[RELEASED] Python 3.5.0b2 is now available

[RELEASED] Python 3.5.0b2 is now available

Larry Hastings

On behalf of the Python development community and the Python 3.5 release
team, I'm relieved to announce the availability of Python 3.5.0b2.
Python 3.5.0b1 had a major regression (see
http://bugs.python.org/issue24285 for more information) and as such was
not suitable for testing Python 3.5. Therefore we've made this extra
beta release, only a week later.  Anyone trying Python 3.5.0b1 should
switch immediately to testing with Python 3.5.0b2.

Python 3.5 has now entered "feature freeze".  By default new features
may no longer be added to Python 3.5.  (However, there are a handful of
features that weren't quite ready for Python 3.5.0 beta 2; these were
granted exceptions to the freeze, and are scheduled to be added before
beta 3.)

This is a preview release, and its use is not recommended for production
settings.

Three important notes for Windows users about Python 3.5.0b2:

  * If installing Python 3.5.0b2 as a non-privileged user, you may need
    to escalate to administrator privileges to install an update to your
    C runtime libraries.
  * There is now a third type of Windows build for Python 3.5.  In
    addition to the conventional installer and the web-based installer,
    Python 3.5 now has an embeddable release designed to be deployed as
    part of a larger application's installer for apps using or extending
    Python.  During the 3.5 alpha releases, this was an executable
    installer; as of 3.5.0 beta 1 the embeddable build of Python is now
    shipped in a zip file.

You can find Python 3.5.0b2 here:

    https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-350b2/

Happy hacking,

//arry/
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

[RELEASED] Python 3.5.0b2 is now available

MRAB-2
On 2015-06-01 05:37, Larry Hastings wrote:

> On behalf of the Python development community and the Python 3.5 release
> team, I'm relieved to announce the availability of Python 3.5.0b2.
> Python 3.5.0b1 had a major regression (see
> http://bugs.python.org/issue24285 for more information) and as such was
> not suitable for testing Python 3.5. Therefore we've made this extra
> beta release, only a week later.  Anyone trying Python 3.5.0b1 should
> switch immediately to testing with Python 3.5.0b2.
>
> Python 3.5 has now entered "feature freeze".  By default new features
> may no longer be added to Python 3.5.  (However, there are a handful of
> features that weren't quite ready for Python 3.5.0 beta 2; these were
> granted exceptions to the freeze, and are scheduled to be added before
> beta 3.)
>
> This is a preview release, and its use is not recommended for production
> settings.
>
> Three important notes for Windows users about Python 3.5.0b2:
>
>   * If installing Python 3.5.0b2 as a non-privileged user, you may need
>     to escalate to administrator privileges to install an update to your
>     C runtime libraries.
>   * There is now a third type of Windows build for Python 3.5.  In
>     addition to the conventional installer and the web-based installer,
>     Python 3.5 now has an embeddable release designed to be deployed as
>     part of a larger application's installer for apps using or extending
>     Python.  During the 3.5 alpha releases, this was an executable
>     installer; as of 3.5.0 beta 1 the embeddable build of Python is now
>     shipped in a zip file.
>

> You can find Python 3.5.0b2 here:
>
>     https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-350b2/
>
> Happy hacking,
>

> //arry/

I've just run "Windows x86 executable installer" and "Windows x86-64
executable installer".

While installing, the progress messages overwrote each other without
clearing the background each time.

[RELEASED] Python 3.5.0b2 is now available

Terry Reedy
On 6/1/2015 7:48 AM, MRAB wrote:

> I've just run "Windows x86 executable installer" and "Windows x86-64
> executable installer".
>
> While installing, the progress messages overwrote each other without
> clearing the background each time.

I saw something like that too.  Can you open a tracker issue with
steve.dower nosy?

--
Terry Jan Reedy

[RELEASED] Python 3.5.0b2 is now available

Zachary Ware-2
On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 3:57 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> On 6/1/2015 7:48 AM, MRAB wrote:
>
>> I've just run "Windows x86 executable installer" and "Windows x86-64
>> executable installer".
>>
>> While installing, the progress messages overwrote each other without
>> clearing the background each time.
>

> I saw something like that too.  Can you open a tracker issue with
> steve.dower nosy?

There is already at least one open issue (though I don't have the number handy).

Zach

On 2015-06-01 21:57, Terry Reedy wrote:

> On 6/1/2015 7:48 AM, MRAB wrote:
>
>> I've just run "Windows x86 executable installer" and "Windows x86-64
>> executable installer".
>>
>> While installing, the progress messages overwrote each other without
>> clearing the background each time.
>
> I saw something like that too.  Can you open a tracker issue with
> steve.dower nosy?

Already reported as issue 24344.

[RELEASED] Python 3.5.0b2 is now available

Joonas Liik
Perhaps its just me, but it seems to me that this release is mighty picky
about annotations.

More specifically everything is fine in the interactive interpreter but the
same code won't fly when run as a file.

example:
def some_function(my_arg:"my random annotation")->"my random return type
annotation":
    pass

..will fail with a syntax error when run from a file.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

[RELEASED] Python 3.5.0b2 is now available

Steven D'Aprano-8
On Sat, 6 Jun 2015 07:24 pm, Joonas Liik wrote:

> Perhaps its just me, but it seems to me that this release is mighty picky
> about annotations.
>
> More specifically everything is fine in the interactive interpreter but
> the same code won't fly when run as a file.
>
> example:
> def some_function(my_arg:"my random annotation")->"my random return type
> annotation":
>     pass
>
> ..will fail with a syntax error when run from a file.

Three likely possibilities, and one unlikely one:

(1) When you are running from a file, you are accidentally using the wrong
Python interpreter and trying to use Python 2 by mistake.

(2) When you are running from a file, you have invisible control characters
in the file, or the encoding is not set correctly, and are getting a
SyntaxError due to the control characters, nothing to do with annotations.

(3) There is some other syntax error in your file.

And the unlikely one:

(4) There's a bug in the interpreter.

If you would care to inspect the syntax error, you will see that when Python
finds a syntax error, it points at the offending token, or just after it,
using a ^ caret. That may give you some hint as to what the issue is.

--
Steven

On 6/6/2015 5:24 AM, Joonas Liik wrote:

> Perhaps its just me, but it seems to me that this release is mighty
> picky about annotations.
>
> More specifically everything is fine in the interactive interpreter but
> the same code won't fly when run as a file.
>
> example:
> def some_function(my_arg:"my random annotation")->"my random return type
> annotation":
>      pass
>
> ..will fail with a syntax error when run from a file.

On Win7, 3.5b2, this runs fine both from Idle editor and command line.
Following on Steven's post, add
import sys; print(sys.version)
to top of file, as I did.

--