Re: [Jython-users] Re:Re Jython imports cofusion

Re: [Jython-users] Re:Re Jython imports cofusion

fwierzbicki@gmail.com
> PS: Any news about the beta?

While researching the inclusion of PyXML into jython I found that I
was going to have to pull in files from Python 2.3 to get the latest
to work.  We've already pulled in so many 2.3 libs, that I think it is
time to just move the project to 2.3.  If I don't move to 2.3, there
will almost certainly be weird bugs from libs that where not meant to
co-mingle.  That doesn't even get into the support issues and
confusion that will be caused by some of Jython acting like 2.2 and
some acting like 2.3.  The downside to all of this is that getting to
a beta will take longer.  I'll be putting up a projected roadmap
pretty soon, but I don't have hard dates to give yet.

-Frank

Re: [Jython-users] Re:Re Jython imports cofusion

fwierzbicki@gmail.com
> While researching the inclusion of PyXML into jython I found that I
> was going to have to pull in files from Python 2.3 to get the latest
> to work.  We've already pulled in so many 2.3 libs, that I think it is
> time to just move the project to 2.3.  If I don't move to 2.3, there
> will almost certainly be weird bugs from libs that where not meant to
> co-mingle.  That doesn't even get into the support issues and
> confusion that will be caused by some of Jython acting like 2.2 and
> some acting like 2.3.  The downside to all of this is that getting to
> a beta will take longer.  I'll be putting up a projected roadmap
> pretty soon, but I don't have hard dates to give yet.
Hey all,

Samuele Pedroni has expressed some reservations with this plan.  He's
talked me back into my previous position, which was to get a 2.2 out
before attempting to go to 2.3, even though it does mean putting out a
2.2/2.3 hybrid, so I'm going to keep plugging away at a 2.2 release
instead.  The big plus is that I will get to a beta sooner.

-Frank

Re: [Jython-users] Re:Re Jython imports cofusion

Khalid Zuberi
On 2/10/06, Frank Wierzbicki <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > While researching the inclusion of PyXML into jython I found that I
> > was going to have to pull in files from Python 2.3 to get the latest
> > to work.  We've already pulled in so many 2.3 libs, that I think it is
> > time to just move the project to 2.3.  If I don't move to 2.3, there
> > will almost certainly be weird bugs from libs that where not meant to
> > co-mingle.  That doesn't even get into the support issues and
> > confusion that will be caused by some of Jython acting like 2.2 and
> > some acting like 2.3.  The downside to all of this is that getting to
> > a beta will take longer.  I'll be putting up a projected roadmap
> > pretty soon, but I don't have hard dates to give yet.
> Hey all,
>
> Samuele Pedroni has expressed some reservations with this plan.  He's
> talked me back into my previous position, which was to get a 2.2 out
> before attempting to go to 2.3, even though it does mean putting out a
> 2.2/2.3 hybrid, so I'm going to keep plugging away at a 2.2 release
> instead.  The big plus is that I will get to a beta sooner.
>
> -Frank

Does jython also bundle in the corresponding 2.3 unit tests for the
libs it has pulled in? So if i build jython cvs configured with
cpython 2.2 am i getting appropriate test coverage or do i need to
manually pull in some additional tests from cpython 2.3? If so, which
ones?

Thanks,
- kz

Re: [Jython-users] Re:Re Jython imports cofusion

fwierzbicki@gmail.com
Unit tests from CPython2.3 are pulled in as the corresponding
CPython2.3 libs or functionality is pulled in.  When tests are pulled
in "by hand" like this they go in <Jython Root>/Lib/test/

-Frank