Re: Kickstarter for Emacs

Andreas Röhler-2
Am 18.04.2012 18:08, schrieb Ivan Andrus:
> On Apr 18, 2012, at 9:08 AM, Tom wrote:
>
>> I wonder if there be would be enough backers to implement such features
>> in emacs. Could it be an alternative model for funding Emacs development?
>> (Of course, the code should be GPL and stuff, so it would be released
>> to the community when the project is completed.)
>
> How much would it cost me to get the python modes combined into one?

As far as shipped python.el reaches, python-mode.el follows it's path and provides it's features.
Most of python.el is merged, so it's basically a subset of python-mode.el now.

The diff in short is twofold:

- python-mode.el delivers much more, finer grained commands. Have a look at the menu.
- python-mode.el allows to specify a full path/to/local/Python --also on the fly--, instead of the need
  to customize default shell again and again. Should allow to switch easily between virtualenvs.

Andreas

--
http://launchpad.net/python-mode
http://launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/

[ ... ]

Re: Kickstarter for Emacs

Andreas Röhler-2
Am 18.04.2012 21:04, schrieb aaditya sood:

> Ivan Andrus<darthandrus<at>  gmail.com>  writes:
>
>> How much would it cost me to get the python modes combined into one?
>> Ideally being backwards compatible with your python-mode of choice.
>> This is a perfect project I think because it's a large initial
>> undertaking but no additional maintenance work would be necessary once
>> it's done.  If nothing else we could use the money to pay people to
>> not use different modes.
>
> I would happily contribute $200 towards project for out-of-box python
> completion and structure parsing. Semantic and cedet, while great, are
> slow for large projects and make emacs perceptively slow.

the first is already in the pipe, with several bug-reports around.

As for the structure parsing some specification is useful.

Please make a Blueprint for your requests at

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/python-mode

Thanks,

Andreas

>> Really good support for multiple modes is another that would get lots
>> of backers I think.  I certainly don't have the expertise to even
>> speculate on how hard it would be, but I would be willing to pitch in
>> some money for it if I thought it would actually get done well.  I say
>> that not to disparage mmm-mode and friends, but I think it has to be
>> taken into account at a very low level.
>
> This is another pet peeve. Especially for writing html with css,
> javascript and mako.  nxhtml-mode is pretty cool, but again makes
> emacs slow. I'd like some support in core emacs, which would be
> hopefully faster.
>
> --
> aaditya

Re: Kickstarter for Emacs

Andreas Röhler-2
Am 19.04.2012 03:50, schrieb Chong Yidong:
> Ivan Andrus<[hidden email]>  writes:
>
>> How much would it cost me to get the python modes combined into one?
>
> We cannot use python-mode.el because its copyright is not assigned to
> the FSF.

All people are free to use it, as it GPL v3

If GPL is not good enough, what a kind of signal does it send?

Cheers