Re: [Merge] lp:~a-roehler/python-mode/string-to-syntax into lp:python-mode

Re: [Merge] lp:~a-roehler/python-mode/string-to-syntax into lp:python-mode

Skip Montanaro-3

Sorry this got all garbled, however...

    Andreas> diff python-mode.el.THIS python-mode.el.BASE
    Andreas> 447c447
    Andreas> <              (syntax (parse-partial-sexp (point-min) (point))))
    Andreas> ---
    >> (syntax (syntax-ppss)))
    Andreas> 463c463
    Andreas> <         (unless (eq 'string (syntax-ppss-context (parse-partial-sexp
    Andreas> (point-min) (point))))

The call to syntax-ppss-context probably has to be replaced by something
XEmacs-compatible too.

Apologies if I've not read Andreas's diff correctly.

Skip

Re: [Merge] lp:~a-roehler/python-mode/string-to-syntax into lp:python-mode

Andreas Röhler-2
Am 12.01.2011 03:50, schrieb [hidden email]:

> Sorry this got all garbled, however...
>
>      Andreas>  diff python-mode.el.THIS python-mode.el.BASE
>      Andreas>  447c447
>      Andreas>  <               (syntax (parse-partial-sexp (point-min) (point))))
>      Andreas>  ---
>      >>  (syntax (syntax-ppss)))
>      Andreas>  463c463
>      Andreas>  <          (unless (eq 'string (syntax-ppss-context (parse-partial-sexp
>      Andreas>  (point-min) (point))))
>
> The call to syntax-ppss-context probably has to be replaced by something
> XEmacs-compatible too.
>
> Apologies if I've not read Andreas's diff correctly.
>
> Skip

Hi Skip,

thanks. See I still have to deal with `syntax-ppss-context' unknown to
XEmacs - which is not a surprise...

Allthough I'm confident solving this within a reasonable time, please
permit some considerations concerning XEmacs compatibility though.

Unfortunatly the tqs-syntax matter was not just copy-and-paste as Georg
assumed :-)

Tweaking that in a different environment required some effort. And still
we have tqs-bugs, just no valid report for it AFAIS.

As the tqs-handling is crucial for any python-mode,  consider that a
task of first order.

Python.el seems not to show this bug, copy-and-paste indeed might solve
it here once and for all. But XEmacs compatibility is broken than. As
XEmacs has proclaimed it's intend to merge up with GNU code, that may
pay for a while.

Bluntly said: Beside of the pps issue going to be solved, don't foresee
keeping a fully compatible python-mode. Trying that, I'm afraid we will
go out of business alltogether.

A solution might be keeping an XEmacs compatible separate version. Would
mean another split and python-mode version around... :(

OTOH: we could proceed then much faster with the GNU-branch, having
again a reliable, maybe most advanced python-mode.

Also, when fixing a bug there, we always may have a look, if its
possible similar inside existing XE branch.

Having a running XEamcs still, I'd be willing to take part.

Well, just addressing the matter

Andreas

Re: [Merge] lp:~a-roehler/python-mode/string-to-syntax into lp:python-mode

Barry Warsaw
On Jan 12, 2011, at 09:34 AM, Andreas Röhler wrote:

>Bluntly said: Beside of the pps issue going to be solved, don't foresee
>keeping a fully compatible python-mode. Trying that, I'm afraid we will go
>out of business alltogether.
>
>A solution might be keeping an XEmacs compatible separate version. Would mean
>another split and python-mode version around... :(

Which would effectively kill XEmacs support forever.  If we were to fork, I
suspect that fork would die a quick death.  Better to keep one version even if
XEmacs support is temporarily broken.  If we don't have enough XEmacs testers
or contributors to ensure it works before a release, we'll just to have to
make a lesser guarantee and hope for patches from interested parties (hi Skip
:).

Speaking of which, I will wait until Skip gives me the green light and then I
will release a 5.2.1 that fixes the XEmacs support.  Just let me know.

-Barry

Re: [Merge] lp:~a-roehler/python-mode/string-to-syntax into lp:python-mode

Skip Montanaro-3

    Andreas> As XEmacs has proclaimed it's intend to merge up with GNU code,
    Andreas> that may pay for a while.

I wouldn't hold my breath.  As Barry indicated, XEmacs doesn't seem to be
progressing.  I haven't seen a release of any kind for quite awhile.

    Andreas> A solution might be keeping an XEmacs compatible separate
    Andreas> version. Would mean another split and python-mode version
    Andreas> around... :(

    Andreas> OTOH: we could proceed then much faster with the GNU-branch,
    Andreas> having again a reliable, maybe most advanced python-mode.

Why not just refer to the last version which was XEmacs-friendly on the
Launchpad download site?  I think 5.1.0.  Modify 5.2.0 and greater if it's
loaded in an XEmacs session that certain stuff won't work until such time in
the future that it does work in that environment again.

Skip

On Jan 12, 2011, at 07:16 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

>Why not just refer to the last version which was XEmacs-friendly on the
>Launchpad download site?  I think 5.1.0.  Modify 5.2.0 and greater if it's
>loaded in an XEmacs session that certain stuff won't work until such time in
>the future that it does work in that environment again.

There doesn't seem to be a way to have the project page show downloads from
anything but the current release.  However, old releases are still there:

    https://launchpad.net/python-mode/+download

Still, I think it would ultimately be best if we could continue to support
XEmacs for basic editing.  We'll have to rely on XEmacs users to test things,
but I'm also happy waiting for Skip (or whomever) to give the green light for
XEmacs compatibility before I announce a new release.

I think it would also be okay if some reduced functionality is allowed to
creep in, but let's be explicit about it.  I.e. the mode should not crash in
XEmacs, and basic editing should always work, but it would be okay if some
Emacs-only feature were supported with no equivalent in XEmacs.

But maybe there will come a point where XEmacs (or our support of it) just has
to be declared dead.  I dunno, and I don't want to make that decision, so as
long as Skip's still using it I think we should try to continue to support it.

-Barry