Question About Image Processing in Python

Question About Image Processing in Python

Serge Christian Ibala
Hello All,

I want to know which version of Python is compatible (or can be associated
with which version of which "tools or package" for image processing)

I am working under Window and it is so complicated to find out which
version of which tool goes with which other version?

I want to use the following package

?numpy, matplotib, mahotas, ipython   OpenCV and SciPy"

Let say I use

Python 2.7 or Python 2.10 which version of the following tools

?numpy, matplotib, mahotas, ipython, OpenCV and SciPy?

should I use? and where can I find them?

Are there any package available for image processing using Python 3.4.3?

Or what is the recommendation of Python for image processing?

Do you know any good Python book on the subject or tutorial ?

Thank you enormously,

Christian
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Question About Image Processing in Python

Terry Reedy
On 5/28/2015 6:34 AM, Serge Christian Ibala wrote:

> I want to know which version of Python is compatible (or can be
> associated with which version of which "tools or package" for image
> processing)

pillow is a one standard for image processing but I see that mahotas
does different things. pillow is both 2.x and 3.x.

> I am working under Window and it is so complicated to find out which
> version of which tool goes with which other version?

The magic site for Windows binaries is
http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/
Now pip installable with an extra arg if not automatic.

> I want to use the following package
>
> ?numpy, matplotib, mahotas, ipython   OpenCV and SciPy"

opencv seems to be the only one not available for 3.x.

> Python 2.7 or Python 2.10 which version of the following tools

no 2.10, just 2.7.10, which is what you should install.

> ?numpy, matplotib, mahotas, ipython, OpenCV and SciPy?

just try pip install xyz and let it pick but see above if necessary for
Windows binaries.

--
Terry Jan Reedy

Question About Image Processing in Python

Oscar Benjamin-2
On 28 May 2015 at 11:34, Serge Christian Ibala
<christian.ibala at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I want to know which version of Python is compatible (or can be associated
> with which version of which "tools or package" for image processing)
>
> I am working under Window and it is so complicated to find out which version
> of which tool goes with which other version?
>
> I want to use the following package
>
> ?numpy, matplotib, mahotas, ipython   OpenCV and SciPy"

I would just install the most recent released versions unless I saw
some information that suggested a problem with that.

You may want to consider installing something like the Anaconda Python
distribution which includes most of these packages (all except
mahotas) with a single installer:
http://docs.continuum.io/anaconda/install.html

You can see the list of packages included here:
http://docs.continuum.io/anaconda/pkg-docs.html

It will also install the mingw compiler that you could use to install
mahotas using pip/conda.

--
Oscar

Question About Image Processing in Python

Todd-2
On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 1:05 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> On 5/28/2015 6:34 AM, Serge Christian Ibala wrote:
>

>  I want to use the following package
>>
>> ?numpy, matplotib, mahotas, ipython   OpenCV and SciPy"
>>

> opencv seems to be the only one not available for 3.x.

OpenCV 3 (which is in RC1 now) supports Python 3.x.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Question About Image Processing in Python

Sturla Molden
Serge Christian Ibala <christian.ibala at gmail.com> wrote:

> Or what is the recommendation of Python for image processing?

Basic setup everyone should have:

Python
NumPy
SciPy (e.g. scipy.ndimage)
Cython
C and C++ compiler
matplotlib
scikit-image
scikit-learn
pillow

Also consider:
mahotas
tifffile (by Christoph Gohlke)
OpenCV
PyOpenGL
VTK
mayavi
pyglet
PyGame
PyQt

Abandonware:
PIL

Question About Image Processing in Python

Alan Gauld
On 28/05/15 11:34, Serge Christian Ibala wrote:

> I want to know which version of Python is compatible (or can be
> associated with which version of which "tools or package" for image
> processing)

It would help if you told us what kind of image processing.
If you mean programmatic manipulation of images similar
to what would be done using GIMP/Photoshop then the most
common tools are ImageMagick and Pillow. But you mention
neither, so I'm guessing you are looking at doing
something else - maybe trying to analyze content?

Given the list of tools you list I'd suggest fetching
an all-in-one distro like Anaconda or Canopy. That
way somebody else does the dependency dance for you.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site