Re: [Jython-users] Re: Where do we go from here to get to 2.2 "proper"

Re: [Jython-users] Re: Where do we go from here to get to 2.2 "proper"

Leo User
Are Frank and Samuele stepping out of the picture?  I
must have missed that one! :D

leouser

--- Walter Chang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ray/KZ,
>
> I think that you guys mentioned some very important
> things:
>
> - Lack of core project knowledge
> - Lack of PR (updated website, news, releases...)
> - fair amount of activity on the mailing list
> - Samuele is the current bridge (I think frank is
> too...)
> - do we need coporate sponsership?
>
> May we perhaps implore Samuele and Frank to do some
> sort of handover
> for new developers?
>
> This would minimzie the "bumps" in the road that
> someone would have to
> go through to be productive with contributing to
> jython core...
>
> We should see what Frank has left with the website,
> and have some
> people volunteer to free him up to do this handover?
>
> I agree with Ray that although the webiste is
> good...it's a nice to
> have....we would be more excited about a new 2.2
> release than the new
> website (it's nice tho...)
>
> But the basic things should be done...SF project
> summary page should
> be updated....the old site news should be
> updated....that stuff would
> draw attention as well.
>
> I don't think that corporate sponsership is the only
> option, but it
> shouldn't be overlooked as one :)  In any case,
> people need to feed
> themselves and if they can do it while working on
> jython, that would
> be pretty cool...
>
> Our strenght is our product...we have a great one,
> as well as great
> people who are helping out on the mailing
> list...let's make sure this
> is highlighted in our new website :)
>
> Regards,
> Walter

> groundbreaking scripting language
> that extends applications into web and mobile media.
> Attend the live webcast
> and join the prime developer group breaking into
> this new coding territory!

Re: Re: [Jython-users] Re: Where do we go from here to get to 2.2 "proper"

Leo User
Thank goodness! :D  When I here talk of handing off
stuff I sometimes think someone is leaving the
project.

When I was talking about going to java.net and putting
up a help wanted add, I meant something like this:
http://community.java.net/help_wanted/

I think even if jython isn't in java.net the idea may
be good.  People can peruse the mailing lists but I
have no idea what work needs to be done.  Having some
indication of work that a developer might like to do
may be 50% of the process in getting them involved.
Otherwise, how does someone get involved?

leouser

--- Walter Chang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> no...i certainly hope not!!
>
> We were just metioning the possibility of a
> developer handover so new
> developers can get up to speed more easily :)
>

> On 3/28/06, Leo User <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Are Frank and Samuele stepping out of the picture?
> > must have missed that one! :D
> >
> > leouser
> > --
>

> Simplicity--the art of maximizing the amount
> of work not done--is essential.
> from: http://www.agilemanifesto.org/principles.html

> groundbreaking scripting language
> that extends applications into web and mobile media.
> Attend the live webcast
> and join the prime developer group breaking into
> this new coding territory!

Re: Re: [Jython-users] Re: Where do we go from here to get to 2.2 "proper"

Leo User
It may be even possible to just federate with them and
reuse their advertising services:
http://www.java.net/federating.csp

Ill also bet people would pay attention to any
developer blogs that are posted over there.  They can
be a real hoot sometimes(and also very interesting).