Re: List of desired features on Wiki... and what about them?

Re: List of desired features on Wiki... and what about them?

Daron Rogers
Thanks Glen for pointing me to the wiki. Guess I forgot about that.
However, what about the delegation part of my previous comment? Who are
the programmers to PyCAD? How many are there presently? Are the different
"wish list" items being worked on by specific individuals or is it a whom
ever feels like it sort of thing? Can these questions also be answered on
the wiki?

Re: List of desired features on Wiki... and what about them?

Art Haas
On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 09:46:14AM -0500, Daron Rogers wrote:
> Thanks Glen for pointing me to the wiki. Guess I forgot about that.
> However, what about the delegation part of my previous comment? Who are
> the programmers to PyCAD? How many are there presently? Are the different
> "wish list" items being worked on by specific individuals or is it a whom
> ever feels like it sort of thing? Can these questions also be answered on
> the wiki?

I'm the only regular programmer on the project. Other people have
contributed bug fixes and patches, but there hasn't been anyone who has
become a regular contributor. That's the problem I'm hoping to resolve,
and I'm glad to see that there's been some traffic on the mailing list
discussing this.

The PythonCAD code is, in my view, easier to comprehend than code
written in a lower level language like C or C++, and I've always hoped
that by making the language hurdle lower more people would consider
contributing. It will take some time to dig through the code to start to
see how the pieces fit together, and it's my fault that the
documentation, or lack thereof, is primarily comments in the code and
doc strings.

I also know that contributing to an open source project is dependent on
just how much of their free time someone can devote to working on
something like PythonCAD. I've felt that projects like PythonCAD will
have a harder time drawing developers because the program is targeted to
a specific segment of computer users that typically don't code general
applications. A CAD package is probably of little interest to most
programmers as it isn't the type of software they would use on a daily
basis. It's a challenge to attract programmers to contribute to most
open-source packages, especially not the high profile programs like the
Linux kernel, GCC, KDE, GNOME, the various BSD distros, etc.

Art

-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822

Re: List of desired features on Wiki... and what about them?

Russ Nelson
Art Haas writes:
 > I'm the only regular programmer on the project. Other people have
 > contributed bug fixes and patches, but there hasn't been anyone who has
 > become a regular contributor. That's the problem I'm hoping to resolve,
 > and I'm glad to see that there's been some traffic on the mailing list
 > discussing this.

I'm one of the people who contributed a little bit to PythonCAD.  I
used it for what I needed, and didn't have any call for it after that.

I'm thinking, though, that the Big Blue Saw folks (CC'ed) might want
to give it the ability to generate output that they could use.  They
could then point folks to a CAD package that's easy to use and Open
Source.

I was planning to use the Big Blue Saw (http://www.bigbluesaw.com) for
a project, but found a better method for mounting my parts.

--
--my blog is at    http://blog.russnelson.com   | In my head, I'm
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | violating your

Re: Other Linux CAD applications as examples

Glenn Meader

List Of Linux CAD apps - some of which are open-source
http://www.tech-edv.co.at/lunix/CADlinks.html

Note JavaCAD: http://javacad.sourceforge.net is more featureful than
PythonCAD. Might be a place to get ideas / algorithms.

Open Source software for non-programmers

Glenn Meader
There are many examples of successful open-source software targeted at
non-programmers.

In the graphics arena, there are the well-known: Gimp, Blender, Skencil, and
Inkscape

Inkscape http://inkscape.org/  is definitely worth exploring as it is a
high-quality vector graphics end-user application similar to Illustrator,
Freehand, CorelDraw, that seriously supports scripting/extending in Python
(tutorials on using Python with it are even supplied).

Also the documentation for developers on their Wiki is exemplary.
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Inkscape

Extensive list of Open source Graphics related software:
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/List_of_FLOSS_Graphics_Applications
(on the Wiki of a powerful desktop publishing app.)

Re: List of desired features on Wiki... and what about them?

Simon Arthur
PythonCAD just needs to be able to export to DXF version 12 in order to
work with Big Blue Saw.

Right now, PythonCAD is not easy enough to use to be useful for our
customers. This isn't going to change any time in the near future, as,
like so many other programs, it works like AutoCAD, rather than
implementing modern UI concepts.

There's already an open source AutoCAD workalike out there that's much
more advanced than PythonCAD: QCad. I use it all the time.

Simon Arthur
Big Blue Saw