Re: [Jython-users] re: where to go from here...get the PSF proposal right!

Re: [Jython-users] re: where to go from here...get the PSF proposal right!

Leo User

--- Frank Wierzbicki <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Somebody recently made the point that Jython gets
> a sort of commercial twang by virtue of its
> association with Java. I think this is true and can
> be leveraged. If we could just get a Sun or IBM or a
> BEA or a Nokia to donate - not cash - but developer
> time - to Jython I think that would be a great way
> forward.
>
> Although not as big as the others, RedHat (I
> believe) has already done
> some work on the GCJ side to make the GCJ/Classpath
> stack more
> friendly to Jython 2.1.  They might be willing to
> lend some developer
> time to Jython itself, who knows?

> groundbreaking scripting language
> that extends applications into web and mobile media.
> Attend the live webcast
> and join the prime developer group breaking into
> this new coding territory!

One weakness with expecting a company to denote time
to developing Jython is that suddenly all the other
language implementations would start to expect it.
Arguably, since this is the Jython community we see
ourselves as special and have not problem expecting
this. :D

Though it is possible that Sun may through some
resources in getting the binding for
javax.script/jython going.  Who can say?

leouser

Re: Re: [Jython-users] re: where to go from here...get the PSF proposal right!

Kent Johnson
Leo User wrote:

> --- Frank Wierzbicki <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>>Somebody recently made the point that Jython gets
>>
>>a sort of commercial twang by virtue of its
>>association with Java. I think this is true and can
>>be leveraged. If we could just get a Sun or IBM or a
>>BEA or a Nokia to donate - not cash - but developer
>>time - to Jython I think that would be a great way
>>forward.
>
> One weakness with expecting a company to denote time
> to developing Jython is that suddenly all the other
> language implementations would start to expect it.
> Arguably, since this is the Jython community we see
> ourselves as special and have not problem expecting
> this. :D

Not sure which languages you are referring to. In the Python world, at
least, Jython is special by it's *lack* of corporate support - Google is
allowing GvR to work 50% of the time on Python 3.0; Microsoft pays Jim
Huginin to work 100% (AFAIK) on IronPython. The European Union is giving
considerable funding PyPy.

Kent