Re: IPython Notebooks and Active Learning (Matthew Brett)

Re: IPython Notebooks and Active Learning (Matthew Brett)

Mark Bakker
We have developed a series of 15 Notebooks for scientists and engineers who want to use Python programming for exploratory computing, scipting, data analysis, and visualization. No prior knowledge of computer programming is assumed. Each Notebook covers a specific topic and includes a number of exercises. The exercises should take less than 4 hours to complete for each Notebook.

We have developed these Notebooks for an undergraduate class (sophomores) in Civil Engineering. A short survey of the students taking the class (~270 of them) showed that the students really liked the class and learned a lot.

The Notebooks may be viewed at
A link to the GitHub repository is also shown on this page.

Hope you find it useful,

Mark Bakker
TU Delft, The Netherlands

Re: IPython Notebooks and Active Learning (Matthew Brett)

matthewbrett

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 4:50 PM, Mark Bakker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We have developed a series of 15 Notebooks for scientists and engineers who
> want to use Python programming for exploratory computing, scipting, data
> analysis, and visualization. No prior knowledge of computer programming is
> assumed. Each Notebook covers a specific topic and includes a number of
> exercises. The exercises should take less than 4 hours to complete for each
> Notebook.
>
> We have developed these Notebooks for an undergraduate class (sophomores) in
> Civil Engineering. A short survey of the students taking the class (~270 of
> them) showed that the students really liked the class and learned a lot.
>
> The Notebooks may be viewed at
> http://mbakker7.github.io/exploratory_computing_with_python/
> A link to the GitHub repository is also shown on this page.

Thanks a lot for this.   From our feedback, our students liked the
notebooks too - e.g.

"I appreciate the downloadable iPython notebooks with explanations of
what the code is and does - will be a great reference"

I think there's really no question that the notebooks make running
code examples easier and clearer for the teacher and the student.  And
they are indeed a great reference.   The question always is - what do
we want to teach?  In some cases it's probably enough that the
students get the idea, and running / writing code in the notebooks
helps them get the idea.   But the students also implicitly learn that
this is the standard way of working with code, and I personally don't
think we should be teaching that.  So, for me at least, I am trying to
find a way to strike a balance between the ease of writing materials /
ease of getting students running code, and the need for teaching solid
working practice. For example, for the next iteration of our course,
I'm thinking of doing a flipped classroom format, with the tutorials
mostly in IPython notebooks, but doing the exercises in class using
text editor and terminal and git.  I'd also like to try and teach the
IPython notebook as a great tool for sharing and explaining a
workflow, or developing a tutorial.

Cheers,

Matthew

Re: IPython Notebooks and Active Learning (Matthew Brett)

Matthias Bussonnier
If I may suggest too, please use header cell instead of hash in markdown. Header cell are used for section when converting to latex and do automatically generate anchors on nbviewer/html so that you can link to subpart:

Example :

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 11:16 PM, Matthew Brett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 4:50 PM, Mark Bakker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We have developed a series of 15 Notebooks for scientists and engineers who
> want to use Python programming for exploratory computing, scipting, data
> analysis, and visualization. No prior knowledge of computer programming is
> assumed. Each Notebook covers a specific topic and includes a number of
> exercises. The exercises should take less than 4 hours to complete for each
> Notebook.
>
> We have developed these Notebooks for an undergraduate class (sophomores) in
> Civil Engineering. A short survey of the students taking the class (~270 of
> them) showed that the students really liked the class and learned a lot.
>
> The Notebooks may be viewed at
> http://mbakker7.github.io/exploratory_computing_with_python/
> A link to the GitHub repository is also shown on this page.

Thanks a lot for this.   From our feedback, our students liked the
notebooks too - e.g.

"I appreciate the downloadable iPython notebooks with explanations of
what the code is and does - will be a great reference"

I think there's really no question that the notebooks make running
code examples easier and clearer for the teacher and the student.  And
they are indeed a great reference.   The question always is - what do
we want to teach?  In some cases it's probably enough that the
students get the idea, and running / writing code in the notebooks
helps them get the idea.   But the students also implicitly learn that
this is the standard way of working with code, and I personally don't
think we should be teaching that.  So, for me at least, I am trying to
find a way to strike a balance between the ease of writing materials /
ease of getting students running code, and the need for teaching solid
working practice. For example, for the next iteration of our course,
I'm thinking of doing a flipped classroom format, with the tutorials
mostly in IPython notebooks, but doing the exercises in class using
text editor and terminal and git.  I'd also like to try and teach the
IPython notebook as a great tool for sharing and explaining a
workflow, or developing a tutorial.

Cheers,

Matthew

Re: IPython Notebooks and Active Learning (Matthew Brett)

Mark Bakker
Thanks everybody for the feedback and encouragements (somebody already submitted a pull request with a few spelling corrections - thanks!).

I posted a link on the gallery.

Mark

From: Fernando Perez <[hidden email]>

These look great! Could I ask you to add them to the gallery in the
relevant section, along with any other relevant links for them?  They will
be more easily found that way in the future:

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/wiki/A-gallery-of-interesting-IPython-Notebooks#entire-books-or-other-large-collections-of-notebooks-on-a-topic

Re: [IPython-dev] IPython Notebooks and Active Learning (Matthew Brett)

Fernando Perez

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 4:33 AM, Doug Blank <[hidden email]> wrote:
Being in the middle of writing similar notebooks, we found that using header cells can be quite painful when it comes to moving sections around. For example, if you want to move a section, one has to individually select, press up/down, for all cells in a section.

That is really a big pain point in managing any kind of complex/long notebook. Paul Ivanov recently protoyped out a solution for this:

I've been using it and it works fairly well, even though it's not really production-ready yet. We in the core team are really trying to get 3.0 out the door, so I'm not sure how much bandwidth Paul will have for this in the coming weeks. But it would be a great tool to finish up, because it's *super* useful.

If anyone can pitch in to help Paul out with this code, it would be a great contribution that would make everyone's life a lot easier...

Cheers

Re: [IPython-dev] IPython Notebooks and Active Learning (Matthew Brett)

Fernando Perez
On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 5:42 PM, Doug Blank <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, many problems can be solved by being able to select multiple cells, and operate on them. One should be able to make many of the operations that can work on a selected cell to work on a set of selected cells. This extension is really only a temporary workaround for that kind of functionality.

And, once there is a method to select multiple cells, it would be really handy to be able to drag and drop those cells where you want them.

Yup, ultimately that's the UI work that needs to be done.

But, I am really looking forward to a server-based Jupyter setup, with selectable kernels, so I don't want to distract from the big picture :) With the set of extension tools we have now, we are confident that this will work well for a writing course this fall.

Thanks for your patience, and kudos on the great work you've been doing on your side!