Re: MAPI & IronPython

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MAPI & IronPython

yahody
The problem is that I don't know MAPI at all, so I don't know where to begin. We do not use Outlook at all. What I am attempting to do is create some way to set my little script as a default email client so I can redirect the file to our web client, which happens to be Zimbra Web mail, an open source project.

Thunderbird registers itself as a default email client and it appears to stick some kind of mapi dll file in the registry. I don't have one of those, so I just tried sticking an exe of my own in there that  I had created that doesn't do anything except generate a log file. Office just complains that I don't have a proper email client and cancels the request.

- Mike


On 4/6/2011 11:08 AM, Perez, Justin wrote:

Hi Mike, I am no programmer ( I don't know what stub means; definition-yes, practical appliance-no).  Please post your finished work on the mailing list or email me.  I am using the mapi and cdo api's from microsoft to automate emails for MS Outlook using CPython, if I can help in any way on that.

 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms527491%28EXCHG.10%29.aspx

 

I have plenty of code which goes through inboxes and this sort of thing.  Good luck and I hope to see some IronPython code targeting the MAPI!

 

Justin Perez

Energy Transfer

Houston

Pipeline Integrity GIS

281.714.2382

 




_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ironpython.com/listinfo.cgi/users-ironpython.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MAPI & IronPython

Daniel D.-4
Somehow I think you meant to say IMAP, not MAPI.

Thunderbird cannot talk MAPI. It must be IMAP. In that case, it's
easer, but you still need a lib that talks IMAP. Python has imaplib
modue that even supports SSLed connections.

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 12:31, Mike Driscoll <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The problem is that I don't know MAPI at all, so I don't know where to
> begin. We do not use Outlook at all. What I am attempting to do is create
> some way to set my little script as a default email client so I can redirect
> the file to our web client, which happens to be Zimbra Web mail, an open
> source project.
>
> Thunderbird registers itself as a default email client and it appears to
> stick some kind of mapi dll file in the registry. I don't have one of those,
> so I just tried sticking an exe of my own in there that  I had created that
> doesn't do anything except generate a log file. Office just complains that I
> don't have a proper email client and cancels the request.
>
> - Mike
>
>
> On 4/6/2011 11:08 AM, Perez, Justin wrote:
>
> Hi Mike, I am no programmer ( I don't know what stub means; definition-yes,
> practical appliance-no).  Please post your finished work on the mailing list
> or email me.  I am using the mapi and cdo api's from microsoft to automate
> emails for MS Outlook using CPython, if I can help in any way on that.
>
>
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms527491%28EXCHG.10%29.aspx
>
>
>
> I have plenty of code which goes through inboxes and this sort of thing.
> Good luck and I hope to see some IronPython code targeting the MAPI!
>
>
>
> Justin Perez
>
> Energy Transfer
>
> Houston
>
> Pipeline Integrity GIS
>
> 281.714.2382
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.ironpython.com/listinfo.cgi/users-ironpython.com
>
>
_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ironpython.com/listinfo.cgi/users-ironpython.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MAPI & IronPython

yahody
In reply to this post by yahody
On 4/7/2011 3:23 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 15:52:10 -0700
> From: "Daniel D."<[hidden email]>
> To: Discussion of IronPython<[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [IronPython] MAPI&  IronPython
> Message-ID:<BANLkTikO-3gvVE8rgxCm_yxMx2LeK=[hidden email]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>
> Somehow I think you meant to say IMAP, not MAPI.
>
> Thunderbird cannot talk MAPI. It must be IMAP. In that case, it's
> easer, but you still need a lib that talks IMAP. Python has imaplib
> modue that even supports SSLed connections.

I don't think so. If you go to HKLM\Software\Clients\Mail\Mozilla
Thunderbird and look at their DLL key, you'll see something like this:
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\mozMapi32_InUse.dll

To me, that says they include some implementation of Mapi to be
compatible with Office, Adobe and whoever else uses the Send to Email
menu option. IMAP has nothing to do with it. I suspect that I can have
Thunderbird set up to SMTP and POP and it will behave the same way
because it needs MAPI for the Send To.

- Mike

_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ironpython.com/listinfo.cgi/users-ironpython.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MAPI & IronPython

Daniel D.-4
We probably digressed on the subject of Thunderbird. It can't talk
MAPI to server - i meant. It supports MAPI as way to allow windows to
route the emails through it. More here:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/MAPI_Support

Back to your issue:
Python + Zimbra.

Zimbra can speak both MAPI and IMAP. For what you need (email client)
- IMAP is sufficient. if you can convince the admin t share with you
IMAP set up for Zimbra, your problem is solved. If MAPI is all the
server can talk, and it's not actual Exchange, use a MAPI client to
talk to it.

You don't need Outlook to talk to MAPI server. You can get barebones
MAPI libs on a windows machine and have Redemption to talk to it.
Either way, MAPI to server is a pain. Better try to get IMAP settings
exposed to you to the Zimbra server, then use the flavor of Python you
want with standard IMAPlib module.

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 13:42, Mike Driscoll <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/7/2011 3:23 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 15:52:10 -0700
>> From: "Daniel D."<[hidden email]>
>> To: Discussion of IronPython<[hidden email]>
>> Subject: Re: [IronPython] MAPI&  IronPython
>> Message-ID:<BANLkTikO-3gvVE8rgxCm_yxMx2LeK=[hidden email]>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>>
>> Somehow I think you meant to say IMAP, not MAPI.
>>
>> Thunderbird cannot talk MAPI. It must be IMAP. In that case, it's
>> easer, but you still need a lib that talks IMAP. Python has imaplib
>> modue that even supports SSLed connections.
>
> I don't think so. If you go to HKLM\Software\Clients\Mail\Mozilla
> Thunderbird and look at their DLL key, you'll see something like this:
> C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\mozMapi32_InUse.dll
>
> To me, that says they include some implementation of Mapi to be compatible
> with Office, Adobe and whoever else uses the Send to Email menu option. IMAP
> has nothing to do with it. I suspect that I can have Thunderbird set up to
> SMTP and POP and it will behave the same way because it needs MAPI for the
> Send To.
>
> - Mike
>
> _______________________________________________
> Users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.ironpython.com/listinfo.cgi/users-ironpython.com
>
_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ironpython.com/listinfo.cgi/users-ironpython.com