Quantcast

Raspberry Pi?

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Raspberry Pi?

kirby urner-4

Lots of buzz on PSF list about Python and Raspberry Pi.

I know from independent sources that Python has attracted
considerable attention in the UK education community.  Also, 
the BBC Micro also came out around this time and our 
PSF chairman is in the UK to help celebrate its anniversary 
(50th? -- getting there).  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Micro

In having a public charter, unlike private advertiser based 
broadcasters such as Fox, the BBC is rather different from 
any USA channels, including PBS.  Its forays into public 
policy and initiatives, such as the Computer Literacy Project
of the 1980s, out of which the BBC Micro was born, is not
mirrored in the USA.

Raspberry Pi doesn't currently run Python but there is 
some thought that it should.

I haven't researched the GNU / Stallman take yet, though I
know he's unhappy about the sell-out of Linux distros to 
closed source video drivers, which appear as proprietary 
blobs (already compiled binaries) with no source.  The 
Raspberry Pi uses secret code to drive its GPU so is 
not technically a purely FLOSS project (as of today 
anyway).

Debian has a long history of working with not-free annexes
so this will feel like home to most Debian developers.

I'm glad the BBC has a mandate to serve the public in 
the UK with interesting and innovative gadgets.  That's the
kind of R&D we like to see, including with closed source 
components (I have access to closed source games 
galore).  Even if the UK versions seem obsolete more 
quickly, because leading edge (like the XO), the follow-on
products have the BBC to thank for opening world markets
( = the human imagination) to these new concepts.

Kirby


_______________________________________________
Edu-sig mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-sig
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Raspberry Pi?

Bert Freudenberg
On 29.03.2012, at 17:49, kirby urner wrote:

> Raspberry Pi doesn't currently run Python but there is some thought that it should.

Huh? This is what the FAQ says:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs

"Does it have an official programming language?

By default, we’ll be supporting Python as the educational language.

Any language which will compile for ARMv6 can be used with the Raspberry Pi, though; so you’re not limited to using Python."


- Bert -


_______________________________________________
Edu-sig mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-sig
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Raspberry Pi?

Nicholas H.Tollervey
In reply to this post by kirby urner-4
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hi,

I got hold of a RaspberryPi alpha board for last year's PyconUK and
can confirm it most certainly does run Python. The machine I got had a
recent stable Debian on the SD card.

John Pinner currently has the machine if you need more info. I blogged
about it here:

http://ntoll.org/article/baking-with-raspberrypipy

Happy to answer questions.

Nicholas.

On 29/03/12 16:49, kirby urner wrote:

>
> Lots of buzz on PSF list about Python and Raspberry Pi.
>
> I know from independent sources that Python has attracted
> considerable attention in the UK education community.  Also, the
> BBC Micro also came out around this time and our PSF chairman is in
> the UK to help celebrate its anniversary (50th? -- getting there).
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Micro
>
> In having a public charter, unlike private advertiser based
> broadcasters such as Fox, the BBC is rather different from any USA
> channels, including PBS.  Its forays into public policy and
> initiatives, such as the Computer Literacy Project of the 1980s,
> out of which the BBC Micro was born, is not mirrored in the USA.
>
> Raspberry Pi doesn't currently run Python but there is some thought
> that it should.
>
> I haven't researched the GNU / Stallman take yet, though I know
> he's unhappy about the sell-out of Linux distros to closed source
> video drivers, which appear as proprietary blobs (already compiled
> binaries) with no source.  The Raspberry Pi uses secret code to
> drive its GPU so is not technically a purely FLOSS project (as of
> today anyway).
>
> Debian has a long history of working with not-free annexes so this
> will feel like home to most Debian developers.
>
> I'm glad the BBC has a mandate to serve the public in the UK with
> interesting and innovative gadgets.  That's the kind of R&D we like
> to see, including with closed source components (I have access to
> closed source games galore).  Even if the UK versions seem obsolete
> more quickly, because leading edge (like the XO), the follow-on
> products have the BBC to thank for opening world markets ( = the
> human imagination) to these new concepts.
>
> Kirby
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________ Edu-sig mailing
> list [hidden email]
> http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-sig

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJPdIkaAAoJEP0qBPaYQbb6PDAIAJyBtWyWuYGUm1X+RniRt6FF
cjVf7hSzkwpBKfRpACS8cSwOsuLxFNrsVbrTKQ6iw5W1doqQIaeg2n8axEhqTVTX
OI9Siul4IzxkLZ/9F0DK1GcuJmLNXQ8sHdCFNhJTliqv1JnY0IEL3be7fk5u9wJs
/narwDWwZBPwxz+Mlk2M1bX1nXBXXe8l7dPIDYEaw4CY5iuHBzMD1pdtaziEgGrA
mTXKviXMeBDb22Un0n/PJhL2cKMxiFSoBRpXaA4vqAxCymFlv8qDYDpiAPVs1lmE
NqMMg1i3c/hOTtnNKhgtRZWc/oPNOsB+JKOST8sjV9qKg2wkYlq5Cf2dR26wHIM=
=IQE7
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
_______________________________________________
Edu-sig mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-sig
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Raspberry Pi?

Kirby Urner-6
In reply to this post by Bert Freudenberg
On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 9:04 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 29.03.2012, at 17:49, kirby urner wrote:

> Raspberry Pi doesn't currently run Python but there is some thought that it should.

Huh? This is what the FAQ says:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs


Apologies, the buzz on the list (generated by Steve Holden who is over there talking to Eben) had to do with a Python OS, sort of like BASIC was in ROM in early PCs.

Yes, it runs Linux and runs Python atop Linux, like the XO does.

Kirby


_______________________________________________
Edu-sig mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-sig
Loading...