Re: [Jython-users] Can I help in adding some documentation?

Re: [Jython-users] Can I help in adding some documentation?

fwierzbicki@gmail.com
Hi Ray,

The Jython javadocs are indeed lacking, you could really begin
anywhere that interests you.  Javadoc comments should probably be sent
in as patches just like code is sent.  Website docs are a different
matter, but I'll have more to say about that when the new look and
feel goes live (see http://www.jython.org/mockup).  Patches go here:

By the way, this sort of question more properly goes to the jython-dev
list.  I've CC'ed my comments there.

-Frank

On 3/19/06, Ray Djajadinata <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Jython developers,
>
> I spent about 2-3 hours yesterday playing with Jython source, trying to fit it in into the new Mustang's javax.script. What I found was that although I can figure out the code by reading it, the javadoc for those classes are quite lacking, e.g.: what is Py.compiler_command_flags? What is PythonInterpreter.getLocals() and setLocals()? What should be the type of locals (I'm guessing PyDictionary--am I right?)
>
> (To be fair, the javadoc for javax.script is not very clear either sometimes--I've gotta see how sun implements their Rhino engine sometimes to get what it means.)
>
> So I was wondering--which part of Jython do you think need documentation the most? I can help by writing some Javadocs and learning Jython more along the way. Of course I need your guidance, lest I do more harm than good! :)
>
> Warm regards,
> Ray

What is UnicastRemoteObject for? (Was: Re: [Jython-users] Can I help in adding some documentation?)

Ray Djajadinata
Hello,

I've been going thru Jython source code and compiling and tracing it through Eclipse in my attempt to add some meaningful javadocs to the source. One thing I noticed, I had to turn off a lot of warnings such as deprecation warnings, static access, etc. I noticed that Shane Hathaway had actually created a patch to silence some of these warnings, you can see it at the following URL:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=312867&aid=981445&group_id=12867

Is there a plan to incorporate this patch?

Also, what is org.python.rmi.UnicastRemoteObject for? It has a member, "remote", that never gets initialized in the constructor, actually, so it's not like it'll function correctly for whatever its purpose is. Also, there seems to be no other classes that refer to this class--is there a reason why it is still there in HEAD?

Thanks,
Ray

Re: What is UnicastRemoteObject for? (Was: Re: [Jython-users] Can I help in adding some documentation?)

Samuele Pedroni
Ray Djajadinata wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I've been going thru Jython source code and compiling and tracing it through Eclipse in my attempt to add some meaningful javadocs to the source. One thing I noticed, I had to turn off a lot of warnings such as deprecation warnings, static access, etc. I noticed that Shane Hathaway had actually created a patch to silence some of these warnings, you can see it at the following URL:
>
>https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=312867&aid=981445&group_id=12867
>
>Is there a plan to incorporate this patch?
>
>Also, what is org.python.rmi.UnicastRemoteObject for? It has a member, "remote", that never gets initialized in the constructor, actually, so it's not like it'll function correctly for whatever its purpose is. Also, there seems to be no other classes that refer to this class--is there a reason why it is still there in HEAD?

indeed AFAIK it has no purpose. Notice in general that not all public
methods are really intended to be part of the "public" API. They are
just an artifact of using more than
one package for the all of jython.

>Thanks,
>Ray

Re: What is UnicastRemoteObject for? (Was: Re: [Jython-users] Can I help in adding some documentation?)

Ray Djajadinata
Thanks Samuele,

How about the cleanup of the code in general, I'm referring to the numerous Eclipse warnings and such, re: the patch Shane made sometime back?  Would there be a plan to incorporate such?

Re: What is UnicastRemoteObject for? (Was: Re: [Jython-users] Can I help in adding some documentation?)

fwierzbicki@gmail.com
I plan to go through all of the patches and bug reports to at least
prioritize them, and apply the patches that look low-risk.  This patch
may be one of those.