qsci_bug.py --style
>> qsci-5-13/bin/python qsci_bug.py
>>
>> But this run does not use the intended font.
>>
>> qsci-5-13/bin/python qsci_bug.py --style
>>
>> Text is draw with different fonts.
>>
>> Barry

Re: QScintilla problem take 2 - style sheets

Barry Scott

> On 2 Sep 2019, at 21:36, Phil Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 02/09/2019 16:14, Barry Scott wrote:
>> Phil,
>> Are you able to comment on this problem?
>> Is there something more I need to change in my code or is this a
>> problem in the QScintilla code?
>
> Regressions are usually Qt bugs so you need to demonstrate that the problem is with either PyQt or QScintilla (and which versions).

I listed the bersion of good and bad pypi packages.
But I think you are asking that I write C++ code to show if the bug is
In PyQt world of scintilla/Qt world?

Barry

On 02/09/2019 21:52, Barry wrote:

>> On 2 Sep 2019, at 21:36, Phil Thompson <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On 02/09/2019 16:14, Barry Scott wrote:
>>> Phil,
>>> Are you able to comment on this problem?
>>> Is there something more I need to change in my code or is this a
>>> problem in the QScintilla code?
>>
>> Regressions are usually Qt bugs so you need to demonstrate that the
>> problem is with either PyQt or QScintilla (and which versions).
>
> I listed the bersion of good and bad pypi packages.
> But I think you are asking that I write C++ code to show if the bug is
> In PyQt world of scintilla/Qt world?

Build different versions of PyQt against different versions of Qt.

Phil