Re: [Jython-users] Where do we go from here to get to 2.2 "proper" ?

Re: [Jython-users] Where do we go from here to get to 2.2 "proper" ?

fwierzbicki@gmail.com
On 3/25/06, Walter Chang <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We use jython 2.1 in one of our projects at work, and am looking at
> migrating to jython 2.2. (we use it in a bpm-like context...and would
> like to begin using generators)
>
> However, it seems that the progress on that front is a bit
> stagnant...there seems to be a lack of transparancy as to what are the
> outstanding items to get there...
I have to confess that blame for the current stagnation has to fall on
me.  With a day job, family, etc.  It can be tough to find all of the
time that I should be putting in to Jython since the current
leadership role has been given to me.

> - The psf proposal/grant that Brian had (and now Fank) been working on
> is way behind schedule
I'll put up a revised schedule as soon as I've finished working it out
with the PSF.  Also, the contract requires me to vet in public
discussion about it with them.

> - lack of clarity in regards to the resouces on this project (roles
> and responsiblities)
> - what is the roadmap of jython when factoring in jdk 1.5 and jdk 1.6
It works with 1.5, but hasn't been tested with 1.6.

> - what are the roadblocks getting us to 2.2 (and beyond)
That will require a post of its own.

> - the "main" jython.org site is way way out of date
This is what I am currently working on, a final mockup should be up
soon, then a full switch-over soon after that.  See
http://www.jython.org/mockup for an outdated mockup that will show the
look and feel.

> - the "perception" of lack of leadership
:(

> - jython resouces are plentiful (ibm development works, java
> salon...etc) but not organized
> - jython main site docs are useful...but not current
>
> I don't know if many other people feel the same way but jython as a
> project in general seems to be "lagging"
>
> It would be great to clear the "project management" stuff up so that
> we can see more "involvement"
>
> We should try to get the people who already use jython involved (which
> seems to be quite a few judging from the press we get from
> developerWorks, java serverside.com, OReily) rather than making a new
> spiffy website to drum up interest for "new" developers.
>
> I don't think I can speak for the whole community, but speaking just
> in regards to our group at work....we care more about:
>
> - bugfixes
> - project leadership (highlighing roadblocks and working with other
> projects to resolve them)
> - roadmap for java integration
> - roadmap for integration with other pure python projects (like cherrypy....)
> - roadmap for python 2.X builtin module integration
> - documentation update
> - frequent releases
I have three big tasks that I'll be finalizing soon:
1. Get the new website up.
2. Move to subversion (more about this soon)
3. Go through the bugs and patches to prioritize/reject/apply

After that I'll be in a better place to create roadmaps, etc.

Thanks,

-Frank

Re: [Jython-users] Where do we go from here to get to 2.2 "proper" ?

Walter Chang-2
Samuele,
I agree with you that jython is complex simlar to a race car
engine...alot of care is needed to prevent regression....maybe the
gripes I have are that it doesn't "seem" to be moving quickly "enough"

If it is a resoucing, talent issue...than it should be made known
clearly where and what is needed...so we can use the strength of the
community...the stakeholders to come to a solution.

Just saying "no money" or "I'm only doing it in my spare time" is not
healthy for a project with such great potential....

If prioritzation is problematic, perhaps the bug tracking system the
sf has isn't doing it for us....or if that's not the case...what is??

If we need to do "cleanup" why can't we learn from our big brother
CPython and have sprints to focus our development efforts.... this
might uncover resoucing issues, but that's what needs to be done to
clean out the cobwebs...no?

Although a great product...as a OS project there's plenty of tricks we
should try to pick up from projects that are getting the resouces, the
funding, the sponserships...

Regards,
Walter

--
Simplicity--the art of maximizing the amount
of work not done--is essential.

Re: [Jython-users] Where do we go from here to get to 2.2 "proper" ?

Khalid Zuberi
On 3/28/06, Frank Wierzbicki <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 3. Go through the bugs and patches to prioritize/reject/apply

For what its worth, i have a little script to create tracker summaries
similar to those posted for cpython development that i thought i might
inflict on jython-dev periodically. Just hoping that a bit more
visibility of the trackers might draw some more attention to them from
the knowledgeable lurkers here.

- kz

Re: [Jython-users] Where do we go from here to get to 2.2 "proper" ?

fwierzbicki@gmail.com
Please -- inflict away!