[RELEASE] Python 3.8.0b2 is now available for testing

[RELEASE] Python 3.8.0b2 is now available for testing

Łukasz Langa-2
After a few days of delay, but somewhat cutely timed with the US Independence Day, I present you Python 3.8.0b2:

https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-380b2/ <https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-380b2/>

This release is the second of four planned beta release previews. Beta release previews are intended to give the wider community the opportunity to test new features and bug fixes and to prepare their projects to support the new feature release. The next pre-release of Python 3.8 will be 3.8.0b3, currently scheduled for 2019-07-29.

Call to action

We strongly encourage maintainers of third-party Python projects to test with 3.8 during the beta phase and report issues found to the Python bug tracker <https://bugs.python.org/> as soon as possible. While the release is planned to be feature complete entering the beta phase, it is possible that features may be modified or, in rare cases, deleted up until the start of the release candidate phase (2019-09-30). Our goal is have no ABI changes after beta 3 and no code changes after 3.8.0rc1, the release candidate. To achieve that, it will be extremely important to get as much exposure for 3.8 as possible during the beta phase.

Please keep in mind that this is a preview release and its use is not recommended for production environments.

No more non-bugfixes allowed on the “3.8” branch

The time has come, team. Please help make Python 3.8 as stable as possible and keep all features not currently landed for Python 3.9. Don’t fret, it’ll come faster than you think.

- Ł

        Support the Python Software Foundation:
        http://www.python.org/psf/donations/

Re: [RELEASE] Python 3.8.0b2 is now available for testing

Barry Warsaw
I’ve updated the official images to include 3.8.0b2:

https://gitlab.com/python-devs/ci-images/tree/master

Cheers,
-Barry