Re: Dynamic Worksheets

Lee Harr-3
>What I'd like to provide is high bandwidth, over-the-wire learning
>experiences, preferably on big plasma, with sensurround sound, that fully
>leverage our capacity for imagination.

Maybe I am a purist, but how does high bandwidth multimedia bring
on the imagination? Seems to me that the kid who turns a rock in to
a spaceship is using more imagination than the kid who sits back and
lets the 3-d virtual reality space complex blast him in to orbit around
the planet Boredium.

It is a very fine line to walk. We want to keep their attention, of course,
but we also want them to create things that we could never have
imagined ourselves.

If education is entertainment, where is the incentive to create?

Maybe the boredom is an integral part of the educational experience.
"These old fogies are so boring. There must be a better way to do this!"

Re: Dynamic Worksheets

Winston Wolff
Right, it seems to me the bandwidth should come from the student's own imagination not from the worksheet.  We just have to define a worksheet and a classroom setting that can accommodate students that take a lesson in 20 different directions.

-ww

On Dec 21, 2005, at 6:16 PM, Lee Harr wrote:

Maybe I am a purist, but how does high bandwidth multimedia bring

on the imagination? Seems to me that the kid who turns a rock in to

a spaceship is using more imagination than the kid who sits back and

lets the 3-d virtual reality space complex blast him in to orbit around

the planet Boredium.

It is a very fine line to walk. We want to keep their attention, of course,

but we also want them to create things that we could never have

imagined ourselves.

If education is entertainment, where is the incentive to create?

Maybe the boredom is an integral part of the educational experience.

"These old fogies are so boring. There must be a better way to do this!"

winston wolff - (646) 827-2242 - http://www.stratolab.com

learning by creating - video game courses for kids in new york

Re: Dynamic Worksheets

kirby urner-4

On 12/21/05, Winston Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:
Right, it seems to me the bandwidth should come from the student's own imagination not from the worksheet.  We just have to define a worksheet and a classroom setting that can accommodate students that take a lesson in 20 different directions.

-ww

I don't see it as either/or.  Like in Uru (computer game), you have to slow down and read ordinary text quite a bit.  A high bandwidth worksheet might send you to the library on assignment (whether that's a "virtual library" or not depends on the context).

We're also giving students tools to create these dynamic workbooks for one another.  Think of it as an art form, like movie making.

Kirby