Question about clientId

Andrew Francis
Hi Colleagues:

I am fairly new to PyAMF and Flash. I am writing a
PyAMF proxy. More specifically, I am using the
TwistedGateway.

I wish to uniquely identify each Flash client (i.e , a
player, a test programme) that connects to the server.
I can get the IP address but that is not a unique
identifier.

Looking at the Adobe Flash Media server documentation
and RTMP, there is mention of a clientId. I am
assuming that the same clientId is used throughout a
"session." Is this correct?

I have a way of exposing the request in the
TwistedGateway. And I notice that clientId is defined
in AbstractMessage. I am looking at the code but it is
not clear to me if I have the request how do I get the
clientId? I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has
insights.

Thanks,
Andrew

Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.  http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping

Re: Question about clientId

Nick Joyce
Hi Andrew,

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 07:35 -0800, Andrew Francis wrote:
Hi Colleagues:

I am fairly new to PyAMF and Flash. I am writing a
PyAMF proxy. More specifically, I am using the
TwistedGateway.
A much improved version of TwistedGateway is now in the trunk, I would suggest that you use that if you are not already. Since r893.

I wish to uniquely identify each Flash client (i.e , a
player, a test programme) that connects to the server.
I can get the IP address but that is not a unique
identifier.

Looking at the Adobe Flash Media server documentation
and RTMP, there is mention of a clientId. I am
assuming that the same clientId is used throughout a
"session." Is this correct?
In a gateway context, clientId is specific to the AMF3 RemoteObject specification which is supported only by Flash Player 9.

I have a way of exposing the request in the
TwistedGateway.
You're using expose_request = True right? Available since r871.
And I notice that clientId is defined
in AbstractMessage. I am looking at the code but it is
not clear to me if I have the request how do I get the
clientId? I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has
insights.
The clientId that you speak of is not a required value for a RemoteObject call (only passed back in the response if its set). Since this is all based in HTTP, you would get more mileage if you used cookies to identify the client. Afaik the flash player supports cookies, certainly session cookies.

Thanks,
Andrew

Hth,

Nick

Re: Question about clientId

Andrew Francis
Hi Nick:

Thanks for the information! By the way, I have not
grabbed the latest release. I will though.

Cheers,
Andrew