Re: Invoking IPython programmatically

Frank Smith-14
The requirement I have is the ability to work with the .net side of my application interactively with Python. I really like the various autocomplete features of ipython, which is why I decided to go that way.

I finally figured out how to invoke ipython programmatically, using one of the Python environment variables, PYTHONSTARTUP, I believe. I'm on vacation at the moment so I don't have all of the details handy, but when I get back I will post them.

Barton, can you please elaborate on why you think I should stay far away from ipython? If there are significant issues, I would be very interested in learning about them.

Thanks,
Frank.

Sent from my iPad

On 2011-02-19, at 4:16 PM, Barton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, Frank,
> I was just going through the archives - don't know why this wasn't delivered to my email:
>
> I routinely mix Python/wxPython/etc. with .NET via PythonDotNet without the need for IPy.
> Is there some special need that you have for IPy or have you jumped to the conclusion that it is required?
>
> Unless you have some special need to make IPy part of your application, please stay far, far away from it (you'll thank yourself later).
>
> Please feel free to continue the discussion on the list - I'm replying directly because I am unable to site your original mail.
>
> Thanks,
> Barton

Re: Invoking IPython programmatically

Barton
In a word - Bloat -
But you very well may have an interesting solution to the auto-complete
issue.

I've been considering what to do about that in Boa for a while now.