Question concerning to detection of locale direction

Question concerning to detection of locale direction

Genghis Khan
Hello,

How is it possible to detect alignment of currently in-use gtk20.mo
without directly probing gtk20.mo with msgunfmt for "default:RTL"?

I have seen the following but I am not sure if it is applied to PyGTK,
and I am also not sure it is relevant.
https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/3.4/GtkEntry.html#gtk-entry-get-alignment

Regards,
--GK.

--
Proper English www.reddit.com/r/proper
4 teh lulz... http://email.is-not-s.ms

Re: Question concerning to detection of locale direction

Timo List
Op 15-04-13 10:38, Genghis Khan schreef:
> Hello,
>
> How is it possible to detect alignment of currently in-use gtk20.mo
> without directly probing gtk20.mo with msgunfmt for "default:RTL"?
>
> I have seen the following but I am not sure if it is applied to PyGTK,
> and I am also not sure it is relevant.
> https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/3.4/GtkEntry.html#gtk-entry-get-alignment

I'm not really sure what you're asking, but I'm guessing you're
searching for the default text direction, right? If not, specify your
question.

This should do it:

 >>> from gi.repository import Gtk
 >>> Gtk.Widget.get_default_direction() == Gtk.TextDirection.LTR
True
 >>> Gtk.Widget.set_default_direction(Gtk.TextDirection.RTL)
 >>> button = Gtk.Button("Just for testing")
 >>> button.get_direction() == Gtk.TextDirection.RTL
True

Timo

> Regards,
> --GK.

Re: Question concerning to detection of locale direction

Genghis Khan
Thank you, Timo, for your respond.

I need to know the direction of the GUI widget.

In this issue, what I am attempting to solve is false direction of
status messages in chat dialog of Gajim (Jabber/XMPP IM Client).

Problem:
Assume you are using a Left-to-right locale (e.g. English, German).
If a status message is of a user with a Right-to-left nickname (e.g.
Arabic) then the status message will be aligned from right direction
instead of left.

Realization string: %s has joined the group chat

LTR nick:
Timo has joined the group chat

RTL nick (look to the right >>):
العربية has joined the group chat

RTL nick + direction_mark (LRM):
‎العربية has joined the group chat

Solution:
* Detect direction/alignment of currently used locale.
* Insert a direction_mark (in accord to locale) before status message.

Relevant file:
https://trac.gajim.org/browser/src/conversation_textview.py?rev=14416

Recent change:
https://trac.gajim.org/changeset/001d4e759427

realization.png (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Question concerning to detection of locale direction

Genghis Khan
As far as I understand, this code is for GTK3.

Can you provide inputs that are of GTK2?

Request is: Recognize direction of currently used GUI. (RTL or LTR)

Op 26-06-13 22:15, Genghis Khan schreef:
> As far as I understand, this code is for GTK3.
>
> Can you provide inputs that are of GTK2?
The documentation is your friend in programming!
https://developer.gnome.org/pygtk/stable/class-gtkwidget.html#function-gtk--widget-get-default-direction

 >>> gtk.widget_get_default_direction() == gtk.TEXT_DIR_LTR
True

Timo