REMINDER: BayPIGgies: October 13, 7:30pm (IronPort)

REMINDER: BayPIGgies: October 13, 7:30pm (IronPort)

Aahz
The next meeting of BayPIGgies will be Thurs, October 13 at 7:30pm at
IronPort.

Tim Thompson will describe and demonstrate the interaction between
Burning Man and Python using two applications, Radio Free Quasar and
Ergo.

BayPIGgies meetings alternate between IronPort (San Bruno, California)
and Google (Mountain View, California).  For more information and
directions, see http://www.baypiggies.net/

Before the meeting, we sometimes meet at 6pm for dinner.  Discussion of
dinner plans is handled on the BayPIGgies mailing list.

Advance notice:  We've got some options on the plate for November 10 but
haven't settled anything yet.  Please send e-mail to
[hidden email] if you want to suggest an agenda (or volunteer
to give a presentation).  The meeting agenda for December 8 has been set.
--
Aahz ([hidden email])           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

until you hire an amateur."  --Red Adair

Re: REMINDER: BayPIGgies: October 13, 7:30pm (IronPort)

Guido van Rossum
On 10/11/05, Aahz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The next meeting of BayPIGgies will be Thurs, October 13 at 7:30pm at
> IronPort.
[...]
> Before the meeting, we sometimes meet at 6pm for dinner.  Discussion of
> dinner plans is handled on the BayPIGgies mailing list.

I'd like to participate in the dinner this time. Is anyone coordinating?

Re: REMINDER: BayPIGgies: October 13, 7:30pm (IronPort)

Rick Kwan
Hello folks,

This is really a query about Matplotlib, but I'd better introduce myself first.

I've been doing light Python dabbling over the past three years, but
shifted into high gear a little less than a year ago.  Most of my
recent activity has been in customized CGI providing filtering and
displaying tabular results from MySQL, and a bit of interface to SVN.
I've also managed to introduce Matplotlib
(http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net), which gives us really great plots
from some of the tables.  I am the only Python hacker on a small team
that otherwise does Perl.

Out of curiousity, are they any experienced Matplotlib users around
here? I'm sure there's a bunch at Lawrence Livermore, since they are
heavily into Numerical Python, but in wonder if there are folks in the
Palo Alto thru Milpitas (perhaps Fremont) part of the bay area.

It would be interesting to hear from people that previously used
Matlab and switched to Matplotlib.  I'm investigating the possibility
of doing a little show-n-tell if I can find the right people to
address the subject.  This would probably be sponsored by the local
section of a technical society I am involved with.
(http://www.aiaa-sf.org)  But I wouldn't mind doing this jointly with
baypiggies.  (I just don't know how many hard core scientists,
mathematicians, and engineers are on this list.)

--Rick Kwan
  [hidden email] ([hidden email], [hidden email])

Re: REMINDER: BayPIGgies: October 13, 7:30pm (IronPort)

Stephen McInerney
Rick,

No but I'm very curious. (Chad Netzer and Dennis Reinhardt probably too)
I programmed a lot of MatLab visualization for my MSEE in 1999-2001.
This was before I discovered Python. Never heard of Matplotlib.
Also used gnuplot and the freeware MatLab clone Octave.

I'm interested in scientific visualization like
VPython, Enthought Python, VTK, SciPy, Scientific Python, MayaVi.
(see http://code.enthought.com/enthon/enthon.htm )
I had suggested the atmospheric (NOSC) library stuff might make
a good topic, especially given the times.
A lot of people out there have put skimpy Python wrappers on old C++
or Fortan suites, not sure if that counts.
VPython is a very neat prototyping tool with a short learn curve btw.
VTK is obviously much more powerful but the learn curve and very
complex class hierarchy puts me off.

(Unfortunately my (chip design) day job doesn't let me tinker with this
stuff.
So I haven't written much code at all.)

Stephen

>From: Rick Kwan <[hidden email]>
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: Re: [Baypiggies] REMINDER: BayPIGgies: October 13, 7:30pm
>(IronPort)
>Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 08:48:54 -0700
>
>Hello folks,
>
>This is really a query about Matplotlib, but I'd better introduce myself
>first.
>
>I've been doing light Python dabbling over the past three years, but
>shifted into high gear a little less than a year ago.  Most of my
>recent activity has been in customized CGI providing filtering and
>displaying tabular results from MySQL, and a bit of interface to SVN.
>I've also managed to introduce Matplotlib
>(http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net), which gives us really great plots
>from some of the tables.  I am the only Python hacker on a small team
>that otherwise does Perl.
>
>Out of curiousity, are they any experienced Matplotlib users around
>here? I'm sure there's a bunch at Lawrence Livermore, since they are
>heavily into Numerical Python, but in wonder if there are folks in the
>Palo Alto thru Milpitas (perhaps Fremont) part of the bay area.
>
>It would be interesting to hear from people that previously used
>Matlab and switched to Matplotlib.  I'm investigating the possibility
>of doing a little show-n-tell if I can find the right people to
>address the subject.  This would probably be sponsored by the local
>section of a technical society I am involved with.
>(http://www.aiaa-sf.org)  But I wouldn't mind doing this jointly with
>baypiggies.  (I just don't know how many hard core scientists,
>mathematicians, and engineers are on this list.)
>
>--Rick Kwan
>   [hidden email] ([hidden email], [hidden email])

Matplotlib

Dennis Reinhardt
At 01:58 PM 10/11/2005, you wrote:
>Rick,
>
>No but I'm very curious. (Chad Netzer and Dennis Reinhardt probably too)

Rick,

I am currently developing a network data mapping tool as an offshoot of an
existing project.  See http://www.spamai.com/net_monit.php for existing
project screenshot.

This existing chart is *very* basic.  Each day and time of day intersection
is a single letter that is text for severity.  I expect I will end up
plotting values but would like to experiment with the usability of plotting
several variables in the same chart.

This is not scientific computing (data recording is more like it).  But I
do think there is a visualization challenge here. In looking over the
matplotlib examples, the closest to what I have in mind is the eeg plot at
the bottom of

         http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html.

Yes, I have an interest in the matplotlib work.

Regards, Dennis